Re: One way to shutdown

To be honest, in systems where I get a fast boot I always choose full boot.

Aparently full boot will do cmos checking on startup and I see no reason to run fast start.

On my workstation the usual is to start quickly however if you flush the ram, you can force a diagnostic boot wwhich will cause the system to take about 5-10 minutes to check itself before starting so I hardly ever do it unless power has failed.

The only time this happened was when the ups for the system had a faulty power cell.

system kept turning on with fault messages and wouldn't fix itself.

Eventually the cell got replaced though it wasn't supposed to need a replacement for at least half a year but it decided to go out early or at least its computer chip did and once the controler was bad the ups wouldn't run right with it.

On 4/02/2021 3:43 am, Brian Vogel wrote:

Gene, I'm in agreement with your overall point, but Fast Startup is also known as hybrid shutdown, and does rely on the hybrid features being enabled (as they're used for both Fast Startup (hybrid shutdown) and hybrid sleep.

The above being said, I always disable Fast Startup.  It's impact on start times, in particular on systems that have SSDs as their Windows system drive, is virtually zero, and it's not made any earthshattering difference on machines using HDDs, in my opinion.

But one thing it almost invariably causes, at one point or another, is some really bizarre behaviors when the hiberfile.sys file it writes out to save the Windows OS state becomes corrupted, and it virtually always will for those who never do a restart and shut down their machines repeatedly.  I have had two occasions (one under Windows 8) where I could not figure out what was going on by any typical means, and after hours of digging.  That's when Fast Startup was new and I did not know or understand that it wrote out the Windows system state at shutdown.  Either disabling Fast Startup (which is what I did) or doing an actual Restart forces this writing out of the current Windows OS state (and any previous corruption in it) from occurring, and Windows will reload afresh from disk.

I'm willing to accept the very slight additional time a reload of Windows afresh from disc requires at boot time rather than dealing with the weird stuff I've had to deal with on occasion.  I'm not even trying to say that weird stuff is frequent, but when it happens, it is really, really weird.   And I'd rather make that particular situation impossible.

And, to be clear, the above has to do with hybrid shutdown/Fast Startup, not hybrid sleep, which is a different kettle of fish.  But the "hybrid capability" is related to the support of both.

The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.’

       ~ Isaac Asimov