Date   

Re: internet download manager alternatives

I have getright but its not been updated for ages now.

To be honest I don't really use it because of fibre I just don't seem to need it.

But then I don't download over 1gb files that much these days.

On 19/11/2021 5:09 am, farhan israk wrote:
What accessible internet download manager alternatives is available for windows?

ok for those that want it go

Hi.

Looks like windows 10 21h2 is finally deploying.

For those that want to try and to be honest there isn't any reason not to due to small number of changes, the update just deployed on my intel 4th gen and my ryzen 2nd gen and I am sure it will be on my other gen intel when I check on saturday.

Remember to deauthorise itunes and deactive/reactivate vocaliser eloquence and anything you think you need before updating.

Also note there is a new store version out.

The only real thing to note is you need to go to library to update your collection.

Otherwise the interface will take a bit to get used to.

Nothing really was changed or noticed to be changed but  there is that.

Before deployment came out there were driver updates for amd displays and intel displays and wireless devices but thats about it.

Nothing should stop people loading this update and its not even changing any real settings.

Its all there within a few seconds.

Re: auto capitalise in gmail and google doc

On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 02:07 PM, farhan israk wrote:
There is no such check box to turn on auto capitalise
-
Oh, yes there is, and it is a checkbox with precisely the phrasing noted in those instructions.  First option in the General tab of preferences, accessed precisely as described in the instructions.

In that very same Tools Menu, immediately beneath the Preferences option and the last item in the menu, is Accessibility Settings, and the very first Accessibility Setting is a checkbox for Turn on screen reader support, which, if activated, allows for the selection and deselection of Braille Support and Collaboration Support.  It may have other effects of which I am not aware, as I do not use Google Docs.

A web search on "Using google docs with a screen reader" turns up hundreds of documents on same, a very great many of the ones near the top of the results from Google, but there are others from third parties.  Something any screen reader user needs to do before using any unfamiliar software, and particularly something produced by Google or Microsoft, is to do a web search on, "Using {insert thing here} with a screen reader."  Both of these companies produce extensive documentation on how to use virtually any software they distribute in conjunction with a screen reader, and most of them "get to the guts" of any preliminary setup you may need to do to make use with a screen reader easier right up front.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.

~ Harlan Ellison

farhan israk

Thank you. I have checked preference of google doc. There is no such check box to turn on auto capitalise.

On Thu, 18 Nov 2021, 10:25 pm Brian Vogel, <britechguy@...> wrote:
Easily found with a basic web search"auto capitalize Google docs":

How to Stop Automatically Capitalizing Words in Google Docs
(if you want to turn it on, then simply check instead of uncheck)

and "auto captalize gmail," where all the returned items pretty much say this:

Gmail does not have auto-correct or even auto spell-check (only manual). While browsers have auto spell-check, they do not have auto-correct. So you’l need to find some browser extension or other utility to do that sort of auto-correction when composing messages.

Thank you for posting this question in the Chat Subgroup, as that's precisely where it belongs and sets a good example!

--

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.

~ Harlan Ellison

farhan israk

Thank you.

On Thu, 18 Nov 2021, 11:01 pm Mert Anlar, <sonay-mert@...> wrote:

Greetings;
A few months ago i've discovered Internet Download Accelerator (ida), it's for free but it has pro version as well.
Below i'm posting the download link for free version, give it a try if you want:
http://download1.westbyte.com/ida/idasetup.exe
Regards.

18.11.2021 19:09 tarihinde farhan israk yazdı:
What accessible internet download manager alternatives is available for windows?

Mert Anlar

Greetings;
A few months ago i've discovered Internet Download Accelerator (ida), it's for free but it has pro version as well.
Below i'm posting the download link for free version, give it a try if you want:
http://download1.westbyte.com/ida/idasetup.exe
Regards.

18.11.2021 19:09 tarihinde farhan israk yazdı:

a serious case of inaccessibility in the cryptocurrency industry

Tyler Zahnke <programmer651@...>

Hello. Why do you think so many of the world's desktop cryptocurrency
wallets are inaccessible? The commonly available cryptocurrency
wallets, such as the Bitcoin Core wallet you can download from
bitcoincore.org, use this QT interface that doesn't let you Ctrl-Tab
around it; luckily to check your balance you can do a big read-all key
like NVDA+B, but as far as tabbing to the send or receive function,
it's impossible; luckily the help menu in many of these wallets has a
debug feature where you can type in commands to get your address, get
your balance, send coins, but as far as the actual graphical
interface, you can tab around the area you're currently on, but you
can't Ctrl+Tab to a different part of the window, though an NVDA+B
command clearly shows the window has multiple tabs. Why has this been
a problem for so long? In fact, I think every blind person and crypto
technology programmer should take a few hints from Palai, located at
palai.org. Yes, I know it's the website I complained about as far as
the "remember me" checkbox, but that's just one little thing; most of
the other checkboxes work, and sending, receiving and becoming part of
the coin generating process are all accessible, therefore giving Palai
a 95% accessibility rating on my scale (was 100% when that checkbox
actually worked as intended) but I think all accessibility advocates
who care about cryptocurrency should sign up for Palai (request
referral code from me if you want), but that crypto website got a 95%,
which is good compared to the 85% that most exchange websites have
(it's worse since you have to often take a live picture of your ID
with your phone; on sites where you can upload the picture as a
GIF/JPEG, those are 90% accessible), but these external storage
software wallets, at least on Windows, get more like a 30% rating; I
used to give them a 0 or 1% accessibility rating, but at least they
have that little command line debug where you can use the functions of
the wallet with commands instead of the graphical interface, so at
least I had mild success, but still, with the graphical interface not
being very navigable, that dragged the rating down so low. Now I bet
even the developers of Palai don't have experience with the blind, but
their site is so good that, at times, you think they do; only some of
the more recent changes like the remember me checkbox make you
question the accessibility, but besides that everything on palai.org
is unbelievably accessible. And as far as I know, there hasn't been a
special crypto app just for blind people, and I've actually had people
at conventions say "whatever" to me; remember, these are accessibility
advocates I was talking to, but because I was talking about crypto,
they said crypto was too weird/strange/foreign to them so they said
they don't care about accessibility issues in that weird industry.
People talk about it more and more all the time, why are accessibility
advocates ignoring us? Because they think it's an insignificant
technology radar blip? It's big news these days, I'm tellin' ya. I
know this coin isn't on the market yet, but due to both its blind
accessibility and the fact that it's designed for global economic
accessibility, even in countries with a large unbanked population, I
hope you sign up for palai.org and claim your free dividend; I've
already seen classifieds sites and music sites and even German job
searches taking this particular currency as payment, so all you
accessibility advocates who care about digital assets, please check
this out. But Palai isn't the main focus of this email, it's just an
accessible way to get a nice free piece of a digital asset, and a site
where 95% of features are accessible with screen readers. The focus of
the email is, why does it feel like there's no website or desktop
application that's truly accessible for regular cryptocurrencies such
as Bitcoin? The closest we have is the Bitcoin savings account and
betting game freebitco.in, but as far as sites for buying coins, due
to the government ID scanning and such, doesn't this lower the
accessibility a bit? Once you get the Bitcoins, I'm guessing
freebitco.in is your most accessible storage place, but still, it's a
web wallet; those who want to store privately have to use those
30%-accessible QT GUI wallets. The world's biggest exchange, Coinbase,
would get the closest to an 85% accessibility rating I've ever given,
but again, that's still a public site; freebitco.in gets a 99% rating
but it's not an exchange site, so perhaps buying on Coinbase and
transfering to Freebitco would be the best way for a blind person to
handle their bitcoins, but still due to exchange laws, that showing of
ID on Coinbase can be tough. Luckily I keep around a picture of my ID;
that got me into a few sites, it's a picture of the front of my ID,
but Coinbase is stricter, they need both front and back; not even sure
how that works, if you would need to upload two separate images or
what.

Easily found with a basic web search"auto capitalize Google docs":

How to Stop Automatically Capitalizing Words in Google Docs
(if you want to turn it on, then simply check instead of uncheck)

and "auto captalize gmail," where all the returned items pretty much say this:

Gmail does not have auto-correct or even auto spell-check (only manual). While browsers have auto spell-check, they do not have auto-correct. So you’l need to find some browser extension or other utility to do that sort of auto-correction when composing messages.

Thank you for posting this question in the Chat Subgroup, as that's precisely where it belongs and sets a good example!

--

~ Harlan Ellison

Sandbox Feature of Windows

farhan israk

I use Windows 10 21h2 and nvda 2021.2. How can I use windows senbox with screen reader? If I open it, the screen reader does not announce anything. I cannot even close it with a screen reader.

Re: windows 10 21h2 deployment

On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 02:51 AM, Shaun Everiss wrote:

Brian I suspect because there have been times where microsoft just chucked out there.

Obviously after the 18.09 update they really got shot in the foot over that one.

-
There has never been a feature update, not even during the fully automatic update acceptance era, that was literally "just chucked out there."  The basic cohort by cohort rollout procedure has been in place since day one.  What did change, and it was significant, was the removal of the fully automatic update acceptance.  Feature Updates now apply only under one of two circumstances:

1.  The user of the computer activates the Download and install link in the Windows Update pane to accept it.

2.  The computer comes within 60 days of the end of life of whatever version happens to be running on it.  Under that circumstance alone Windows Update will seek out and automatically install whatever the current version happens to be so that the machine continues using a version that's under support.  I actually only know of one person where this has happened, and he "rigged" the situation by not touching an old computer he really didn't use just to see exactly what would happen if he ran out the clock on the version of Windows 10 that was running.

No one's saying, least of all me, that Microsoft has not had some catastrophic mistakes, but those are not relevant to knowing how the basic feature update rollout process works, and has worked for years.  At this point in time, there are very few people who have not been using Windows 10 for a couple of years now, at a minimum.  I get why very late adopters would not understand the process, but the questions of the form, "How is this going to work?," with regard to feature updates often come from the same people each and every feature update cycle.  How it works hasn't changed.  And what's worse is that the question could be answered with an archive search or a web search.  The basic process has been discussed to death.
--

~ Harlan Ellison

auto capitalise in gmail and google doc

farhan israk

i use windows 10 21h2, latest google chrome and nvda 2021.2. What should I do to auto capitalise first letter of the first word of any line on gmail and google doc?

internet download manager alternatives

farhan israk

Re: Is there an easy way to rearrange Quick Launch items in Windows 10?

Gera,

One thing that tutorial doesn't make clear is whether the CTRL + ALT + Left/Right arrow command in the taskbar is a Windows command or a JAWS Command.  I don't have Windows 11 to test and differentiate which it actually is, but that is important.  If it's a new Windows Command it could eventually end up back ported to Windows 10.  If it's not, then it won't, and other screen readers would need to implement similar functionality if enough users want it.

See my post:  https://winaccess.groups.io/g/winaccess/message/50888 
and one by Bill White on the same topic:  https://winaccess.groups.io/g/winaccess/message/50894 

The entire topic is worth a read-through.
--

~ Harlan Ellison

Is there an easy way to rearrange Quick Launch items in Windows 10?

Gerardo Corripio <gera1027@...>

Edited

Aside from sending you’ll Fall greetings from Mexico, I was wondering if Windows10 has an easy way to rearrange pinned items within the Windows10 Taskbar? Take a look at this video where they teach how to do this with Windows11, thus I was wondering if Windows10 has something similar? I’ve had to delete the icons and put them again, in the order I’d like them to be. Here’s the video to give you guys some ackground into what I’m wondering https://youtu.be/9Vw6LIyTgXo

Gera
Enviado desde mi iPhone SE (2nd Generation) de Telcel

Brian I suspect because there have been times where microsoft just chucked out there.

Obviously after the 18.09 update they really got shot in the foot over that one.

I have had updates almost straight away but yeah they are being carefull I guess.

Technically I could load it since I have the media but I am in no hurry.

At least I know we are garanteed at least 5 more well 5 including this one feature updates per cycle.

Thats going to make things a lot easier for businesses and consumers.

Its also going to make things easier on those making sure things work.

So maybe more stuff will work who knows.

And some stuff can take longer.

For example I test the dolphin supernova line of products.

And well windows 11 has only just gone live this week.

At least official support.

I've just had intel and amd update certain drivers so yeah if there is any issue things are updating as they need to.

Of course it goes without saying I do have the backup media for both 11 and 10 there so if I need them I can still do stuff with them.

On 18/11/2021 5:57 pm, Brian Vogel wrote:
I really cannot fathom how anyone who has been using Windows 10 for any period of time does not yet understand how feature update rollouts work.  And yet there are quite a few "long timers" who never seem to absorb anything about how this has been working.  They're like blank slates at each and every feature update.

The feature update rollout process has been working as it now works for at least 3 years now, maybe a little longer, and the rollout process is always months-long with very small numbers of machines being updated in a cohort at the early stages of the rollout, with the numbers becoming larger and larger in each subsequent cohort if no unexpected issues have been detected in telemetry from the preceding cohorts.

Essentially, unless you force the update with the Update Assistant or doing a feature update with the ISO file, it's always a, "You'll get it when Microsoft offers it to you in Settings, Update & Security, Windows Update Pane, and not a moment before."  And when you get it, it will be offered, not installed fully automatically.  The end user must activate the Download and install link to consent to the update.
--

~ Harlan Ellison

I really cannot fathom how anyone who has been using Windows 10 for any period of time does not yet understand how feature update rollouts work.  And yet there are quite a few "long timers" who never seem to absorb anything about how this has been working.  They're like blank slates at each and every feature update.

The feature update rollout process has been working as it now works for at least 3 years now, maybe a little longer, and the rollout process is always months-long with very small numbers of machines being updated in a cohort at the early stages of the rollout, with the numbers becoming larger and larger in each subsequent cohort if no unexpected issues have been detected in telemetry from the preceding cohorts.

Essentially, unless you force the update with the Update Assistant or doing a feature update with the ISO file, it's always a, "You'll get it when Microsoft offers it to you in Settings, Update & Security, Windows Update Pane, and not a moment before."  And when you get it, it will be offered, not installed fully automatically.  The end user must activate the Download and install link to consent to the update.
--

~ Harlan Ellison

windows 10 21h2 deployment

Hi all.
I have been noticing a lot of people asking this on win 10 list.
For those that asked, both intel systems I have a 7200 and a 4500 both
i5, one asus desktop another hp laptop and my amd ryzen 2nd gen have
all not got the update just yet.
I suspect that they are targeting other systems first though I am
checking daily to see if its here or not.
For those that want to that is.
For the rest, it comes when it comes.
As it is a feature update just like windows 11 if you get that,
remember to deactivate vocaliser eloquence and deauthorise yourself
out of itunes to stop screwing things up or losing licences.
Note that doesn't seem to effect anything else but oh well thats life I guess.

Re: External sound card recommendations

Giles Turnbull

personally, Carlos, I don't think the sound of computer speech would
be hugely improved by hving a separate external card for NVDA and a
separate extrnal card for music. If you are listening to NVDA reading
a substantial amount of text, such as several chapters from a novel,
then you might notice the improvement. But, if you're buying an
extrnal soundcard for listening to music, then it would also improve
the speech output from NVDA. Computer speech is so synthetic that
you're not going to turn it into a rich male baritone voice or a
beautiful female mezzo just by changing the soundcard.

I also don't think it would be very practical to have two different
USB soundcardes, because you'd have to have one set of headphones to
hear NVDA and another set for listening to music! You coud have one
USB soundcard into which you attach a pair of speakers for listening
to NVDA, and a second USB soundcard into which you attach a pair of
headphones or a second set of speakers, but I think the benefits would
be minimal.

If it were possible to create an NVDA configuration profile that
activated depending on the soundcard in use, then I can think of a
benefit to having two USB soundcards. To the best of my knowledge this
is not possible. I actually asked a question related to this on the
main NVDA list a couple of weeks ago. This only happens with my
expensive Chord Mojo soundcard and headphone amp. NVDA sound is far
too loud compared to the audio. I have a configuration profile that
activates when WinAmp is running so that the NVDA volume is reduced,
but system sounds do not reduce. The beep that indicates when you have
entered a text box on a website is uncomfortably loud, to the extent
that I try to avoid needing to do any web searches while using the
Mojo. But, because there seems to be no way to reduce the volume of
those beeps, there is again no benefit of having two soundcards. I've
tried to find the beep in the Windows system sounds without success,
and I'm actually banging my head against a wall right now because I've
just found the solution! The sounds are not system sounds, they are in
the NVDA directory in Program Files (x96) folder! I can edit the
volume of those wav files and not risk destroying my eardrums while
doing web searches while listening to the Mojo! Of course, the sounds
will be quieter when not listening to the Mojo, but I could live with
that. Thanks Carlos for your indirect assistance :)

Giles

Giles

On 11/17/21, Carlos <gmjc341961@...> wrote:
Hello, One sound card for nvda and other for audio/video. The Laptop
sound card is intel which works ok! However, I wonder if an external USB
card would make audio/video sound that much better? Thank You For all
your help!

On 11/16/2021 9:29 AM, Gene wrote:
How much do you care about the quality of audio.  Are you asking
because you want better audio than you get from the onboard sound card
or do you want to have screen-reader audio come from one sound card
and other audio come from the other sound card?
Gene
-----Original Message-----
*Sent:* Tuesday, November 16, 2021 11:09 AM
*To:* chat@nvda.groups.io
*Subject:* Re: [chat] External sound card recommendations

Good Morning, I'm not going to use it for recording. However, I'm
going to use it for listening to music (.mp3, .mid, .wav and alike).
As well as using it to listen to accessible video, and other content.
My audio/video player of choice are foobar2000, vlc media player,
synthfont midi player. Thank You For all your help and suggestions!

On 11/16/2021 8:22 AM, Gene wrote:
Sound cards will usually play if you just plug them in.  But sound
cards that have features more than just to play, which covers
soundcards that are not just very inexpensive ones, do require that
software be installed if you want to use those other features.
How much do you care about sound quality?  That is one factor to
consider in what you buy.  Also, do you want other features than just
play such as the ability to record using a line-in input or other
features?  That, too, will be a factor in determining what you buy.
Gene
*Sent:* Tuesday, November 16, 2021 9:05 AM
*To:* chat@nvda.groups.io
*Subject:* Re: [chat] External sound card recommendations
Hi Carlos,

I have used a few different USB soundcards, from cheapo ones bought
off ebay for less than £5, to expensive hifi-quality ones costing up
to £400. Only one of them has required any setup.

A USB soundcard plugs into a USB port and takes over the role of the
computer's internal soundcard. The result is that you don't hear
anything until you plug a pair of headphones or a set of speakers into
the USB soundcard's 3.5mm headphone socket.

When you plug a USB soundcard into a USB socket, Windows will beep to
let you know something has been plugged in, the same sound as happens
with any USB connection. There's usually nothing more to set up.

I can't say much about the cheapo ones, other than that they can be
handy if you've accidentally (or intentionally) changed something that
means you've lost sound - I have done that before when connecting
other USB sound inputs (such as a USB record deck) that has resulted
in not being able to hear NVDA due to the internal soundcard becoming
inactive. Plugging in a USB soundcard and a pair of headphones or
wired speakers gives you sound again so that you can work as normal.

With hifi-quality USB soundcards you can get a tremendous improvement
in sound quality, especially if you listen to higher-quality audio
formats, such as wav, flac, ogg or 320kbps mp3 files ... I purchase
albums and tracks in flac format from 7 Digital.

I have two versions of the Audioquest Dragonfly USB soundcard, the
Dragonfly Red is cheaper at about £250 and the newer Dragonfly Cobalt
is £350 ... they do have different sound profiles - the Cobalt being a
little more clinical and the Red being a little warmer. The Cobalt is
also a little louder which means it is able to power more-demanding
headphones. Then recently, after the purchase of a really good pair of
planar / electrostatic headphones, I managed to find a hifi shop that
still had the Mojo DAC from Chord Electronics available (it is out of
stock at many hifi places) ... the Mojo costs £400 but it is superb.
The Mojo has three different digital inputs, 1x TOSLink optical, 1x
3.5mm COAX SPDIF, and 1x micro USB. I use the micro-SD and use an
audioquest Carbon USB to Micro-USB cable to connect it to my laptop. a
regular USB to Micro-SD cable will work but, as with all decent hifi
equipment, you get better sound through better cables :) Obviously
with more than one input, it can be tricky without sighted help to
figure out what you connect where. I'm pretty comfortable with hifi
equipment and cables, but I sent Chord Electronics an email to confirm
which micro-USB socket was for charging and which was for audio input.
I had a reply the same day, which was great. The cheap USB soundcards
and the audioquest ones are powered through the USB connection so
don't need any charging. The Mojo, because it is substantially louder,
needs to be charged up.

I did have to instal a specific Windows driver for the Chord Mojo but
the Dragonfly devices and the cheaper USB soundcards are all supported
by Windows so work straight out of the box.

Hope that helps,

Giles

On 11/16/21, Carlos mailto:gmjc341961@... wrote:
Hello All, I am interested in getting an external USB card. Which
sound
card is good/best for a blind person to setup and use? Thank You
for all
your suggestions!

Gene

I couldn’t say.  It depends in part on what you are listening on and how much you spend on the external card. 

Gene

Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2021 8:38 PM
Subject: Re: [chat] External sound card recommendations

Hello, One sound card for nvda and other for audio/video. The Laptop sound card is intel which works ok! However, I wonder if an external USB card would make audio/video sound that much better? Thank You For all your help!

How much do you care about the quality of audio.  Are you asking because you want better audio than you get from the onboard sound card or do you want to have screen-reader audio come from one sound card and other audio come from the other sound card? 

Gene
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2021 11:09 AM

Good Morning, I'm not going to use it for recording. However, I'm going to use it for listening to music (.mp3, .mid, .wav and alike). As well as using it to listen to accessible video, and other content. My audio/video player of choice are foobar2000, vlc media player, synthfont midi player. Thank You For all your help and suggestions!

Sound cards will usually play if you just plug them in.  But sound cards that have features more than just to play, which covers soundcards that are not just very inexpensive ones, do require that software be installed if you want to use those other features. 

How much do you care about sound quality?  That is one factor to consider in what you buy.  Also, do you want other features than just play such as the ability to record using a line-in input or other features?  That, too, will be a factor in determining what you buy. 

Gene
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2021 9:05 AM

Hi Carlos,

needs to be charged up.

Hope that helps,

Giles

> Hello All, I am interested in getting an external USB card. Which sound
> card is good/best for a blind person to setup and use? Thank You for all
> your suggestions!
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Carlos

Hello, One sound card for nvda and other for audio/video. The Laptop sound card is intel which works ok! However, I wonder if an external USB card would make audio/video sound that much better? Thank You For all your help!

How much do you care about the quality of audio.  Are you asking because you want better audio than you get from the onboard sound card or do you want to have screen-reader audio come from one sound card and other audio come from the other sound card? 

Gene
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2021 11:09 AM

Good Morning, I'm not going to use it for recording. However, I'm going to use it for listening to music (.mp3, .mid, .wav and alike). As well as using it to listen to accessible video, and other content. My audio/video player of choice are foobar2000, vlc media player, synthfont midi player. Thank You For all your help and suggestions!

Sound cards will usually play if you just plug them in.  But sound cards that have features more than just to play, which covers soundcards that are not just very inexpensive ones, do require that software be installed if you want to use those other features. 

How much do you care about sound quality?  That is one factor to consider in what you buy.  Also, do you want other features than just play such as the ability to record using a line-in input or other features?  That, too, will be a factor in determining what you buy. 

Gene
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2021 9:05 AM

Hi Carlos,

needs to be charged up.

Hope that helps,

Giles

> Hello All, I am interested in getting an external USB card. Which sound
> card is good/best for a blind person to setup and use? Thank You for all
> your suggestions!
>
>
>
>
>
>