Date   

Re: need help finding the comments section of a youtube video using NVDA

Gene

Increasingly pages change as you move through them.  On Youtube pages, as with other pages I've seen, you don't have to use the pass through command.  The page detects movement when you use browse mode.  If you go to the bottom of the page while in browse mode, then back to the top and move by heading with h, you will get to the comments by pressing h on the page I experimented with.  The new York Times page changes as you move on the home page, DropBox changes as you move in your account main page.  On all these sites, changes occur in browse mode.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, July 08, 2019 10:29 AM
Subject: Re: [chat] need help finding the comments section of a youtube video using NVDA

Would someone mind doing me a favor here when they're next on a YouTube Page.   After you have focus off of the video, because if you don't the key sequences don't work, try doing an NVDA Key + F2, Followed by the End Key, then scroll back up the page to see if the comments have appeared.   I am trying NVDA Key + F2, the pass through sequence, followed by end, then the same pass through followed by Home.  This shoots the page to its end then back to the top.  I am wondering whether this forces the comments to load for a screen reader user.   I can't verify that too easily because if I scroll at all much they will load strictly due to that.

I want to see if a "force to end and back to top" keyboard sequence for a page forces the comments to load all the time before you would bring up the elements list.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1903, Build 18362

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did?  Don't do that."

~ Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

Would someone mind doing me a favor here when they're next on a YouTube Page.   After you have focus off of the video, because if you don't the key sequences don't work, try doing an NVDA Key + F2, Followed by the End Key, then scroll back up the page to see if the comments have appeared.   I am trying NVDA Key + F2, the pass through sequence, followed by end, then the same pass through followed by Home.  This shoots the page to its end then back to the top.  I am wondering whether this forces the comments to load for a screen reader user.   I can't verify that too easily because if I scroll at all much they will load strictly due to that.

I want to see if a "force to end and back to top" keyboard sequence for a page forces the comments to load all the time before you would bring up the elements list.

--

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did?  Don't do that."

Brian,
if I open the elements list in NVDA and choose to display Headings only, Comments are showing up after a single down arrow (the heading level has been either 1 or 2, depending on the page).
I actually haven't tried with the elements list yet.
Next time I can't find the comments section I will try it and report back. It can take a few days to happen so I'm saving this email for reference.
Hopefully this will be the perfect solution. I really can't think of anything else to try. Everything seems a hit and miss.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

--
Are you a Thunderbird user? Then join the Thunderbird mailing list to help and be helped with all Thunderbird things - questions, features, add-ons and much more!

molly the blind tech lover

Thanks

From: chat@nvda.groups.io <chat@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sarah k Alawami
Sent: Sunday, July 7, 2019 11:48 PM
To: chat@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [chat] need help finding the comments section of a youtube video using NVDA

That is actually easy, I do that all the time. You just hit f until you get to the edit ox and scrol up to catch up on chats.

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website. This is also our libsyn page as well.
For stuff we sell, mac training materials and  tutorials go here.
and for hosting options go here
to subscribe to the feed click here

Our telegram channel is also a good place for an announce only in regard to podcasts, contests, etc.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 7 Jul 2019, at 20:44, molly the blind tech lover wrote:

Yeah, it’s hard.

Imagine if it were a live stream. I wonder if it would be possible to keep up with the chat lol.

From: chat@nvda.groups.io <chat@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Hope Williamson
Sent: Sunday, July 7, 2019 11:07 PM
Subject: Re: [chat] need help finding the comments section of a youtube videousing NVDA

I can never find the comments in Firefox or Waterfox, I always have to use IE, believe it or not. I rarely do this, unless I absolutely need to find the comments.

Thank you so much

I will try this.

From: chat@nvda.groups.io <chat@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Sunday, July 7, 2019 11:45 PM

Mind you, I've only tried three pages so far, but if I open the elements list in NVDA and choose to display Headings only, Comments are showing up after a single down arrow (the heading level has been either 1 or 2, depending on the page).

After that, using object navigation and hitting + to start reading all works to start reading the comments, though you have to deal with the buttons, too.  If you want to view replies to a given comment you can hit Control when you land on that button, then enter on it expands (or contracts) the comments.

The first thing I land on after the beginning of the comments is my own avatar graphic then in the Add a public comment edit box.

I'm happy to experiment further with additional pages if the URLs are offered and you can tell me exactly what you're not able to find with regard to the comments after you've opened the elements list with NVDA Key + F7, shown headings, and navigated to Comments and started reading with the NumPad +.

These pages are messy, even visually, but the structure seems to be reasonably consistent.  Marcio is correct, though that the comments section itself does not automatically load on any YouTube Page I've played with at initial load.  I always have to scroll down the page past the video and the initial description to get the Comments to actually load, and I can see that process happen.  They are not there initially either visually nor as a heading in the NVDA elements list with only headings shown.  You do have to do a bit of scrolling down the page.  I have not attempted to go beyond the first set of comments on pages where thousands actually exist.
--

Sarah k Alawami

That is actually easy, I do that all the time. You just hit f until you get to the edit ox and scrol up to catch up on chats.

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website. This is also our libsyn page as well.

Our telegram channel is also a good place for an announce only in regard to podcasts, contests, etc.

On 7 Jul 2019, at 20:44, molly the blind tech lover wrote:

Yeah, it’s hard.

Imagine if it were a live stream. I wonder if it would be possible to keep up with the chat lol.

Subject: Re: [chat] need help finding the comments section of a youtube videousing NVDA

I can never find the comments in Firefox or Waterfox, I always have to use IE, believe it or not. I rarely do this, unless I absolutely need to find the comments.

Mind you, I've only tried three pages so far, but if I open the elements list in NVDA and choose to display Headings only, Comments are showing up after a single down arrow (the heading level has been either 1 or 2, depending on the page).

After that, using object navigation and hitting + to start reading all works to start reading the comments, though you have to deal with the buttons, too.  If you want to view replies to a given comment you can hit Control when you land on that button, then enter on it expands (or contracts) the comments.

The first thing I land on after the beginning of the comments is my own avatar graphic then in the Add a public comment edit box.

I'm happy to experiment further with additional pages if the URLs are offered and you can tell me exactly what you're not able to find with regard to the comments after you've opened the elements list with NVDA Key + F7, shown headings, and navigated to Comments and started reading with the NumPad +.

These pages are messy, even visually, but the structure seems to be reasonably consistent.  Marcio is correct, though that the comments section itself does not automatically load on any YouTube Page I've played with at initial load.  I always have to scroll down the page past the video and the initial description to get the Comments to actually load, and I can see that process happen.  They are not there initially either visually nor as a heading in the NVDA elements list with only headings shown.  You do have to do a bit of scrolling down the page.  I have not attempted to go beyond the first set of comments on pages where thousands actually exist.
--

Yeah, it’s hard.

blindvms ep1 is out

Hi.

Ok the new cast is out, the music in the recording was a bit loud for this ep so maybe I will have to do better next time.

Sadly, while there is a podbean page for the cast I will not be using it because its only got 5 hours on it then I have to pay a fee.

We will use anchor only, and I will update the blog shortly.

I am in descussions with another caster, yet to be deturmoned.

So far I have setup the infrastructure on anchor, and wordpress, brought the vmware workstation and set it up, and got some free podcast music for use later on.

Sadly podbean will not be used, I also have to find out after the fact how to download audio.

Right now if you want audio files directly of something email me.

Also you can leave a voice message on anchor and this will be included.

If the link decides to 404 at you then its reset itself randomly.

Anchor has put the cast on spotify so far, the podbean cast is on itunes but I will not be using it, due to the subscription cost.

I had no idea I would get 5 hours of playtime.

Oh well.

Thats it for now.

Shaun.

Hope Williamson <hopeisjoyful@...>

Sarah k Alawami

Nope. I keep sending them feedback, and I will continue to do so. We'll see what happens.

On 7 Jul 2019, at 18:37, molly the blind tech lover wrote:

Jeez. They still haven’t fixed it after all this time?   

Sent: Sunday, July 7, 2019 9:24 PM

The comms thing on android is broken due to youtube doing something with kids youtube. They broke it for all of us in October or so last year. I've ben sending feedback for all that time and it still is not fixed. It's even broken under ios.

On 7 Jul 2019, at 18:18, molly the blind tech lover wrote:

Hi Marcio

Great to see you here too. Lol I’m definitely having a hard time here with the comments section. I appreciate your help and I will try everything you suggested. Lol even sending a comment on my Android phone is difficult. It used to be that after typing your comment you’d swipe once to the right and the send comment button would be right there. But now you have to scroll with two fingers to find the button. And in my experience if the comment is more than six words long scrolling does no good, because the button only appears if the comment is really short.

Lol.

From: chat@nvda.groups.io <chat@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marcio via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, July 7, 2019 8:56 PM

Hi Molly, it's nice to see you here 😍

Well there's no consistent way of finding the comments section on a YouTube video and I asked about it at least twice :)
Something you can try is to maximize the page then scroll all the way down and up again. Then using the find function you can type comments and sometimes this section will come right up. But this is definitely hit and miss.

Again, good to see you here :)

Cheers,
Marcio

AKA Starboy

--
Are you a Thunderbird user? Then join the Thunderbird mailing list to help and be helped with all Thunderbird things - questions, features, add-ons and much more!

Jeez. They still haven’t fixed it after all this time?   

Sent: Sunday, July 7, 2019 9:24 PM

The comms thing on android is broken due to youtube doing something with kids youtube. They broke it for all of us in October or so last year. I've ben sending feedback for all that time and it still is not fixed. It's even broken under ios.

Hi Marcio

Great to see you here too. Lol I’m definitely having a hard time here with the comments section. I appreciate your help and I will try everything you suggested. Lol even sending a comment on my Android phone is difficult. It used to be that after typing your comment you’d swipe once to the right and the send comment button would be right there. But now you have to scroll with two fingers to find the button. And in my experience if the comment is more than six words long scrolling does no good, because the button only appears if the comment is really short.

Lol.

From: chat@nvda.groups.io <chat@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marcio via Groups.Io

Well there's no consistent way of finding the comments section on a YouTube video and I asked about it at least twice :)
Something you can try is to maximize the page then scroll all the way down and up again. Then using the find function you can type comments and sometimes this section will come right up. But this is definitely hit and miss.

Cheers,
Marcio

AKA Starboy

--

Sarah k Alawami

Hi Marcio

Lol.

Cheers,
Marcio

AKA Starboy

--

Hi Marcio

Lol.

Cheers,
Marcio

AKA Starboy

--

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

--

Thanks

Sent: Sunday, July 7, 2019 8:51 PM

It scrolls. If you go to the bottom of the page, and then search for comment, you should be able to findit then. youtube is a mess anyway, good luck.

On 7 Jul 2019, at 17:43, molly the blind tech lover wrote:

Hey everyone, Molly here.

Hope you all are doing well.

Can anyone tell me how to find the comments section of a youtube video with NVDA? I’ve tried navigating with NVDA, and I fould the video description etc. But I can’t find the comments section lol.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks.

Molly

Sarah k Alawami

It scrolls. If you go to the bottom of the page, and then search for comment, you should be able to findit then. youtube is a mess anyway, good luck.

On 7 Jul 2019, at 17:43, molly the blind tech lover wrote:

Can anyone tell me how to find the comments section of a youtube video with NVDA? I’ve tried navigating with NVDA, and I fould the video description etc. But I can’t find the comments section lol.

Thanks.

Molly

need help finding the comments section of a youtube video using NVDA

Thanks.

Molly

Re: Jaws

Hmmm programs crash because well bugs in them, maybe something else like a driver crashes.

Maybe, its a virus, maybe it can be a lot of things.

Even nvda does crash.

Its sort of an open ended question.

On 8/07/2019 6:24 AM, farhan israk wrote:

Why does jaws crash?

Jaws

farhan israk

Why does jaws crash?

5201 - 5220 of 6314