Date   

can't get t-bird to reply to an individual, rather than a listserv

Mary Otten

Hi all,

Using latest NVDA public release and latest t-bird with the add on enhancements, I have never been able to get the reply to all function to offer me any more than the listserv address. Thus, if somebody sends a message to a list, and I wish to reply privately to that individual, I expect reply all to give me 2 addresses, and then I would delete the list address. I've also tried just reply, but of course, that goes to the list as well. This is on multiple groups.io lists. Any ideas? Probably something simple I'm overlooking.

mary

Re: Looking for Cane Recommendations

Mária Orovčíková

Hello,
I am from Slovakia, and we use canes by Svarovsky here. They are in Czech.
I have  two canes (orientation cane and signalling cane) from them and I think they are light and durable.
This is the website and contact details:
https://www.svarovsky.cz/en/
billing address: Odlehla 26 | 621 00 Brno | Czech Republic
mailing address: Florianova 473/6 | 612 00 Brno | Czech Republic
+420 541 237 365
e-mail: info@...

I am not sure if they ship to the U.S.
If you need more help, just let me know.
Maria

Dňa 12. 6. 2022 o 3:01 Nimer Jaber napísal(a):

Hello,

I've recently retired my guide, and am back to being a cane user. I'm on the hunt for canes, and I'm hoping that, by reaching out to a more international group such as is found here, I might get some responses beyond the typical responses that I receive from a U.S. group.

I'm looking for a cane. This cane should be light. As light as possible, while also being durable. This cane should be easily foldable, collapsable, etc. in some way, but can not be telescoping unless there is a way to lock the joints from telescoping at inopportune moments, and most telescoping canes collapse too easily. This cane also should have tips that make lots of auditory noise, as I do rely quite a bit on echo location. I don't want rolling tips, rolling ball tips, or most commonly used tips. I appreciate something small and nimble, like a ceramic tip or something like that. The metal glide tips are okay, but seem to fall off or break too easily, so I end up going through quite a lot of them.

A few more things:
* I don't want recommendations for an ambutech cane. Ambutech canes are garbage, most are too heavy, and the lighter ones are trash. Ever since they redesigned the joints, they are worthless, especially in colder environments. They are heavier than most other canes on the market. I do, however, like their ceramic tips.
* Revolutions canes are okay, but the tips are more difficult to replace, and short of using a flimsy adaptor, they do not have ceramic tips... the closest I get to a tip that makes some meaningful noise is their metal glide tips, but those detach and break easily.
* NFB folding canes and telescoping ones are flimsy.
* Chris Park folding canes only support metal glide tips, not ceramic tips, and are quite flimsy as well, with tips falling off easily.

So, if you are aware of any other type of tip or cane, particularly those of you outside of the U.S. that would meet my requirements, please let me know.

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

Check out and subscribe to BlindTechAdventures <https://www.youtube.com/blindtechadventures> in podcast audio form on YouTube for the latest happenings in tech.

You can follow @nimerjaber on Twitter <https://www.twitter.com/nimerjaber> for the latest technology news.

Thank you, and have a great day!

Sascha Cowley

Here in Australia, the standard issue cane manufacturer is Bevria. Their aluminium canes are fairly durable, though will inevitably get bent. My experience with their lightweight carbon fibre canes has unfortunately not been positive, with both of them I've had failing in the same way (the joints collapse into the shaft of the cane). I do see on their website that they have two types of lightweight cane, but I do not know which type I have had experience with.
The tips attach through friction fit, but in my 20-or-so years using them I've only had a tip come off accidentally a couple of times.

Dan Beaver

I do not know who manufactures the cane.  I have the 54 inch cane but I am not very tall. :)

The ILA site doesn't give the manufacturer name, my sighted wife even looked for it.  the cane doesn't even have it on the cane itself.

Maybe you could ask ILA if they know who manufactures it.

Sorry I can't be of greater help.

Dan Beaver

Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)
On 6/12/2022 3:14 PM, Nimer Jaber wrote:

I'm looking for a 58" and it seems like the link you sent is a 54. The only option other than the 54 is a 50. Does this cane go taller than 54"? Who manufactures this cane? Maybe they have different options?

Thank you for your help.

On Sun, Jun 12, 2022 at 11:23 AM Dan Beaver <dbeaver888@...> wrote:

Hi,

Here is a link to the cane that I just realized my wife had sent me.

https://independentliving.com/9-section-telescoping-cane-54/

Dan Beaver

Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)
On 6/12/2022 9:21 AM, Nimer Jaber wrote:
Hello,

Sure. Please provide the cane info.

Thanks.

On Sun, Jun 12, 2022 at 4:53 AM Dan Beaver <dbeaver888@...> wrote:

How critical is the weight factor?  I purchased a cane a few months ago that I have come to like very much.  It is a little heavier than my previous canes though.  If the weight isn't too critical I can send the info on where i got it.  It is a telescoping cane which locks each section when it is extended.  All you have to do to collapse it is to press the button in at the bottom of the top/handle section and each section will unlock as the cane collapses.  It does have a metal tip but if I recall it can come with a ceramic tip instead.

Let me know if you are interested in the additional info.

Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)
On 6/11/2022 9:01 PM, Nimer Jaber wrote:
Hello,

I've recently retired my guide, and am back to being a cane user. I'm on the hunt for canes, and I'm hoping that, by reaching out to a more international group such as is found here, I might get some responses beyond the typical responses that I receive from a U.S. group.

I'm looking for a cane. This cane should be light. As light as possible, while also being durable. This cane should be easily foldable, collapsable, etc. in some way, but can not be telescoping unless there is a way to lock the joints from telescoping at inopportune moments, and most telescoping canes collapse too easily. This cane also should have tips that make lots of auditory noise, as I do rely quite a bit on echo location. I don't want rolling tips, rolling ball tips, or most commonly used tips. I appreciate something small and nimble, like a ceramic tip or something like that. The metal glide tips are okay, but seem to fall off or break too easily, so I end up going through quite a lot of them.

A few more things:
* I don't want recommendations for an ambutech cane. Ambutech canes are garbage, most are too heavy, and the lighter ones are trash. Ever since they redesigned the joints, they are worthless, especially in colder environments. They are heavier than most other canes on the market. I do, however, like their ceramic tips.
* Revolutions canes are okay, but the tips are more difficult to replace, and short of using a flimsy adaptor, they do not have ceramic tips... the closest I get to a tip that makes some meaningful noise is their metal glide tips, but those detach and break easily.
* Chris Park folding canes only support metal glide tips, not ceramic tips, and are quite flimsy as well, with tips falling off easily.

So, if you are aware of any other type of tip or cane, particularly those of you outside of the U.S. that would meet my requirements, please let me know.

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

Check out and subscribe to BlindTechAdventures in podcast audio form on YouTube for the latest happenings in tech.

You can follow @nimerjaber on Twitter for the latest technology news.

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

Check out and subscribe to BlindTechAdventures in podcast audio form on YouTube for the latest happenings in tech.

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

Nimer Jaber

I'm looking for a 58" and it seems like the link you sent is a 54. The only option other than the 54 is a 50. Does this cane go taller than 54"? Who manufactures this cane? Maybe they have different options?

Thank you for your help.

On Sun, Jun 12, 2022 at 11:23 AM Dan Beaver <dbeaver888@...> wrote:

Hi,

Dan Beaver

Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)
Hello,

Thanks.

How critical is the weight factor?  I purchased a cane a few months ago that I have come to like very much.  It is a little heavier than my previous canes though.  If the weight isn't too critical I can send the info on where i got it.  It is a telescoping cane which locks each section when it is extended.  All you have to do to collapse it is to press the button in at the bottom of the top/handle section and each section will unlock as the cane collapses.  It does have a metal tip but if I recall it can come with a ceramic tip instead.

Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)
Hello,

A few more things:

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

Dan Beaver

Hi,

Dan Beaver

Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Hello,

Thanks.

Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)
Hello,

A few more things:

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

Dan Beaver

Ok,

the cane I got is by way of Independent Living Aids.  It is called a 9 segment telescoping cane there.  My wife looked at it too and that is all they call it.  They have one that is an eight segment cane also for shorter persons.  Not knowing you personally I do not know how tall of a cane you might need.

I forgot to mention that the segments can be extended to accommodate different heights of the user.  I really like how sturdy it is.

Dan beaver

Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Hello,

Thanks.

Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)
Hello,

A few more things:

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

Nimer Jaber

Hello,

Thanks.

Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)
Hello,

A few more things:

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

Re: pdf issue in thunderbird

Brian's Mail list account

Yes, it also has a nice read aloud voice and better inflection.
Tables are always an issue for me, I have to say. I don't think my brain is good at visualising them very well. I have similar issues with spreadsheets.
You should see what accessible pdf reader does to tables if you want a laugh, but its even faster if you don't want to fill out forms have tagged columns or tables.
Brian

--
bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.(Virgin media)
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <chat@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, June 10, 2022 11:45 AM
Subject: Re: [chat] pdf issue in thunderbird

Edge doesn't retain tables. I like it for reading straight text but for
reading documents with tables or filling out forms, it is not a good
idea to use.

Perhaps because it doesn't retain table formatting and doesn't handle
things like being able to fill out fillable PDF forms, it loads
documents much faster, which matters if they are long documents. But
for general reading, I use Edge.

Gene

On 6/10/2022 2:40 AM, Brian's Mail list account via groups.io wrote:
I often find that the Edge version of the pdf reader tends to work
better with nvda than the native Adobe one. The problem, often with
adobe is that some lines read like they have no spaces between words,
whereas this is not the case with Edge on the same files. Very strange!

Brian

Re: Reply links don't work properly in Groups.io messages when using an e-mail program

There are some odd things that can go on with links in email messages in different clients. I've seen things like them trying to open the incorrect browser, like I E and then that reporting the syntax is wrong, to the blank email you mention. I think it has something to do with Windows, but trying to sus exactly why it might work one time and not another is beyond me. Often a computer restart fixes the problem.
Brian

--
bglists@...

Sent: Friday, June 10, 2022 1:32 AM
Subject: Re: [chat] Reply links don't work properly in Groups.io messages when using an e-mail program

Gene wrote:

I just tried using the reply to sender link in two messages, each from a different group. In both instances, using Thunderbird, though an old version, a
blank message opens in the browser but there is no address nor is there a subject.
I do not have this problem with reply to sender links. Although probably 70% of
the time you can use the mail program's reply to sender feature, and will get a
valid address, so I rarely use the footer links.

Luke

Dan Beaver

Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Hello,

A few more things:

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

Looking for Cane Recommendations

Nimer Jaber

Hello,

A few more things:

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

PDF and EPUB reader syncs between windows and android

farhan israk

Hello everyone,
Is any free accessible PDF and EPUB reader available which allows us to sync page number, progress and bookmarks between windows and android?

Mary Otten

Thanks, Gene. That worked to change the setting in preferences. Adobe sees the table as such, which makes all the difference in the world.

Mary

On 6/9/2022 9:07 PM, Gene wrote:
A google search has this as a web snippet under people also ask:
How do I change my default PDF viewer in Thunderbird?
You can set the default viewer for pdf attachments in Thunderbird in the preferences under "Attachments → Incoming".

If you need help getting to the right polace to make the change ask and I or someone will write instructions.

Gene

On 6/9/2022 10:12 PM, Mary Otten wrote:
I use thunderbird as my email client. I have acrobat dc set as my default for opening pdf files. When I get an email with a pdf attachment, and i open the attachment, it insists on opening in thunderbird's method of reading pdf files, which does not include any sort of markup, such as for tables. So you can't use NVDA table reading to make sense of what is clearly a table. What I want is for the file to open in acrobat reader when I click on it in T-bird, and since I have that set as my default, it seems to me this should happen, but it does not. Any help out there?

Mary

Gene

Edge doesn't retain tables.  I like it for reading straight text but for reading documents with tables or filling out forms, it is not a good idea to use. 

Perhaps because it doesn't retain table formatting and doesn't handle things like being able to fill out fillable PDF forms, it loads documents much faster, which matters if they are long documents.  But for general reading, I use Edge.

Gene

On 6/10/2022 2:40 AM, Brian's Mail list account via groups.io wrote:
I often find that the Edge version of the pdf reader tends to work better with nvda than the native Adobe one. The problem, often with adobe is that some lines read like they have no spaces between words, whereas this is not the case with Edge on the  same files. Very strange!

Brian

I often find that the Edge version of the pdf reader tends to work better with nvda than the native Adobe one. The problem, often with adobe is that some lines read like they have no spaces between words, whereas this is not the case with Edge on the same files. Very strange!

Brian

--
bglists@...

Sent: Friday, June 10, 2022 5:07 AM
Subject: Re: [chat] pdf issue in thunderbird

You can set the default viewer for pdf attachments in Thunderbird in the
preferences under "Attachments → Incoming".

If you need help getting to the right polace to make the change ask and
I or someone will write instructions.

Gene

I use thunderbird as my email client. I have acrobat dc set as my
default for opening pdf files. When I get an email with a pdf
attachment, and i open the attachment, it insists on opening in
thunderbird's method of reading pdf files, which does not include any
sort of markup, such as for tables. So you can't use NVDA table
reading to make sense of what is clearly a table. What I want is for
the file to open in acrobat reader when I click on it in T-bird, and
since I have that set as my default, it seems to me this should
happen, but it does not. Any help out there?

Mary

Gene

You can set the default viewer for pdf attachments in Thunderbird in the preferences under "Attachments → Incoming".

If you need help getting to the right polace to make the change ask and I or someone will write instructions.

Gene

I use thunderbird as my email client. I have acrobat dc set as my default for opening pdf files. When I get an email with a pdf attachment, and i open the attachment, it insists on opening in thunderbird's method of reading pdf files, which does not include any sort of markup, such as for tables. So you can't use NVDA table reading to make sense of what is clearly a table. What I want is for the file to open in acrobat reader when I click on it in T-bird, and since I have that set as my default, it seems to me this should happen, but it does not. Any help out there?

Mary

pdf issue in thunderbird

Mary Otten

Mary

Re: Reply links don't work properly in Groups.io messages when using an e-mail program

Gene

I remember that And I keep it in mind.  Its very minor but its probably an example.  I'll try the current portable version to see if what happens is different but I don't think it will be.

I got curious about this because I was going to tell a person on another list about the reply to sender links in Groups.io messages but I didn't know why they didn't work when I tried them.  I now know that I can tell people to use them if an occasion comes up.

Gene

On 6/9/2022 7:19 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Gene,

It could be the version, perhaps there was a bug that's been fixed.

It could be that the installed version uses certain dynamic link libraries (dlls) that are part of Windows that the portable version doesn't have access to.

I really can't say precisely what it is.  But this is an instance of something I've said, and not just about Thunderbird:  there are times when the portable version of a program will behave differently than an installed version of the same program.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044

The psychology of adultery has been falsified by conventional morals, which assume, in monogamous countries, that attraction to one person cannot co-exist with a serious affection for another.  Everybody knows that this is untrue. . .

~Bertrand Russell

Luke Davis

Gene wrote:

I just tried using the reply to sender link in two messages, each from a different group.  In both instances, using Thunderbird, though an old version, a
blank message opens in the browser but there is no address nor is there a subject. 
I do not have this problem with reply to sender links. Although probably 70% of the time you can use the mail program's reply to sender feature, and will get a valid address, so I rarely use the footer links.

Luke

621 - 640 of 5815