You can get both the current stable version of NVDA, and NVDA 2017.3 for XP (or Windows 7 without SP1) from the download page: https://www.nvaccess.org/download/

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 8:27 AM JM Casey <jmcasey@...> wrote:
NVDA 20.3 should work fine and if you wanted Jaws you could download an older version (I think anything pre 2022 would work). As said before there's something else going wrong here. What errors do you get when trying to install NVDA?
What sort of continuous sound? From reading your description I haven't the faintest clue what it sounds like. Still definitely doesn't sound normal though. I once had the soundcard on a pC start emitting a continuous high pitched "scream" until a reboot and it was definitely something very wonky with a file I was trying to play. PC speakers can emit continuous sound on bootup if something goes wrong with the internal diagnostic that is performed before the operating system loads. It usually sounds like a sequence of repeated beeps. Maybe you can look up the specific model number of the computer and see what the beep codes are, if it has any. My own system currently does not even have an internal speaker so I guess I'm pretty much out of luck if my system ever fails to start.

-----Original Message-----
From: chat@nvda.groups.io <chat@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ibrahim Ajayi
Sent: March 23, 2022 09:46 AM
To: chat@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [chat] ProblemsWith Installing Screen readers on an old windows computer

Hello everyone:
I am actually trying to set up an old windows7 computer. I want to use it to train a blind chap. But I'm having problems installing the screen readers.

I attempted to install NVDA2020.3 but I am told that it is for newer versions of windows. So, which version can I now install?
At thes ame time, when I attempted to install JAWS, there was no instruction prompting me to run the program.
I attemptd to install FX14.800, but that won't install too.
Then, when I activate network on the desktop, aI start hearing a sound continuously, thsond is unending.
Please does anyone undrstand all these issues I'm having?
What can I do to resolve all of it.
Hope my problems are well understood.
Hope tot get some help.
Regards.