Re: Hamburger Menus and Such

Quentin Christensen

I looked at Grammarly awhile ago and it is still inaccessible.  Basically what it does is it analysis the text you type anywhere, and it draws an underline to indicate spelling  or grammar errors etc - but not in any way which can be detected by a screen reader.  There is a standalone editor, but last I looked it wasn't accessible at all.

ProWritingAid is more accessible.  They used to have a screen reader friendly editor separate from the main one, but they seem to have ditched that and now made the main one more accessible - though not quite as easy to get around as it could be.

The hamburger menu is accessible, from memory it just identifies itself as "menu".  ProWritingAid offers very advanced and complex editing advise, so it depends on exactly what your needs are as to whether it is suitable.  It offers analysis on repeated phrases, structure, length, readability, cliches, alliteration and much more.

Another one I've tried is Hemingway editor, and while I love the interface visually, and that it highlights things like complex sentences, adverbs and words which could be simpler, and also gives a readability score / grade..... Most of its highlighting is also inaccessible.  You can set NVDA to report colours and that works when reading text in it, but it would be great if it was a little friendlier.  It also does NOT offer spell check, so you'll want to run your text through a spell checker elsewhere if you do use this tool.  Hemingway comes as a web app: https://hemingwayapp.com/  Or a desktop app for $20: https://hemingwayapp.com/desktop.html

The spelling and grammar check in Word is probably the easiest to use, and has definitely improved over time, although it doesn't offer as much functionality for detailed grammatical analysis as the other tools around.

On Wed, Jun 8, 2022 at 11:47 AM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
If Grammarly is a different service, you can't assume anything applies to the service you are asking about.

On the web page, when you start moving down from the top of the page, do you see anything referring to a menu such as navigation button or settings button?

I don't know how the service works but whether the actual information the service shows when it finds errors is accessible isn't related to whether the settings or navigation menu is accessible.  They are completely different issues.  The settings or navigation button is web site design in terms of general structures on a web site.  The actual grammar checking interface is the interface the service is using and whether it is accessible is unrelated to the hamburger icon.

I seldom use Word and I just about never use the grammar checker so I'll let others answer the question.  I'm discussing something of more general application, distinguishing between general web site design and a specific interface or perhaps an embedded application used on a web site and also that you can't generalize from one service to another in terms of accessibility.

What I'm saying about a navigation or settings button may help yo on other web sites since these sorts of buttons are common on web sites where you work with settings and where navigation links are hidden by a menu that expands when you press enter on the button.

Gene

On 6/7/2022 8:15 PM, David Russell wrote:
Hello NVDA Chat,

This is a bit of an expansion on the thread I started concerning using
a screen reader with an editing tool called ProWritingAid.
The hamburger menu and being able to locate it, is the issue. Chances
are, it is inaccessible due to design from what I read.

I did a Google search on Grammarly Accessibility with NVDA, and here
is the answer from an old group post which was the first Google
result:

It is completely inaccessible with any screen reader. Your best option
would be to change the grammar checker in MS Word to also check for
styles, not just grammar.

If I rely on MS Word then, will I only hear a buzz sound when
something is found to be amiss?

Can MS Word provide detailed info about sticky sentences, redundant
words, mispelling, reading grade level etc?

I am trying to keep costs to a limit in hiring a freelance editor by
doing as much self-editing as feasible.
Thanks once again.

--
Quentin Christensen