Date   

Re: coronavirus concerns

Join the club, we all went nuts before and some of our politicians were not helpfull either.

But yeah its going nuts.

On 11/03/2020 7:09 am, Luis Carlos Gonzáles Moráles wrote:

Hi Molly,
I'm more scared than you precisely. Recently there's our first case in my country, Panama.
A wooman traveling from spain to here had got the virus and I just really don't know how that reacts.

molly the blind tech lover wrote:

Hey everyone.

Firstly, I hope all of you are ok and are staying safe.

There  is a lot of fear and uncertainty right now regarding the coronavirus  and it’s  scary.  Stores are running out of supplies, New York has declared a state of emergency . . .   And schools are cancelling trips abroad and cancelling trips outside the state. I’m just scared and I really, really hope you guys are all ok.

Well, my feeling is that the panic needs to stop, reasonable precautions (which aren't all that different from other communicable vectors) recommended and put into place, and everyone get on with their lives.

It has become abundantly clear that Covid-19 is already a pandemic, and it's going to run its course no matter what we do.

That doesn't mean "do nothing," either, but thinking you're going to stop this virus to a stop by trying to stop the world, well . . .   Taking steps to protect the most vulnerable, and encouraging people to wash hands and use hand sanitizer, avoid face touching (and hand shaking), and maintaining crowded conditions in tight spaces all make sense.  But even with all these, religiously followed, there will be continued spread based on all available indications.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363

The problem with values voting is that it completely puts to the side or totally obviates past performance, the effectiveness of policies proposed, intelligence and judgment — you know, the qualities that actually matter for someone who wants to lead the free world.

~ Zareh Delanchian

Well join the club.

While us in new zealand have so far been lucky bastards we still have had 5 cases.

Cases in china are dropping while europe is rising especially in italy.

The middle east bits of it have issues.

My aunt is still going to india next week but when she comes back the situation will be well who knows.

My family have banned her from seeing us for 2 weeks as has her work, but who knows.

We were due to go to hawaii next month, but guess we won't be ducking doing that now in all likelyhood we will lose between 2.5k and 5k depending if we defer or cancel.

The eateries in auckland new zealand are getting quiet and the work I had planned for research may not go ahead as the persons that do that are in india right now on family business and if and when they come back it will start however its unknown.

Its likely we will all be doing local trips this year but with so much going away who knows.

While I am not panicking just yet, I am actually trying to buy extras in case.

We are buying a lot of extra supplies for storage just in case things go bad, toilet paper, food, etc.

Civil defence tell us we need at least 2 weeks supplies of essentials right now not just for this but for any desaster.

At least for us we are allowed to continue living.

However I try not to touch handrails, and my face, and wash hands before eating and use sanatiser before eating.

I have to start doing things that I would usually not even think about, similar to breathing there are a lot of things I have to think about.

Insurance is basically a no go and the echonomy is dropping.

With all this and the fuel dramas going on, there are a lot of issues.

For now life continues to continue but what if it does get bad.

We have been constantly told that the world can stop for 5-6 months before we must restart.

Reguardless of this we will eventually run out of things.

Some people in my family do not trust values and stats out of china, then again I don't think people trust values and such as they keep changing.

Compaired to some airieas of the world though we are reasonably safe.

On 11/03/2020 6:55 am, molly the blind tech lover wrote:

Hey everyone.

There  is a lot of fear and uncertainty right now regarding the coronavirus  and it’s  scary.  Stores are running out of supplies, New York has declared a state of emergency . . .   And schools are cancelling trips abroad and cancelling trips outside the state. I’m just scared and I really, really hope you guys are all ok.

Luis Carlos González Moráles

Hi Molly,
I'm more scared than you precisely. Recently there's our first case in my country, Panama.
A wooman traveling from spain to here had got the virus and I just really don't know how that reacts.

molly the blind tech lover wrote:

Hey everyone.

coronavirus concerns

molly the blind tech lover

Hey everyone.

Re: Buying new computer

Anna Givens

Ok thanks! I will do that. 

Anna

On Mar 8, 2020, at 3:26 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

Anna,

I'd suggest you take the NVDA lag issue over to the main group.  I feel certain that someone more versed in "under the hood" issues will want to look at a log before anything else.   I have some suggestions if the issue is not traced to NVDA itself, but that needs to be checked first.

A Ryzen class processor is way, way, way more than adequate for your stated uses and the rest of the specs are good, too.

--

The problem with values voting is that it completely puts to the side or totally obviates past performance, the effectiveness of policies proposed, intelligence and judgment — you know, the qualities that actually matter for someone who wants to lead the free world.

~ Zareh Delanchian

Anna,

I'd suggest you take the NVDA lag issue over to the main group.  I feel certain that someone more versed in "under the hood" issues will want to look at a log before anything else.   I have some suggestions if the issue is not traced to NVDA itself, but that needs to be checked first.

A Ryzen class processor is way, way, way more than adequate for your stated uses and the rest of the specs are good, too.

--

~ Zareh Delanchian

Anna Givens

Oh well O just sent this email and forgot to paste the computer info!! Lol.

Here’s the message again:

Thanka so much everybody!

I am pasting the info of the computer I got. And hoping someone could help me figure out what to do. NVDA is installed and I have had problems. A lot of the time NVDA just doesn’t talk or it responds very very slowly, for example I press tab or down arrow on a website, or on desktop or wherever and after 7-8seconds it speaks next line or item... 
also, when this happens I have only one application running, or it’s on desktop and have nothing open.
Ideas??

Here’s the computer-

Lenovo Ideapad 330s 15.6" Laptop, Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 5 2500U Quad-Core Processor, 8GB Memory, 256GB Storage, Platinum Grey - 81FB00HKUS

Meet the Lenovo IdeaPad 330S. Thinner and lighter with narrow bezels for broader viewing, it boasts state-of-the-art processing and accelerated graphics performance. Featuring an AMD Ryzen 5 2500U Quad-Core processor, Integrated Radeon Vega 8 graphics, 8GB DDR4 2400 MHz RAM (4GB OnBoard + 4GB DIMM) memory, and 256GB PCIe SSD internal storage, this powerful laptop has all the essentials you need to tackle your day. Its 15.6-inch HD IPS LED backlit anti-glare display and Dolby Audio Premium speakers ensure gorgeously sharp images and crystal-clear sound whether you're out at the office or relaxing at home. Plus, with a battery life of up to seven hours, you can take on a whole to-do list before you even need to think about finding the nearest outlet to plug into. Power through any task with ease on the Lenovo IdeaPad 330S.

Lenovo Ideapad 330s 15.6" Laptop, Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 5 2500U Quad-Core Processor, 8GB Memory, 256GB Storage, Platinum Grey - 81FB00HKUS:

• Operating system: Windows 10
  • Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U Quad-Core Processor
  • Display: 15.6" HD IPS LED Backlit Anti-Glare Display
  • Memory: 8GB DDR4 2400 MHz RAM (4GB OnBoard + 4GB DIMM)
  • Internal storage: 256GB PCIe SSD Storage
  • Graphics: Integrated Radeon Vega 8 Graphics
  • Optical Drive: None
  • Battery Life: Up to 7 Hours
  • Audio: 2 x 2W Speakers with Dolby Audio Premium
  • Wireless: 802.11AC Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.1 Combo
  • Webcam: Front-Facing HD Webcam with integrated dual array microphone
  • Product weight: 3.96 lbs
  • Color: Platinum Grey

Warnings
Arrow
Specifications
Arrow
Processor Type
AMD Ryzen 5

Hard Drive Capacity
256 GB

Condition
New

Processor Speed
2 GHz

manufacturer_part_number
81fb00hkus

Wireless Technology
802.11AC Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.1 Combo

RAM Memory
8 GB

Maximum RAM Supported
8 GB

Operating System
Windows 10

Battery Life
7 h

Model
81FB00HKUS

Screen Size
15.6"

Brand
Lenovo

Thank you all so much.

Anna

On Mar 8, 2020, at 2:57 PM, Anna Givens <annajee82@...> wrote:

I am pasting the info of the computer I got. And hoping someone could help me figure out what to do. NVDA is installed and I have had problems. A lot of the time NVDA just doesn’t talk or it responds very very slowly, for example I press tab or down arrow on a website, or on desktop or wherever and after 7-8 seconds it speaks next line or item...
Ideas??

Thank you all so much.

Anna

Anna Givens

I am pasting the info of the computer I got. And hoping someone could help me figure out what to do. NVDA is installed and I have had problems. A lot of the time NVDA just doesn’t talk or it responds very very slowly, for example I press tab or down arrow on a website, or on desktop or wherever and after 7-8 seconds it speaks next line or item...
Ideas??

Thank you all so much.

Anna

On Mar 8, 2020, at 2:34 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 02:21 PM, farhan israk wrote:
You should buy a laptop which has Intell core i 5 latest generation processor, 8gb ram and 1tb ssd.
I really do not know how anyone can make recommendations this specific, particularly without a lot more information, with the exception of the 8GB of RAM, which is a good rule of thumb minimum for Windows 10.

My machine has a 2TB HDD, as it's a couple of years old, and with the years of stuff I have on it, including large image and music libraries, I'm still only using around 750 GB.  There are lots of people who use far, far less space than that.  You decide on drive sizes based on what you are actually using and can reasonably anticipate as needed room to grow.  These days I'd never recommend a HDD unless one has huge storage needs and those are on a laptop.  Otherwise the performance boost from an SSD is easily worth the small and narrowing cost differential, particularly on the lower end of the drive capacity range.

Processing power, also, should be chosen based upon the intended usage for the machine.  Buying processing power you have no need for, and no reasonable anticipating of needing, is a waste of money.

Match the tool to the task, always.

--

~ Zareh Delanchian

On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 02:21 PM, farhan israk wrote:
You should buy a laptop which has Intell core i 5 latest generation processor, 8gb ram and 1tb ssd.
I really do not know how anyone can make recommendations this specific, particularly without a lot more information, with the exception of the 8GB of RAM, which is a good rule of thumb minimum for Windows 10.

My machine has a 2TB HDD, as it's a couple of years old, and with the years of stuff I have on it, including large image and music libraries, I'm still only using around 750 GB.  There are lots of people who use far, far less space than that.  You decide on drive sizes based on what you are actually using and can reasonably anticipate as needed room to grow.  These days I'd never recommend a HDD unless one has huge storage needs and those are on a laptop.  Otherwise the performance boost from an SSD is easily worth the small and narrowing cost differential, particularly on the lower end of the drive capacity range.

Processing power, also, should be chosen based upon the intended usage for the machine.  Buying processing power you have no need for, and no reasonable anticipating of needing, is a waste of money.

Match the tool to the task, always.

--

~ Zareh Delanchian

farhan israk

On Sun, 8 Mar 2020, 4:52 am Gene, <gsasner@...> wrote:
You don't need more than 8gb of RAM.  Your message implies that you may be confusing the size of the hard drive with the amount of RAM.  If it were me, I wouldn't worry about the size of the hard drive.  If you need more storage, you can always buy an external USB hard drive. 

But in terms of memory, RAM, which your computer uses to run applications efficiently, and has no connection with a hard drive, 8GB is the generally recommended amount unless someone runs memory intensive programs or a lot of programs at once, neither of which you do.  the majority of users don't need more.

And as far as keeping costs down, you might consider getting a laptop from Computers for The Blind.  I've seen good reports from people on lists like this.

I don't know what country you live in so you may not be able to.  I think they provide refurbished computers only within The United States.

Gene
----- Original Message -----

Sent: Saturday, March 07, 2020 1:28 PM
Subject: [chat] Buying new computer

I’m wondering if someone can help me decide how much memory and how much storage I need in a new laptop in order to keep costs down but still be able to have a smoothly functioning computer. I only use laptops for basic things like editing documents and surfing the web, etc. And then I also stream Netflix or things like that. I don’t tend to have a ton of apps on my computer. I do need to install and use NVDA or JAWS or fusion.
Given all this. How is the minimum I would need?

Thanks so much.

Anna

Gene

You don't need more than 8gb of RAM.  Your message implies that you may be confusing the size of the hard drive with the amount of RAM.  If it were me, I wouldn't worry about the size of the hard drive.  If you need more storage, you can always buy an external USB hard drive. 

But in terms of memory, RAM, which your computer uses to run applications efficiently, and has no connection with a hard drive, 8GB is the generally recommended amount unless someone runs memory intensive programs or a lot of programs at once, neither of which you do.  the majority of users don't need more.

And as far as keeping costs down, you might consider getting a laptop from Computers for The Blind.  I've seen good reports from people on lists like this.

I don't know what country you live in so you may not be able to.  I think they provide refurbished computers only within The United States.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Saturday, March 07, 2020 1:28 PM

I’m wondering if someone can help me decide how much memory and how much storage I need in a new laptop in order to keep costs down but still be able to have a smoothly functioning computer. I only use laptops for basic things like editing documents and surfing the web, etc. And then I also stream Netflix or things like that. I don’t tend to have a ton of apps on my computer. I do need to install and use NVDA or JAWS or fusion.

Thanks so much.

Anna

I'll also chime in that an SSD (and I'd go for 500 GB, as the price differential between 256 GB and 500 GB has become negligible) and 8 GB of RAM are best practice for maximum performance on a PC these days.  As far as determining what drive capacity you need, base it on what you actually use now, with at least 25% more for growing room, if your current drive is holding pretty much "everything I own" and you're not generating new content in large volume.

Your needs are pretty basic, so you really don't need a high-end CPU/APU that just blazes, as nothing you're saying that you do is particularly processing intensive, and that includes streaming.

If cost is a factor definitely give consideration to manufacturer refurbished units.  Business class units, which are more durable, come off of leases and hit the refurbished market in a fairly constant stream.  You can snag some very good value per dollar, as well as good specs, in that market.

--

~ Zareh Delanchian

molly the blind tech lover

Hi.
Based on personal experience, I'd recommend at least 8 gigabytes of ram and an SSD.

-----Original Message-----
From: chat@nvda.groups.io <chat@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Anna Givens
Sent: Saturday, March 7, 2020 2:29 PM
To: gui-talk@...; Tech4theblind+subscribe@groups.io; NVDA subgroup <chat@nvda.groups.io>; Jaws Users <jaws-users-list@...>

Thanks so much.

Anna

Ryan Mann

I am assuming that you are getting a Windows computer and not a Mac. A couple things I would try for:
Solid state hard drive- This allows programs to load faster than the HDD AKA spinning hard drives.
I would try to get 8 gigabytes of RAM. The requirement for Windows 10 is 4 GB, but screen readers and other assistive technology takes more memory.
I try to get between 200 and 300 GB of storage.

On Mar 7, 2020, at 2:29 PM, Anna Givens <annajee82@...> wrote:

Thanks so much.

Anna

Lino Morales <linomorales001@...>

Hi Anna. For what you want to do I recommend a laptop with a minimum of 8 GB of memory and 128 GB of harddrive space.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Saturday, March 7, 2020 2:29 PM
To: gui-talk@...; Tech4theblind+subscribe@groups.io; NVDA subgroup; Jaws Users

Thanks so much.

Anna

Buying new computer

Anna Givens

Thanks so much.

Anna

Re: GodTouches FreeList Group

I shall quote the original message from John J. Boyer here, as it's permissible on the Chat Subgroup.  Note the instruction about putting the word subscribe in both the subject and message body.  This is odd to require, so I presume it must be required:
-------------------------------
Hello,

Some of you seem to be interested in technology and religion. i have a mailing list devoted to just such topics. To join it:

Send a message to
godtouches-request@...

In the subject line and the body of the message put the word subscribe.

You will be asked to agree to terms of service and privacy. Then you will receive a welcoming message.

If you have difficulty or questions please contact me privately. My email address is in the from field of this message.

Thanks,
John
Email: john.boyer@...
--

~ Zareh Delanchian

Re: GodTouches FreeList Group

Rosemarie Chavarria

godtouches-request@.... Type "subscribe" without the quotes in the subject line.

On 3/6/2020 9:20 AM, Richard Wells wrote:
Greetings: Could whoever sent the message on this FreeList Email
subscription send information on how to get on that group again? I tried
it, but obviously I didn't follow directions correctly and the
auto-responder didn't know what to do with my request.

GodTouches FreeList Group

Richard Wells

Greetings: Could whoever sent the message on this FreeList Email
subscription send information on how to get on that group again? I tried
it, but obviously I didn't follow directions correctly and the
auto-responder didn't know what to do with my request.

4701 - 4720 of 6321