Date   

Atom

farhan israk

How to open atom text editor? I don't get any icon in neither desktop nor start menu.

Re: Dell Inspiron 7370

Governor,

A couple of questions:

1)  Do you use your laptop as an "on the go" machine where you need to be able to grab it and leave, or primarily like it's a desktop?

2)  What is the make and model of the modem-router in use?

3)  Are there any plans to upgrade the modem-router in the foreseeable future?

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1903, Build 18362

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did?  Don't do that."

~ Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

I have people using the tp link archer series of cards and they seem to work well.

On 4/09/2019 10:45 am, Governor staten wrote:

What would be a decent card to go for, or a decent dongle for wireless connectivity?

On 9/3/2019 2:04 PM, Nimer Jaber wrote:
True, although the Inspirons I've seen have the service bay doors. Which is good. This may not be true for all of them, so up to you I suppose. Ultimately though, I would not stop updating firmware.

Thanks.

On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 10:50 AM Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 01:26 PM, Nimer Jaber wrote:
I replaced the WiFi card because Dell throws in some pretty cheapo cards into their inspirons unfortunately.
Definitely an option if it's easy to get to.  I've also had great luck with nano sized USB WiFi adapters, which have often been as reliable or more so than what came with the machine and are what I often use when the amount of time (and money) it would cost a client for me to tear down a laptop either really isn't worth it or they'd just prefer not to spend it.

The days of laptops with service bay doors are now pretty much long gone except for a very limited number of business class machines.

--

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did?  Don't do that."

What would be a decent card to go for, or a decent dongle for wireless connectivity?

On 9/3/2019 2:04 PM, Nimer Jaber wrote:
True, although the Inspirons I've seen have the service bay doors. Which is good. This may not be true for all of them, so up to you I suppose. Ultimately though, I would not stop updating firmware.

Thanks.

I replaced the WiFi card because Dell throws in some pretty cheapo cards into their inspirons unfortunately.
Definitely an option if it's easy to get to.  I've also had great luck with nano sized USB WiFi adapters, which have often been as reliable or more so than what came with the machine and are what I often use when the amount of time (and money) it would cost a client for me to tear down a laptop either really isn't worth it or they'd just prefer not to spend it.

The days of laptops with service bay doors are now pretty much long gone except for a very limited number of business class machines.

--

Nimer Jaber

Thanks.

--

--

Nimer Jaber

Hello,

I would not downgrade. I would continue to update. But I have had issues with Inspiron dells with unreliable WiFi. With the last one I bought, I replaced the WiFi card because Dell throws in some pretty cheapo cards into their inspirons unfortunately.

Thanks.

On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 12:08 AM Governor staten <govsta@...> wrote:

Does anyone have this computer? If so, do you have any issues with the wireless networking dropping at odd times?

My roommate has the same computer. He doesn't have same issues. I'm running drivers from Intel update. My theory is that if I downgrade the wireless drivers, I could possibly lessen the incidences of dropped connections. Any thoughts appreciated.

There are often times where the same hardware will behave differently, and particularly built-in WiFi, due to things as simple as location.

I would not stop using the Intel Driver & Support Assistant to keep your drivers up to date.  Intel has been churning out updated drivers specifically for Windows 10 and there is a good reason for it.

--

Dell Inspiron 7370

Does anyone have this computer? If so, do you have any issues with the wireless networking dropping at odd times?

My roommate has the same computer. He doesn't have same issues. I'm running drivers from Intel update. My theory is that if I downgrade the wireless drivers, I could possibly lessen the incidences of dropped connections. Any thoughts appreciated.

Groups.io Individual Message Test - Feel free to just delete

Hello All,

I apologize for this, but since I am generally a "no email" subscriber I occasionally have to switch to "individual messages" and force a message to be sent to see what, if anything, has been changed in the Groups.io message footer.  This is one of those messages.

--

Re: MS Edge Dev/Beta

None that I am aware of.   I doubt any will be created, either, until the stable version is released as part of Windows 10.

--

MS Edge Dev/Beta

Carlos

Hello All:

Is anyone aware of a tutorial for using the new MS Edge Dev/Beta browsers?

I know that it works similar to Chrome.  But, it is different in some ways and that's why I wondering if there was a specific tutorial for the new Edge?

Thank You! For taking the time to answer my query!

Re: On the need, or lack thereof, for another group/list dedicated to NVDA

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 05:53 PM, Nimer Jaber wrote:
however Gene did create a new one
So I had been led to believe, but if he did I cannot find it in a groups search on Groups.io.   It is possible that it was created as a private group with private archives, in which case membership is by invitation only, as that's how private groups work (even if their archives happen to be public, which is rare for a private group).

--

Re: On the need, or lack thereof, for another group/list dedicated to NVDA

Nimer Jaber

I don't understand the purpose of yet another list either, however Gene did create a new one, and members who wish to subscribe are more than welcome to do so. We do welcome anyone and everyone to the main NVDA list, and will continue to. If anyone has an issue with anything that takes place on the main list, please reach out to me via nvda+owner@groups.io or at my personal email, nimerjaber1@.... We are responsive to any feedback provided, and are not against making changes if needed, although there would likely have to be numerous complaints about an issue before I act. I cannot run a list with over a thousand members based on the feedback of one or two individuals. I believe the NVDA list has gotten more on topic, discussions are much more relevant, new and old users continue to ask questions, subscription rates have not dramatically declined, and all that is different is that we don't have the long off-topic rambles. It is true that users are urged to look up information, however information is not held back from new users when they ask.

Just wanted to throw my thoughts in on this for whatever they're worth.

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 2:42 PM Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

Ignoring NVDA groups for non-English as a first language individuals, and those groups set up specifically to address non-end-user aspects of NVDA, there are already two on Groups.io,  in addition to the NVDA Group.  The following was taken from doing a "Find or Create a Group" search on the term NVDA and looking through the results:

nvdainfo / nvdainfo

This is a group for info and discussion about nvda. This is not connected with NVAccess.
Created: 06/19/16

17 Members, 2 Topics, Public Archives, Last Post: 06/20/16

nvdadiscussion / nvdadiscussion

My name’s Bob Edenhofer, and I'm the owner of this new NVDA list! Michael Capelle, is my co-owner of these lists.
Created: 09/23/17

10 Members, 353 Topics, Private Archives, Restricted, Last Post: Aug 14

The NVDA Group has 1202 members, and almost 9000 topics.  Those numbers speak for themselves as far as the group serving anyone who wishes to join, and having done so for a very long time.  The numbers for the spin off groups speak for themselves, too.

Those who wish to set up competing groups are entirely free to do so, and I wish them well.  Those groups are very likely to have membership numbers like the two groups above, as there’s no real reason for them even existing when you have a group that welcomes all with a large membership, a years-long track record, and that has minimal rules that are easy to understand and follow.

Spinning off more groups when there already exists a well-known venue that’s already “topic central” for any given topic does a disservice to everyone, as the value “one-stop shopping” cannot be overstated when dealing with niche technology.  All screen readers are their own niches, and the more that end-user support groups for same remain singular for each, the easier it is to find the answers you need when you need them with relative ease.

--

--
Best,

Amaré

The message above is intended for the recipient to whom it was
addressed. If you believe that you are not the intended recipient,
please notify me via reply email and destroy all copies of this
correspondence. Action taken as a result of this email or its contents
by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) may result in civil or
criminal charges. I have checked this email and all corresponding
attachments for security threats. However, security of your machine is
up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

To find out about a free and versatile screen reader for windows XP
and above, please click here:
http://www.nvda-project.org

You can follow @nimerjaber on Twitter for the latest technology news.

To contact me, you can reply to this email or you may call me at (970) (393-4481) and I will do my best to respond to you promptly. Thank
you, and have a great day!

On the need, or lack thereof, for another group/list dedicated to NVDA

Ignoring NVDA groups for non-English as a first language individuals, and those groups set up specifically to address non-end-user aspects of NVDA, there are already two on Groups.io,  in addition to the NVDA Group.  The following was taken from doing a "Find or Create a Group" search on the term NVDA and looking through the results:

nvdainfo / nvdainfo

This is a group for info and discussion about nvda. This is not connected with NVAccess.
Created: 06/19/16

17 Members, 2 Topics, Public Archives, Last Post: 06/20/16

nvdadiscussion / nvdadiscussion

My name’s Bob Edenhofer, and I'm the owner of this new NVDA list! Michael Capelle, is my co-owner of these lists.
Created: 09/23/17

10 Members, 353 Topics, Private Archives, Restricted, Last Post: Aug 14

The NVDA Group has 1202 members, and almost 9000 topics.  Those numbers speak for themselves as far as the group serving anyone who wishes to join, and having done so for a very long time.  The numbers for the spin off groups speak for themselves, too.

Those who wish to set up competing groups are entirely free to do so, and I wish them well.  Those groups are very likely to have membership numbers like the two groups above, as there’s no real reason for them even existing when you have a group that welcomes all with a large membership, a years-long track record, and that has minimal rules that are easy to understand and follow.

Spinning off more groups when there already exists a well-known venue that’s already “topic central” for any given topic does a disservice to everyone, as the value “one-stop shopping” cannot be overstated when dealing with niche technology.  All screen readers are their own niches, and the more that end-user support groups for same remain singular for each, the easier it is to find the answers you need when you need them with relative ease.

--

Re: olympus ls10

I think I mentioned the Olympus lsp4, that is almost completely accessible. The model names are inconcistant.

On 8/26/2019 4:23 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 04:13 PM, Blaster wrote:
turn on the voice guide for your ls10.
If such exists for the LS10, it is not documented in the instruction manual I gave the link for earlier.  Since it isn't, its existence on this model is highly unlikely.

--

Blaster

Thanks for that info Brian, It's really hit or miss with Olympus.

On 8/26/19, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

If such exists for the LS10, it is not documented in the instruction manual
I gave the link for earlier. Since it isn't, its existence on this model is
highly unlikely.

--

Brian *-* Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1903, Build 18362

*A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing
you just did? Don't do that."*

If such exists for the LS10, it is not documented in the instruction manual I gave the link for earlier.  Since it isn't, its existence on this model is highly unlikely.

--

Blaster

Governor, Try doing the following steps to turn on the voice guide
for your ls10.

To start, hold the recorder in your hand with the buttons facing you
and the microphones positioned at the top,

1. Turn over the recorder and a little more than half way down in the
center you'll feel a small button, press it and slide the battery
compartment cover down and then off of the recorder.

2. Remove both double A batteries, noting that both positive ends face
down. Most devices with double A batteries have one facing one way and
the other facing the opposite way, but not with this recorder.

3. Wait a few seconds and replace the batteries and slide the cover back on.

4. Flip the recorder back over so that the buttons are facing you again.

5. If the recorder is in your left hand, place your left thumb on the
left side of the recorder. Slide your thumb up from the bottom of the
recorder until you come to a little slider switch, which is about an
eighth of an inch wide and about a half of an inch long. This is the
power switch and it's in a fixed position and to use it you press in
and slide down until it won't go any further and just release your
thumb and it will snap back into it's original position. This type of
switch is becoming more common, I really don't understand the
advantage over a simple on and off switch, but it is what it is.

6. After you hear the startup music, you should hear a voice asking
you to set the time, This isn't accessible so we'll just skip past
this, here's how to do that.

With the recorder facing you again, feel along the front panel, down
around the bottom left hand side of the recorder. Approximately one
and a half inches up and about an inch in from the side. You should
feel a circular button about the size of a dime with a smaller
circular raised button in the center. This is a four position
directional pad, up, down, left and right with the center button being
the enter button.

Press the center button once to skip past the time setup screen.

7. The next voice prompt will ask you if you want the voice guide on
or off. You can press the outer edge of the dime sized circular
button, either at the top or bottom which ever you prefer, it's just a
toggle between on or off. Press it until it says on, then press the
center circular button once to accept the setting and your done.

Also, You didn't ask, but I thought I'd give you a couple of quick
steps to get you started.

1. Along the bottom right hand side, on the front of the recorder,
you'll find a four position switch. It's a dial type switch. If it
were a clock the four positions would be 7, 8, 9 and 10 O'Clock. Start
by placing it into the bottom selection, the 7 O'Clock position, which
is called "quick mode".

2. Directly above that dial switch you'll find a little button, it's
the setup screen button. Press it once to enter into the setup area,
press it again to exit setup when your done.

To navigate the setup screens you'll need to use the same four way
directional pad that you used to skip the clock setup and turn on the
voice menu located at the bottom left hand side of the recorder facing
you on the front of the recorder.

There are four groups of options to the setup screen. Record menu,
Play menu, display and sounds menu and the device settings menu. I
should mention, These groups are setup in a checkerboard pattern. If
you imagine a telephone keypad using the numbers 1, 2, 4 and five for
example, If your on number one and press to the right, you'll hear one
and two repeated over and over again. If you were on number one and
pressed down you'd hear one and four repeated over and over again
because these are wrap around menus.

So pick one of the four main options from the first screen and press
the enter button

Press up or down to hear all of the available menu items for that group.

Press the enter key then use the up or down arrows to hear all of
the available settings for that option.

When your done, Use the left button on the directional pad to back out
of each menu until your back to the main screen, then press the setup
button again to exit.

Finally, To make a recording, locate the three round buttons
positioned horizontaly on the front of the recorder, there just about
in the middle of the recorder.

Press the one on the far right to begin recording, you'll hear a little beep.

Press the button in the middle to stop the recording when your done
again you'll hear a little beep.

Plug the recorder into your PC using the USB cord and navigate to it
as you would with any USB storage device and you'll find your
recordings in the folder titled recorder.
In that folder there are thre folders titled 1, 2 and 3. I have no
idea what there used for and they are empty so I just ignore them.

Your recordings are given timestamps for names and the only files
listed after your recordings in this folder are some system files with
a .DAT extension, so just ignore them as well.

There is a limited amount of disk space on your recorder, so you'll
need to move them off to your PC or some other storage device when you
start getting full. The recorder will just stop recording if there's
no space on the drive.

I don't use the recorder much past what I've described above, but the
instruction manual Brian posted should be very useful, although much
of this recorders functions are not accessible even with there voice
guide.

HTH,
Blaster

On 8/26/19, Governor staten <govsta@...> wrote:
That is what I'm thinking too. I heard of one that is completely
accessible. It is the Olympus LSP4. It will even allow for setting time
and date with speech.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 8/26/2019 12:00 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Are you asking whether the device itself gives voice feedback as you
navigate its menus, etc.?

I agree that it is difficult to know this based upon the LS10 Owner's
Manual
<https://www.olympusamerica.com/files/oima_cckb/LS-10_Instructions_EN.pdf>

alone. The easiest way to determine this definitively would be to
have a sighted assistant play with it in your presence to determine
what feedback is actually provided. My guess is that this one does
not have speech feedback just based upon what is in the manual, but
there is no guarantee that presumption is correct without trying a
quick test to see what it actually does.

--

Brian *-*Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1903, Build 18362

/*A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know
that thing you just did?Don't do that." */

///~ Douglas Adams (1952-2001)/

--
https://twitter.com/yahad_easttn

That is what I'm thinking too. I heard of one that is completely accessible. It is the Olympus LSP4. It will even allow for setting time and date with speech.

On 8/26/2019 12:00 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Are you asking whether the device itself gives voice feedback as you navigate its menus, etc.?

I agree that it is difficult to know this based upon the LS10 Owner's Manual alone.   The easiest way to determine this definitively would be to have a sighted assistant play with it in your presence to determine what feedback is actually provided.  My guess is that this one does not have speech feedback just based upon what is in the manual, but there is no guarantee that presumption is correct without trying a quick test to see what it actually does.

--

5081 - 5100 of 6311