Date   

Re: Windows Magnifier hotkeys

On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 06:28 PM, Supanut Leepaisomboon wrote:
thanks for pointing me to the Microsoft page for the Windows Magnifier hotkeys
Microsoft publishes online lists of keyboard shortcuts for every product it produces, whether that's an Office program, Windows feature, or something else.

You will always find these in the first five results of a web search for "Microsoft {program name} keyboard shortcuts."   Substitute "Office," "Excel," "Word," "Magnifier," "Windows 10," and the list goes on and on.  Virtually always either the first or second web search result will be Microsoft's own webpage of said keyboard shortcuts, and it's generally the first one.

Most other software makers do the same.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363

Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.

~ H.L. Mencken, AKA The Sage of Baltimore

Hey, thanks for pointing me to the Microsoft page for the Windows Magnifier hotkeys, those are very useful indeed.

Re: NVDA and Pontes Media Downloader

Gene

There is a program called Virtual Recorder. The one I use is a portable version, modified by the late and missed Carlos. I shall provide a link to it. It is a zip file. Unzip it and run the Virtual Recorder.exe file.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q7cezs3yi8w1jg4/Virtual_Recorder_Portable.zip?dl=1
NVDA has a problem with the program as it does with some others which should be addressed. It announces everything in the interface when it runs and you can't stop it. Let it announce, then tab around and change settings as you wish. If you have questions ask.

The one thing I'll discuss here is the source selection.

I believe earlier versions of the program didn't record using the both selection properly in Windows 10. If you have problems with this version, I'll see if I have a later one. I'm not sure if the Carlos modified program is still generally available.

There are three choices. Soundcard records from your soundcard only. What you hear records everything you hear and uses Loop Back to make the recording. This is very valuable because a lot of sound cards don't support what you hear and this will let you record in this way. Use that setting to record a Youtube video or anything else you want to record that you hear through your sound card. Start Virtual Recorder, then start the Youtube video playing, for example. You can't edit with this program so you will have to edit the file with another program.

The third source setting is both. Let's say you want to record something playing that requires What you hear, such as a Youtube vvideo or a recording of your screen-reader talking without degrading the sound by using a microphone. Suppose you want to make comments while something is playing. If you use the both setting, you will be recording using both What You Hear and your soundcard. If your soundcard is using microphone as the source, you can record using your microphone at the same time as you are using What You Hear to record something else. If your sound card supports What You Hear, you can record the microphone and the Youtube video or whatever else you are playihng simultaneously with any recording program. If not, this will let you record both at once as though you were using what you hear.
Gene

A web search on "Windows Magnifier Shortcut Keys" turns up literally hundreds of answers to this, the first of which is Microsoft's own shortcuts page for Windows Accessibility:  Windows keyboard shortcuts for accessibility

followed by, 

Windows 10 Magnifier Keyboard Shortcuts (Hotkeys)

, from Winaero, followed by hundreds more.

This is a question that can be answered by web search, and should have been.

--

Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.

Windows Magnifier hotkeys

Hi all,
Are there any hotkeys for Windows Magnifier to, say, zoom in/out?
Many thanks.

NVDA and Pontes Media Downloader

Stan Bobbitt

Hello, I am interested in hearing what Gene has to say about recording a video from the Internet while it’s playing.

Much thanks,

StanB

“The man who asks a question may be a fool for a minute but the man who does not ask is a fool for life.”

--Dennis Vanderkerken--

Re: Training programme

farhan israk

Thank you. Sorry for not mentioning properly. I want to participate in free training.

On Thu, 30 Apr 2020, 1:01 am Brian Vogel, <britechguy@...> wrote:
Farhan,

There are many, many.  Are you talking about working with MS-Office with NVDA specifically?    The NVAccess shopping page has an eBook available for each of the Office programs you mention.
--

Re: Training programme

Farhan,

There are many, many.  Are you talking about working with MS-Office with NVDA specifically?    The NVAccess shopping page has an eBook available for each of the Office programs you mention.
--

Training programme

farhan israk

Is there any training programme available on microsoft word and excel?

Re: How to read unfamiliar sites

blago blago <blago37@...>

Andre and Gene, thank you very much for tips. I will try your suggestions.

Brian, yes, i can "scanning" of the page. But even not so long scanning cause headache. That is why i prefer not to do scanning in most cases. Anyway thank you for help.

Re: MS-Word Fillable Form Template for NVDA Issue/Bug Reporting in Github

On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 12:19 AM, Quentin Christensen wrote:
It will come up as protected as it is a Word file that you have downloaded.  Word does that to protect you from malicious files that you might accidentally download.
I hadn't thought about Word protected view as being what was under discussion, but that makes perfect sense.  I was thinking the question was about how the template itself is protected when documents are created from it.  I disable protected view as one of the first things I do after installing Office, as I am picky about the sources where I download anything from.

You can turn off protected view for a given file you download permanently if it is from a trusted source.  You can also turn off the protected view entirely:

--

On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 05:01 AM, blago blago wrote:
My goal is to read web sites.

If I may ask, do you have any residual vision that allows you to see the mouse pointer (and you may need to use something like Daanav Mouse or Big Mouse to actually blow up the pointer)?

I ask because I have had clients who can exploit using their residual vision to do a "quick and dirty" review of a page via systematic mouse "scanning" of the page in an orderly fashion and relying on NVDA to do its thing reading what's under the mouse.

For anyone who's ever used a mouse, even if that's not a practical option for "point and click" access, they often find that just doing a slow glide down the page or across the page (or sometimes both) with the mouse to get the screen reader to announce what it's encountering under the mouse to be a very effective method for a quick scan of page contents.
--

Gene

That may be useful, but you may miss information you want. I want to know the authors of articles I read. The add-on skips those sorts of links and you move directlhy to the text of the article. For some reason, it doesn't work on my machine so I can't evaluate it by using it, but the demonstration I saw showed the behavior I am discussing.

I can't discuss other behaviors except that the demonstration I heard indicated that you had to issue the read command repeatedly on a page. Others can explain the behavior of the add-on better because they have used it. I'm not saying not to use it, I'm saying that unless you understand what it does, you may miss information you want, such as I discussed above.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, April 27, 2020 4:39 AM
To: chat@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [chat] How to read unfamiliar sites

Hi Blago!

Don't worry about language - many of us are not native english speaking, including me. The only important thing is to understand each other 😉👨🏿‍🤝
Well, I|m not an expert in web navigation myself, especially since I still see enough to get the over-all structure of a site. But you could check out for Tony's textnav add-on, that might help a bit:

https://webfriendlyhelp.com/textnav/
https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/textnav.de.html

Best
Martin

On 27/04/2020 11:01, blago blago via groups.io wrote:

Hello! Sorry my english.

I am visually impaired for not so long. Screen readers is a new thing to me. My goal is to read web sites. Previously i was a web programmer, so i understand the difference between browse and focus mode, and i know how to use single letter navigation and nvda key + F7.

I can effectively use sites that i visit often like youtube. But I don't know how to use nvda to read unfamiliar sites like those that i open through results of google. This sites does not have good structure.

My first step is to find headings, then i press down down down. If a can't find headings then i press ctrl+home, end then press down down down for find some really usefull info. But its very time consuming.

So i want to know what steps are you doing on unfamiliar sites?

Sorry if my english sounds innapropriate, its not my native language.
-- Martin Wiemer Postdoc Organic Electronics and Microsystems Research Group UMR 5218 – IMS – Laboratoire de l’Intégration du Matériau au Système ENSCBP, 16 avenue Pey Berland, 33607 Pessac, FRANCE http://oembordeaux.cnrs.fr/

Gene

Aside from headers, the other command that often works well is n for skip blocks of links. If your intention is to get to text, such as an article, that command at times works better than move by headers and there are occasional sites where move by header doesn't work at all to get you where you want to be.

You can experiment between the two on different sites and see which you prefer or which works better on more sites. You may have to issue the command more than once on a page.
Then there is the find command, NVDA key control f. Let's say you want to find something specific such as on an unfamiliar radio station page. Most such pages have a link that says "Listen Live" or it may say something like click to listen. If you search from the top of the page, you will likely find what you want using the word listen.

If you want to write to someone, a letter to the editor for example, or on a site to discuss something else, sites that expect communication from users usually have a link with the word "Contact" in it. I strongly recommend using the search function for such purposes on unfamiliar pages and not the links list. What if the link says click to listen. If you are in the links list and search by l for listen, you'll never find it and waste time.

What if some other wording is used in the Contact Us link but the link has the word "contact" somewhere in it. Again, you'll find it with find.

As you become familiar with a site, the find command is also an excellent way to find something. For example, The New York Times home page has an opinion section. If you search for opinion from the top of the page, you will get to a link that says opinion. That is a navigation link and you aren't at the section yet. If you repeat the search, the command to repeat is NVDA key f3. You will get to another instance of the word "opinion" and immediately below that is the opinion section.

If you have other specific problems or questions, ask here and members will answer if we can.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, April 27, 2020 4:01 AM
To: chat@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [chat] How to read unfamiliar sites

Hello! Sorry my english.

I am visually impaired for not so long. Screen readers is a new thing to me. My goal is to read web sites. Previously i was a web programmer, so i understand the difference between browse and focus mode, and i know how to use single letter navigation and nvda key + F7.

I can effectively use sites that i visit often like youtube. But I don't know how to use nvda to read unfamiliar sites like those that i open through results of google. This sites does not have good structure.

My first step is to find headings, then i press down down down. If a can't find headings then i press ctrl+home, end then press down down down for find some really usefull info. But its very time consuming.

André

Sorry, the second link was for the German translation 🙃 Here\s the English version on the NVDA add-ons page:

https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/textnav.en.html

On 27/04/2020 11:39, André wrote:

Hi Blago!

Don't worry about language - many of us are not native english speaking, including me. The only important thing is to understand each other 😉👨🏿‍🤝
Well, I|m not an expert in web navigation myself, especially since I still see enough to get the over-all structure of a site. But you could check out for Tony's textnav add-on, that might help a bit:

Best
Martin

Hello! Sorry my english.

--
Martin Wiemer
Postdoc
Organic Electronics and Microsystems Research Group
UMR 5218 – IMS – Laboratoire de l’Intégration du Matériau au Système
ENSCBP, 16 avenue Pey Berland, 33607 Pessac, FRANCE
http://oembordeaux.cnrs.fr/
--
Martin Wiemer

Mombachstr. 31
34127 Kassel
Germany

Tel.: +49 178 7156676

André

Hi Blago!

Best
Martin

Hello! Sorry my english.

-- 
Martin Wiemer
Postdoc
Organic Electronics and Microsystems Research Group
UMR 5218 – IMS – Laboratoire de l’Intégration du Matériau au Système
ENSCBP, 16 avenue Pey Berland, 33607 Pessac, FRANCE
http://oembordeaux.cnrs.fr/

How to read unfamiliar sites

blago blago <blago37@...>

Hello! Sorry my english.

Re: MS-Word Fillable Form Template for NVDA Issue/Bug Reporting in Github

Quentin Christensen

It will come up as protected as it is a Word file that you have downloaded.  Word does that to protect you from malicious files that you might accidentally download.

I'd be curious to hear from anyone who is nervous or reluctant about using GitHub as to either how they find this template, or what else they feel might work?

Regards

Quentin.

On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 1:33 AM Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 11:00 AM, Richard Wells wrote:
It is my understanding that all Word templates come up protected.
It depends on the type of template.   You can design templates that are nothing more than the skeleton of a document that are meant to generate that skeleton, fully editable, when the template is activated.  You can design forms where there are fillable fields along with all the labels and other material, and not protect any of it, but it makes them far more difficult to use consistently.

If, however, one is designing something meant to be filled out, where you don't want the material that isn't part of what's filled out to be changed, you will protect the document such that "For filling out forms" protection is on.  That makes only the fillable form fields accessible.  Or at least it makes them the only accessible thing until the protection is removed.

Very often, once a template that's initially set up for filling out only is filled out, there is a need to either unprotect the entire document so that it can be easily copied, or even convert all of the form fields to regular word text so that you have "a regular word document" where all the text is editable.

It all depends on what the purpose is and the downstream needs are.

--

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Re: firefox

Kerryn Gunness <k_gunness@...>

thanks

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, April 26, 2020 9:52 PM
Subject: Re: [chat] firefox

Shift tabonce from the inbox.

On 4/26/2020 6:51 PM, Kerryn Gunness via groups.io wrote:

how to get to tree  view?

Sent: Sunday, April 26, 2020 9:41 PM

You have to go to your folders using the treeview.

On 4/26/2020 6:39 PM, Kerryn Gunness via groups.io wrote:

hey all

my updated thunder bird is not as before
how do i get emails, go to folders etc
i use nvda

thanks

Re: firefox

Rosemarie Chavarria

Shift tabonce from the inbox.

On 4/26/2020 6:51 PM, Kerryn Gunness via groups.io wrote:

how to get to tree  view?

Sent: Sunday, April 26, 2020 9:41 PM

You have to go to your folders using the treeview.

On 4/26/2020 6:39 PM, Kerryn Gunness via groups.io wrote:

hey all

my updated thunder bird is not as before
how do i get emails, go to folders etc
i use nvda

thanks

4401 - 4420 of 6330