Re: windows 10 21h2 deployment

On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 02:51 AM, Shaun Everiss wrote:

Brian I suspect because there have been times where microsoft just chucked out there.

Obviously after the 18.09 update they really got shot in the foot over that one.

-
There has never been a feature update, not even during the fully automatic update acceptance era, that was literally "just chucked out there."  The basic cohort by cohort rollout procedure has been in place since day one.  What did change, and it was significant, was the removal of the fully automatic update acceptance.  Feature Updates now apply only under one of two circumstances:

1.  The user of the computer activates the Download and install link in the Windows Update pane to accept it.

2.  The computer comes within 60 days of the end of life of whatever version happens to be running on it.  Under that circumstance alone Windows Update will seek out and automatically install whatever the current version happens to be so that the machine continues using a version that's under support.  I actually only know of one person where this has happened, and he "rigged" the situation by not touching an old computer he really didn't use just to see exactly what would happen if he ran out the clock on the version of Windows 10 that was running.

No one's saying, least of all me, that Microsoft has not had some catastrophic mistakes, but those are not relevant to knowing how the basic feature update rollout process works, and has worked for years.  At this point in time, there are very few people who have not been using Windows 10 for a couple of years now, at a minimum.  I get why very late adopters would not understand the process, but the questions of the form, "How is this going to work?," with regard to feature updates often come from the same people each and every feature update cycle.  How it works hasn't changed.  And what's worse is that the question could be answered with an archive search or a web search.  The basic process has been discussed to death.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.

         ~ Harlan Ellison