Date   

Re: Sandbox Feature of Windows

David Mellor

Brian - The previous post made reference to VM and implied it's use for sandboxing and I was interested to ask

I think it's close enough to the original posts topic.

David

From: chat@nvda.groups.io [mailto:chat@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: 20 November 2021 23:56
To: chat@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [chat] Sandbox Feature of Windows

On Sat, Nov 20, 2021 at 03:11 PM, David Mellor wrote:
I thought I read that only the paid version of VM player provides total network isolation
-
I'm not sure where VM player entered the conversation, but it's not what's being asked about.  A sandbox app/feature was built straight into Windows 10 in editions other than Home.  The article originally referenced from HowToGeek, How to Use Windows 10’s New Sandbox (to Safely Test Apps), made this absolutely clear.

--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.

~ Harlan Ellison

_._,_._,_

On Sat, Nov 20, 2021 at 03:11 PM, David Mellor wrote:
I thought I read that only the paid version of VM player provides total network isolation
-
I'm not sure where VM player entered the conversation, but it's not what's being asked about.  A sandbox app/feature was built straight into Windows 10 in editions other than Home.  The article originally referenced from HowToGeek, How to Use Windows 10’s New Sandbox (to Safely Test Apps), made this absolutely clear.

--

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.

~ Harlan Ellison

Acrobat scan and Adobe acrobat - Accessibility of PC Desktop Apps as well as Mobile Versions

Ibrahim Ajayi

Helllo:
I want to find out if blind computer and mobile phone users can use
acrobat scan and adobe acrobat.
If we can, then how can thse apps and programsbe used wwi our screen readers.
Hope to get some responses.
Ibrahim.

David Mellor

I thought I read that only the paid version of VM player provides total network isolation for a guest which would provide for a sandbox. With the version available a few years ago I recall both paid and unpaid version had this ability.
Does anyone know if this is true please?
Best wishes,
David

Sent: 20 November 2021 19:38
To: chat@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [chat] Sandbox Feature of Windows

Last time I used a sand box was  back in my netsys op days.

Thats before vm was so popular.

Tim M

Last time I used a sand box was  back in my netsys op days.

Thats before vm was so popular.

On 11/19/2021 2:23 PM, Sean wrote:

A tiny typo.
He/she talking about Sandbox.

On 19/11/2021 19:25, Brian Vogel wrote:
You're going to have to offer additional information.  I can't even find anything in a web search on "senbox" that would seem to be anything that is connected to your question.

What, exactly, is "senbox," and how would any potential assistant take a look at it?
--

~ Harlan Ellison

Brian Tew

A rabit, a priest and a minister walk into a bar. Barkeep says, "What'll you have?"
Rabit says, "Nothing for me; I'm only here because of autocorrect."

Sean

A tiny typo.
He/she talking about Sandbox.

On 19/11/2021 19:25, Brian Vogel wrote:
You're going to have to offer additional information.  I can't even find anything in a web search on "senbox" that would seem to be anything that is connected to your question.

What, exactly, is "senbox," and how would any potential assistant take a look at it?
--

~ Harlan Ellison

Farhan,

Thanks for the clarification.  What you mean is the Windows Sandbox feature, and in this case the typo in your subject and original message was enough that I could not do the "instant self-correct" to come up with what you were referring to.

I don't use it, so can't answer, but I have retitled this topic so that it's abundantly clear what you're asking about and maybe someone who is using that feature with NVDA can chime in about doing so.

And, again, I thank you for asking this question in the Chat Subgroup.  You clearly realized that it is about Windows Sandbox that you happen to be using NVDA to access.
--

~ Harlan Ellison

farhan israk

It works like virtual machine. YOU can test software. Once you close it, whatever you have done everything will be deleted. Here is more information: https://www.howtogeek.com/399290/how-to-use-windows-10s-new-sandbox-to-safely-test-apps/

On Fri, 19 Nov 2021, 10:25 pm Brian Vogel, <britechguy@...> wrote:

--

~ Harlan Ellison

--

~ Harlan Ellison

Re: internet download manager alternatives

I have getright but its not been updated for ages now.

To be honest I don't really use it because of fibre I just don't seem to need it.

But then I don't download over 1gb files that much these days.

On 19/11/2021 5:09 am, farhan israk wrote:
What accessible internet download manager alternatives is available for windows?

ok for those that want it go

Hi.

Looks like windows 10 21h2 is finally deploying.

For those that want to try and to be honest there isn't any reason not to due to small number of changes, the update just deployed on my intel 4th gen and my ryzen 2nd gen and I am sure it will be on my other gen intel when I check on saturday.

Remember to deauthorise itunes and deactive/reactivate vocaliser eloquence and anything you think you need before updating.

Also note there is a new store version out.

The only real thing to note is you need to go to library to update your collection.

Otherwise the interface will take a bit to get used to.

Nothing really was changed or noticed to be changed but  there is that.

Before deployment came out there were driver updates for amd displays and intel displays and wireless devices but thats about it.

Nothing should stop people loading this update and its not even changing any real settings.

Its all there within a few seconds.

Re: auto capitalise in gmail and google doc

On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 02:07 PM, farhan israk wrote:
There is no such check box to turn on auto capitalise
-
Oh, yes there is, and it is a checkbox with precisely the phrasing noted in those instructions.  First option in the General tab of preferences, accessed precisely as described in the instructions.

In that very same Tools Menu, immediately beneath the Preferences option and the last item in the menu, is Accessibility Settings, and the very first Accessibility Setting is a checkbox for Turn on screen reader support, which, if activated, allows for the selection and deselection of Braille Support and Collaboration Support.  It may have other effects of which I am not aware, as I do not use Google Docs.

A web search on "Using google docs with a screen reader" turns up hundreds of documents on same, a very great many of the ones near the top of the results from Google, but there are others from third parties.  Something any screen reader user needs to do before using any unfamiliar software, and particularly something produced by Google or Microsoft, is to do a web search on, "Using {insert thing here} with a screen reader."  Both of these companies produce extensive documentation on how to use virtually any software they distribute in conjunction with a screen reader, and most of them "get to the guts" of any preliminary setup you may need to do to make use with a screen reader easier right up front.
--

~ Harlan Ellison

farhan israk

Thank you. I have checked preference of google doc. There is no such check box to turn on auto capitalise.

On Thu, 18 Nov 2021, 10:25 pm Brian Vogel, <britechguy@...> wrote:
Easily found with a basic web search"auto capitalize Google docs":

How to Stop Automatically Capitalizing Words in Google Docs
(if you want to turn it on, then simply check instead of uncheck)

and "auto captalize gmail," where all the returned items pretty much say this:

Gmail does not have auto-correct or even auto spell-check (only manual). While browsers have auto spell-check, they do not have auto-correct. So you’l need to find some browser extension or other utility to do that sort of auto-correction when composing messages.

Thank you for posting this question in the Chat Subgroup, as that's precisely where it belongs and sets a good example!

--

~ Harlan Ellison

farhan israk

Thank you.

On Thu, 18 Nov 2021, 11:01 pm Mert Anlar, <sonay-mert@...> wrote:

Greetings;
A few months ago i've discovered Internet Download Accelerator (ida), it's for free but it has pro version as well.
Below i'm posting the download link for free version, give it a try if you want:
http://download1.westbyte.com/ida/idasetup.exe
Regards.

18.11.2021 19:09 tarihinde farhan israk yazdı:
What accessible internet download manager alternatives is available for windows?

Mert Anlar

Greetings;
A few months ago i've discovered Internet Download Accelerator (ida), it's for free but it has pro version as well.
Below i'm posting the download link for free version, give it a try if you want:
http://download1.westbyte.com/ida/idasetup.exe
Regards.

18.11.2021 19:09 tarihinde farhan israk yazdı:

a serious case of inaccessibility in the cryptocurrency industry

Tyler Zahnke <programmer651@...>

Hello. Why do you think so many of the world's desktop cryptocurrency
wallets are inaccessible? The commonly available cryptocurrency
wallets, such as the Bitcoin Core wallet you can download from
bitcoincore.org, use this QT interface that doesn't let you Ctrl-Tab
around it; luckily to check your balance you can do a big read-all key
like NVDA+B, but as far as tabbing to the send or receive function,
it's impossible; luckily the help menu in many of these wallets has a
debug feature where you can type in commands to get your address, get
your balance, send coins, but as far as the actual graphical
interface, you can tab around the area you're currently on, but you
can't Ctrl+Tab to a different part of the window, though an NVDA+B
command clearly shows the window has multiple tabs. Why has this been
a problem for so long? In fact, I think every blind person and crypto
technology programmer should take a few hints from Palai, located at
palai.org. Yes, I know it's the website I complained about as far as
the "remember me" checkbox, but that's just one little thing; most of
the other checkboxes work, and sending, receiving and becoming part of
the coin generating process are all accessible, therefore giving Palai
a 95% accessibility rating on my scale (was 100% when that checkbox
actually worked as intended) but I think all accessibility advocates
who care about cryptocurrency should sign up for Palai (request
referral code from me if you want), but that crypto website got a 95%,
which is good compared to the 85% that most exchange websites have
(it's worse since you have to often take a live picture of your ID
with your phone; on sites where you can upload the picture as a
GIF/JPEG, those are 90% accessible), but these external storage
software wallets, at least on Windows, get more like a 30% rating; I
used to give them a 0 or 1% accessibility rating, but at least they
have that little command line debug where you can use the functions of
the wallet with commands instead of the graphical interface, so at
least I had mild success, but still, with the graphical interface not
being very navigable, that dragged the rating down so low. Now I bet
even the developers of Palai don't have experience with the blind, but
their site is so good that, at times, you think they do; only some of
the more recent changes like the remember me checkbox make you
question the accessibility, but besides that everything on palai.org
is unbelievably accessible. And as far as I know, there hasn't been a
special crypto app just for blind people, and I've actually had people
at conventions say "whatever" to me; remember, these are accessibility
advocates I was talking to, but because I was talking about crypto,
they said crypto was too weird/strange/foreign to them so they said
they don't care about accessibility issues in that weird industry.
People talk about it more and more all the time, why are accessibility
advocates ignoring us? Because they think it's an insignificant
technology radar blip? It's big news these days, I'm tellin' ya. I
know this coin isn't on the market yet, but due to both its blind
accessibility and the fact that it's designed for global economic
accessibility, even in countries with a large unbanked population, I
hope you sign up for palai.org and claim your free dividend; I've
already seen classifieds sites and music sites and even German job
searches taking this particular currency as payment, so all you
accessibility advocates who care about digital assets, please check
this out. But Palai isn't the main focus of this email, it's just an
accessible way to get a nice free piece of a digital asset, and a site
where 95% of features are accessible with screen readers. The focus of
the email is, why does it feel like there's no website or desktop
application that's truly accessible for regular cryptocurrencies such
as Bitcoin? The closest we have is the Bitcoin savings account and
betting game freebitco.in, but as far as sites for buying coins, due
to the government ID scanning and such, doesn't this lower the
accessibility a bit? Once you get the Bitcoins, I'm guessing
freebitco.in is your most accessible storage place, but still, it's a
web wallet; those who want to store privately have to use those
30%-accessible QT GUI wallets. The world's biggest exchange, Coinbase,
would get the closest to an 85% accessibility rating I've ever given,
but again, that's still a public site; freebitco.in gets a 99% rating
but it's not an exchange site, so perhaps buying on Coinbase and
transfering to Freebitco would be the best way for a blind person to
handle their bitcoins, but still due to exchange laws, that showing of
ID on Coinbase can be tough. Luckily I keep around a picture of my ID;
that got me into a few sites, it's a picture of the front of my ID,
but Coinbase is stricter, they need both front and back; not even sure
how that works, if you would need to upload two separate images or
what.

Easily found with a basic web search"auto capitalize Google docs":

How to Stop Automatically Capitalizing Words in Google Docs
(if you want to turn it on, then simply check instead of uncheck)

and "auto captalize gmail," where all the returned items pretty much say this:

Gmail does not have auto-correct or even auto spell-check (only manual). While browsers have auto spell-check, they do not have auto-correct. So you’l need to find some browser extension or other utility to do that sort of auto-correction when composing messages.

Thank you for posting this question in the Chat Subgroup, as that's precisely where it belongs and sets a good example!

--

~ Harlan Ellison

Sandbox Feature of Windows

farhan israk

I use Windows 10 21h2 and nvda 2021.2. How can I use windows senbox with screen reader? If I open it, the screen reader does not announce anything. I cannot even close it with a screen reader.

Re: windows 10 21h2 deployment

On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 02:51 AM, Shaun Everiss wrote:

Brian I suspect because there have been times where microsoft just chucked out there.

Obviously after the 18.09 update they really got shot in the foot over that one.

-
There has never been a feature update, not even during the fully automatic update acceptance era, that was literally "just chucked out there."  The basic cohort by cohort rollout procedure has been in place since day one.  What did change, and it was significant, was the removal of the fully automatic update acceptance.  Feature Updates now apply only under one of two circumstances:

1.  The user of the computer activates the Download and install link in the Windows Update pane to accept it.

2.  The computer comes within 60 days of the end of life of whatever version happens to be running on it.  Under that circumstance alone Windows Update will seek out and automatically install whatever the current version happens to be so that the machine continues using a version that's under support.  I actually only know of one person where this has happened, and he "rigged" the situation by not touching an old computer he really didn't use just to see exactly what would happen if he ran out the clock on the version of Windows 10 that was running.

No one's saying, least of all me, that Microsoft has not had some catastrophic mistakes, but those are not relevant to knowing how the basic feature update rollout process works, and has worked for years.  At this point in time, there are very few people who have not been using Windows 10 for a couple of years now, at a minimum.  I get why very late adopters would not understand the process, but the questions of the form, "How is this going to work?," with regard to feature updates often come from the same people each and every feature update cycle.  How it works hasn't changed.  And what's worse is that the question could be answered with an archive search or a web search.  The basic process has been discussed to death.
--

~ Harlan Ellison

1741 - 1760 of 5528