Re: How to understand MS Word deletions and insertions

Quentin Christensen

Do you want to see the edits?

If not, you can show only the final version:
Press alt+r to open the review ribbon
Press z then t to choose "Tracking"
Press t then m to choose show markup
Press i to turn off showing insertions and deletions.

On Thu, Mar 10, 2022 at 11:36 AM Luke Davis <luke@...> wrote:
Hello

I am the first to admit that I am no advanced MS Word user. Running Word 2019,
Win 10 20H2, latest NVDA alpha (and earlier versions).

I am reviewing a protected document.
With UIA on, it contains the following line:

"
To that end, our client is proposes a settlement based on the following terms:
"

There is an obvious grammar error there. When I turn off UIA, I see that line
as:

"
To that end, our client is   deleted  proposes   inserted  not deleted  a   not inserted  settlement based on the following terms:
"

My question is: how am I to understand the final result of that line? It seems
as if it would be:

"
To that end, our client is a settlement based on the following terms:
"

Which makes even less sense than the original grammar error.

And then, reading character by character, yields a completely different
interpretation:

"
(First part the same)
space
deleted
inserted  not deleted
space
not inserted
space
(rest the same)
"

Which makes me think that now the line should be expected to look like:

"
To that end, our client is roposes a settlement based on the following terms:
"

(Where the final result has the "p" missing from "proposes", and includes the
word "a".)

But which does it actually look like?
Obviously this is a legal document, and before I complain about parts of it, I
should avoid looking like an idiot by complaining about what the final result is
meant to be, not partial edits that have already been inserted/deleted.

As a side note, thank God I turned off UIA, or I would have no idea that this
thing was covered with edits in the first place.

Luke

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager