Date   

Re: Important information for Google Chrome users

Gene

That doesn’t mean you won’t have the problem.  The Software informer doesn’t run whenever you run Chrome and I believe that after it completes, it doesn’t run for another month.  Also, it appears, from one article I read, that this problem doesn’t affect all Chrome users.  My reason for discussing the matter is to let people know that if they do have such a problem, knowing about this problem may allow them to solve it.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, October 01, 2021 9:19 AM
Subject: Re: [chat] Important information for Google Chrome users

on my lenovo laptop I am running google chrome right now, and my processor is only at 8%. It's a new Lenovo from January 2021 or so. 

Re: Important information for Google Chrome users

Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...>

on my lenovo laptop I am running google chrome right now, and my processor is only at 8%. It's a new Lenovo from January 2021 or so. 

Important information for Google Chrome users

Gene

I seldom use Google Chrome but at times when I do, my ;processor use goes up dramatically.  I know it does because the fan in my laptop runs far more than usual and it runs faster much of the time.  Checking in Task Manager to verify processor use shows very high usage, over 70 percent.

Here is a very thorough article on the subject.  I am not familiar with the source, but the article looks thorough and reliable.

Gene

Tech News, Audible and Play Books Accessibility, Windows 11 Accessibility, and More

Nimer Jaber

Hello everyone,

Nimer and Kirt will be going live Thursday evening at 6:00 PM Pacific U.S., 01:00 UTC to discuss the tech news of the week, Windows 11 accessibility, Audible and Play Books accessibility, and more. We go live weekly on my YouTube channel, so please share and subscribe to stay updated about the latest happenings.

To watch the stream live or any time after, please visit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCCtE-q5HrM

To get a list of past videos, or to subscribe, please visit https://www.youtube.com/nimerjaber

If you have questions you'd like answered, you can leave those in the chat, in the comments, or send an email to nimerjaber1@...

Please note that links to any articles we discuss are in the video description.

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

To find out about a free, open-source, and versatile screen reader for Windows, visit nvaccess.org

You can follow @nimerjaber on Twitter for the latest technology news.

Thank you, and have a great day!

Re: installing font to google doc

farhan israk

Thank you.

On Wed, 29 Sep 2021, 1:52 am Shaun Everiss, <sm.everiss@...> wrote:

Well you can't probably install them to google docs since its online.

On your computer if you do a windows r and then type fonts you can probably paste them in there.

I don't actually do this but I have if anyone gives a damn a copy of the old office 97 fonts which I pulled from office 97 because not all fonts were included at that stage.

It probably is historical but I always install them and whatever.

On 29/09/2021 6:31 am, farhan israk wrote:
I have downloaded some fonts for Microsoft word. Those fonts are not available on google doc. How can I install them to google doc?

Re: installing font to google doc

Well you can't probably install them to google docs since its online.

On your computer if you do a windows r and then type fonts you can probably paste them in there.

I don't actually do this but I have if anyone gives a damn a copy of the old office 97 fonts which I pulled from office 97 because not all fonts were included at that stage.

It probably is historical but I always install them and whatever.

On 29/09/2021 6:31 am, farhan israk wrote:

I have downloaded some fonts for Microsoft word. Those fonts are not available on google doc. How can I install them to google doc?

installing font to google doc

farhan israk

Re: Does anyone know how to get at the macros in Microsoft XLSM spreadsheet

Pele West

Hi Colin

1. Open the spreadsheet

2. Press <Alt+F8> to bring up the list of macros. You should land on the first one.

3. <Tab> once to see the list of macros.

4. Use the Up and Down arrows to navigate through the list.

5. Press <Enter> to run one of the macros.

6. If you want to edit one of them, instead of pressing <Enter>, <Tab> to Edit and press <Enter>.

Pele West

On 27/09/2021 17:46, Khalid Anwar wrote:

Hi, I have a Microsoft XLSM spreadsheet with some buttons at the top, but I’m not sure how to get the screen reader to go to them, it just stays in the spreadsheet but is not able to read the list of controls at the top of the sheet.
for Anyone who doesn’t know what a slam spreadsheet is, this does a good job of explaining it:
https://docs.fileformat.com/spreadsheet/xlsm/
essentially it’s a Microsoft XL spreadsheet but with macros to automate processes.

Does anyone know how to get at the macros in Microsoft XLSM spreadsheet

Khalid Anwar

Hi, I have a Microsoft XLSM spreadsheet with some buttons at the top, but I’m not sure how to get the screen reader to go to them, it just stays in the spreadsheet but is not able to read the list of controls at the top of the sheet.
for Anyone who doesn’t know what a slam spreadsheet is, this does a good job of explaining it:
https://docs.fileformat.com/spreadsheet/xlsm/
essentially it’s a Microsoft XL spreadsheet but with macros to automate processes.

Re: directly accessing a specific column in an excel spreadsheet

Janet Brandly

I am also following this topic. Thanks for this info.

From: chat@nvda.groups.io <chat@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: September 23, 2021 7:44 PM
To: chat@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [chat] directly accessing a specific column in an excel spreadsheet

Hi Mary,

If you are in the current month column and want to hear the product name (from column A)  as you press down arrow, you can set column A to be the header column.  Here's the section in the user guide: https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/documentation/userGuide.html#ExcelAutomaticColumnAndRowHeaderReading  It's also covered in more depth in the Excel training module: https://www.nvaccess.org/product/microsoft-excel-training-for-nvda-ebook/

If you want to jump between cells, you could use "GoTo".  Press alt+g, then type (for instance) A4, then enter to jump to column A in row 4, to jump back to column K, press alt+g, K4, enter.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 11:14 AM Mary Otten <maryotten@...> wrote:

I have a spreadsheet in Excel that lists various products you can order
down the left column. The rows go across, starting with the product,
then going to the price and then by month for all 12 months. I would
like to be able to arrow down the column for the current month and, when
I get to something I have ordered, I want to press a key combination to
access the A field in that row to see what the product is. Otherwise, I
end up arrowing all the way across and then back to the column for the
current month. That's a lot of arrowing the later you go into the
12-month cycle. So I wonder if there is a way to do what I want.

mary

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Apple Event, Linux in Chrome and Windows, Google Sheets from Nimer and Kirt

Nimer Jaber

Hello everyone,

The latest video from my YouTube channel is out.

In this video, Nimer and Kirt discuss the happenings from the Apple event last week and make recommendations as to whether we recommend upgrading. We also discuss Linux in Chrome and Windows, provide a demo of Google Sheets (similar to Excel), and more.

If you enjoy the content, please consider subscribing, and sharing the video as well. You can get a list of past videos and subscribe to the channel by visiting https://www.youtube.com/nimerjaber

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

To find out about a free, open-source, and versatile screen reader for Windows, visit nvaccess.org

You can follow @nimerjaber on Twitter for the latest technology news.

Thank you, and have a great day!

Quentin Christensen

You're welcome Mary!

Headers are covered in the user guide, but only briefly.  Go To is only listed in the Excel module, because it is an Excel command (which will work for anyone, regardless of whether they are using NVDA or not).

Excel gets quite complex, so if it's something you use a lot, or would like to know better, I would recommend the material, as there is a lot of useful information in there (if I do say so myself!)

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 12:48 PM Mary Otten <maryotten@...> wrote:

Thanks, Quenton. I guess I should ;buy the training materials, since I've looked through the manual and totally didn't get what I should have. <sigh>

Mary

On 9/23/2021 6:44 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:
Hi Mary,

If you are in the current month column and want to hear the product name (from column A)  as you press down arrow, you can set column A to be the header column.  Here's the section in the user guide: https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/documentation/userGuide.html#ExcelAutomaticColumnAndRowHeaderReading  It's also covered in more depth in the Excel training module: https://www.nvaccess.org/product/microsoft-excel-training-for-nvda-ebook/

If you want to jump between cells, you could use "GoTo".  Press alt+g, then type (for instance) A4, then enter to jump to column A in row 4, to jump back to column K, press alt+g, K4, enter.

Kind regards

Quentin.

mary

--
Quentin Christensen

--
Quentin Christensen

Mary Otten

Thanks, Quenton. I guess I should ;buy the training materials, since I've looked through the manual and totally didn't get what I should have. <sigh>

Mary

On 9/23/2021 6:44 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:

Hi Mary,

Kind regards

Quentin.

mary

--
Quentin Christensen

Quentin Christensen

Hi Mary,

Kind regards

Quentin.

mary

--
Quentin Christensen

directly accessing a specific column in an excel spreadsheet

Mary Otten

I have a spreadsheet in Excel that lists various products you can order down the left column. The rows go across, starting with the product, then going to the price and then by month for all 12 months. I would like to be able to arrow down the column for the current month and, when I get to something I have ordered, I want to press a key combination to access the A field in that row to see what the product is. Otherwise, I end up arrowing all the way across and then back to the column for the current month. That's a lot of arrowing the later you go into the 12-month cycle. So I wonder if there is a way to do what I want.

mary

Using Microsoft Word Fillable Forms with Legacy Controls for Accessibility

Microsoft Word Accessible Fillable Forms Tutorials

Creating Accessible Microsoft Word Fillable Forms.docx

Converting a Fillable Word Form to a Document Whose Contents Can Be Copied or Edited.docx

Examples of MS-Word Accessible Fillable Forms

Simple_Fillable_Form.dotx  (the one used in the tutorial on creating them)

BusNoteForm.dotx  (actually used in a local school, but anonymized)

Faux_Service_Invoice_Fillable_Form.dotx

NVDA_GitHub_Issue_Template.dotx

New_to_Template_NVDA_GitHub_Issue_Template.dotx

Topic on the Microsoft Office Accessibility Discussion Group that spawned what's above:  Tutorials on Creating Accessible MS-Word Fillable Forms Plus Examples of Those Forms
I cannot recall at the moment if there was additional discussion in that topic.  I have posted this material on multiple occasions.

--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043

The poor wish to be rich, the rich wish to be happy, the single wish to be married, and the married wish to be dead.

~ Ann Landers

downloading books from BARD

Don H

Since 2011 I have downloaded 2993 books from the Bard web site. Having read that many books I sometimes forget a title I have read and download it again. After discovering this fact I have always gone back to my previous downloads on the Bard site and try to see when I had downloaded it before. When doing this a record of my first download of the book never shows. Discovery today, if you have downloaded a book twice only the latest download shows up thus it appears you only downloaded the book once. Don't know why it took me so long to figure this out.

Re: What is the best accessible calendar

Dave Grossoehme

Good Morning:  If you are looking for one certain date in each month for this year, why not, search in your search engine for this information?

Dave G

On 9/14/2021 11:33 AM, Shaun Everiss wrote:

Do you want a physical one, an electronic one or a device spaciffic one.

I have an old supercube which has time and date on it, but there are various talking calendar clocks on the market, and your local blind organisation will have the latest model.

Usually pyrimid or cubes and maybe others.

Your phone or tablet will handle calendar, even my old symbian has this feature.

Your smart speaker of choice will be able to do this if you ask it.

There is a clock addon on nvda that will handle it maybe not sure.

Windows has one, not sure how easy it is to get things to do though.

Google has one but again not sure if there is an app for that.

There are braille ones of course I have one for the year but really you probably want something less clunky.

I use my supercube clock and calendar several times a day.

Now I don't physically work or studdy I wouldn't be able to keep track of my life otherwise.

On 15/09/2021 5:12 am, Khalid Anwar wrote:
What is the best accessible calendar.
Basically, I want to know, for example, what day the 22nd would fall on every month in a year, how can I do this?
Also, how accessible is outlooks built in calendar.

Re: windows defender exclusions

Well I have just set the first drive to f and the second to g and it still does not work.

But as I said it works first time I set exclusion then when I pull the drive and plug it back in it doesn't work as if half the exclude is not being applied right or something is not resetting or something.

As I said this only happened after the last engine update this week.

The exclusion works but after you plug the drive in it doesn't completely apply itself is my issue.

I only use 1 drive at a time but just in case of movement f and g are dedicated letters for the 2 drives.

I only run 1 drive at once for backups at a time.

As I said before the start of this week it worked fine but who knows.

Its more anoying than anything.

I have not tried this with my internals but I assume as long as the drives are always connected it will work, I say this only because my internal drives haven't had this issue yet.

On 15/09/2021 5:14 am, Brian Vogel wrote:

This is not seriously bad.  It's pretty much precisely what I'd expect with external drives that have not been assigned drive letters well above "the usual starting point" and, depending on when which was plugged in, and whether USB thumb drives are plugged in, and whether SD cards are in use, could each have been given what had been the other's drive letter the last time they were plugged in.

If you intend to use external drives as you describe, then you had better be going into Disk Management when you first connect them and assigning them a drive letter like, say Q, R, S, T, etc., that would never be used as part of the typical "on the fly" progression.  Exclusions set on those drives, when the letter is consistent, and when the thing excluded remains on "the same drive" (as far as Windows is concerned) will remain excluded.

If it shifts around from being on E the last time and F this time it won't be.

You consistently want to blame Microsoft for what is end user error.  And I have, in decades of experience with Microsoft, virtually never had them propose a reformat as an early stage fix recommendation.  You have, repeatedly, and been called on it, too.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043

The poor wish to be rich, the rich wish to be happy, the single wish to be married, and the married wish to be dead.

~ Ann Landers

Re: What is the best accessible calendar

Do you want a physical one, an electronic one or a device spaciffic one.

I have an old supercube which has time and date on it, but there are various talking calendar clocks on the market, and your local blind organisation will have the latest model.

Usually pyrimid or cubes and maybe others.

Your phone or tablet will handle calendar, even my old symbian has this feature.

Your smart speaker of choice will be able to do this if you ask it.

There is a clock addon on nvda that will handle it maybe not sure.

Windows has one, not sure how easy it is to get things to do though.

Google has one but again not sure if there is an app for that.

There are braille ones of course I have one for the year but really you probably want something less clunky.

I use my supercube clock and calendar several times a day.

Now I don't physically work or studdy I wouldn't be able to keep track of my life otherwise.

On 15/09/2021 5:12 am, Khalid Anwar wrote:

What is the best accessible calendar.
Basically, I want to know, for example, what day the 22nd would fall on every month in a year, how can I do this?
Also, how accessible is outlooks built in calendar.

2721 - 2740 of 6311