a serious case of inaccessibility in the cryptocurrency industry

Tyler Zahnke <programmer651@...>

Hello. Why do you think so many of the world's desktop cryptocurrency
wallets are inaccessible? The commonly available cryptocurrency
wallets, such as the Bitcoin Core wallet you can download from
bitcoincore.org, use this QT interface that doesn't let you Ctrl-Tab
around it; luckily to check your balance you can do a big read-all key
like NVDA+B, but as far as tabbing to the send or receive function,
it's impossible; luckily the help menu in many of these wallets has a
debug feature where you can type in commands to get your address, get
your balance, send coins, but as far as the actual graphical
interface, you can tab around the area you're currently on, but you
can't Ctrl+Tab to a different part of the window, though an NVDA+B
command clearly shows the window has multiple tabs. Why has this been
a problem for so long? In fact, I think every blind person and crypto
technology programmer should take a few hints from Palai, located at
palai.org. Yes, I know it's the website I complained about as far as
the "remember me" checkbox, but that's just one little thing; most of
the other checkboxes work, and sending, receiving and becoming part of
the coin generating process are all accessible, therefore giving Palai
a 95% accessibility rating on my scale (was 100% when that checkbox
actually worked as intended) but I think all accessibility advocates
who care about cryptocurrency should sign up for Palai (request
referral code from me if you want), but that crypto website got a 95%,
which is good compared to the 85% that most exchange websites have
(it's worse since you have to often take a live picture of your ID
with your phone; on sites where you can upload the picture as a
GIF/JPEG, those are 90% accessible), but these external storage
software wallets, at least on Windows, get more like a 30% rating; I
used to give them a 0 or 1% accessibility rating, but at least they
have that little command line debug where you can use the functions of
the wallet with commands instead of the graphical interface, so at
least I had mild success, but still, with the graphical interface not
being very navigable, that dragged the rating down so low. Now I bet
even the developers of Palai don't have experience with the blind, but
their site is so good that, at times, you think they do; only some of
the more recent changes like the remember me checkbox make you
question the accessibility, but besides that everything on palai.org
is unbelievably accessible. And as far as I know, there hasn't been a
special crypto app just for blind people, and I've actually had people
at conventions say "whatever" to me; remember, these are accessibility
advocates I was talking to, but because I was talking about crypto,
they said crypto was too weird/strange/foreign to them so they said
they don't care about accessibility issues in that weird industry.
People talk about it more and more all the time, why are accessibility
advocates ignoring us? Because they think it's an insignificant
technology radar blip? It's big news these days, I'm tellin' ya. I
know this coin isn't on the market yet, but due to both its blind
accessibility and the fact that it's designed for global economic
accessibility, even in countries with a large unbanked population, I
hope you sign up for palai.org and claim your free dividend; I've
already seen classifieds sites and music sites and even German job
searches taking this particular currency as payment, so all you
accessibility advocates who care about digital assets, please check
this out. But Palai isn't the main focus of this email, it's just an
accessible way to get a nice free piece of a digital asset, and a site
where 95% of features are accessible with screen readers. The focus of
the email is, why does it feel like there's no website or desktop
application that's truly accessible for regular cryptocurrencies such
as Bitcoin? The closest we have is the Bitcoin savings account and
betting game freebitco.in, but as far as sites for buying coins, due
to the government ID scanning and such, doesn't this lower the
accessibility a bit? Once you get the Bitcoins, I'm guessing
freebitco.in is your most accessible storage place, but still, it's a
web wallet; those who want to store privately have to use those
30%-accessible QT GUI wallets. The world's biggest exchange, Coinbase,
would get the closest to an 85% accessibility rating I've ever given,
but again, that's still a public site; freebitco.in gets a 99% rating
but it's not an exchange site, so perhaps buying on Coinbase and
transfering to Freebitco would be the best way for a blind person to
handle their bitcoins, but still due to exchange laws, that showing of
ID on Coinbase can be tough. Luckily I keep around a picture of my ID;
that got me into a few sites, it's a picture of the front of my ID,
but Coinbase is stricter, they need both front and back; not even sure
how that works, if you would need to upload two separate images or
what.