Date   

Re: Excess Thunderbird verbosity returns

Gene

I wasn’t sure.  I don’t know what other screen-readers do.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2022 11:30 AM
Subject: Re: [chat] Excess Thunderbird verbosity returns

And if you do re-post to the main group, which would be fine, I'd drop the Thunderbird reference in the topic title.  Your topic is only about Thunderbird in that you use it as an example.  Your issue lies with NVDA's behavior, or at least that seems to be where it lies.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.

~ Mark Twain

Gene

That’s right.  I was thinking about not sending it there and I did it backwards.  I’ll leave it here and see what comments I get.

Gene

Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2022 11:29 AM
Subject: Re: [chat] Excess Thunderbird verbosity returns

On Thu, Jan 6, 2022 at 11:03 AM, Gene wrote:
If this were just a problem concerning Thunderbird, I would have sent this message to the chat list.
-
You did send the message to the Chat Subgroup.

--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044

~ Mark Twain

And if you do re-post to the main group, which would be fine, I'd drop the Thunderbird reference in the topic title.  Your topic is only about Thunderbird in that you use it as an example.  Your issue lies with NVDA's behavior, or at least that seems to be where it lies.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044

~ Mark Twain

On Thu, Jan 6, 2022 at 11:03 AM, Gene wrote:
If this were just a problem concerning Thunderbird, I would have sent this message to the chat list. 
-
You did send the message to the Chat Subgroup.

--

~ Mark Twain

Excess Thunderbird verbosity returns

Gene

If this were just a problem concerning Thunderbird, I would have sent this message to the chat list.  But aside from the Thunderbird problem, I think NVDA should have the ability to stop this sort of verbosity, wherever it comes from. 

I would like my observations about Thunderbird behavior with NVDA since the latest version to be confirmed or disconfirmed by others.

It should be made abundantly clear to Thunderbird developers that the excess verbosity they are once again imposing is not desirable nor necessary.  And this time, it is being done in a different way.  When the status bar is not shown, the verbosity remains.  When a message opens, if there is time before NVDA starts reading it, the word done is spoken.  yesterday, when I was using a new copy of Thunderbird portable, being a new copy using IMAP and downloading a lot of mail from the GMail server, my use of the program was constantly interrupted with announcements of how many messages were being downloaded.  The verbosity doesn’t seem to be as intrusive or occur as often as before but there is a recurring problem among developers that needs to be dealt with. 

NVDA appears to be improperly vulnerable to excess verbosity, improperly imposed by program designers and web site designers.  As far as I know, there is still no stop Aria (spelling) setting.  I have no idea how the status line speech was forced in NVDA nor now what is forcing speech.  I would suggest NVDA developers find out and either make default settings or user definable settings to control such speech.  I’m not saying whether they should be default or user definable.  I am not presuming which should be done.  But there needs to be a way to stop unnecessary and unwanted verbosity imposed by developers.

Gene

Hey!

Armando Vias <armando@...>

Hey. How is everyone doing? Hope you’re doing well. If you’d like to chat, feel free to email me.

This email from Armando Vias was sent from the armandovias.com email system. Feel free to use the information below to get in touch with Armando Vias.
Direct Email: armando@...
Webmaster Email: webmaster@...
Visit Armando Vias On The Web: https://armandovias.com
Connect With Armando Vias: https://armandovias.com/connect
Contact Form: https://armandovias.com/contact

Re: What’s the easiest way to make The window in which the navigator object is currently focused fullscreen, and then take a screenshot of it

Gene,

While you are absolutely correct about "the unknowns," having done this for as long as I have the two options generally asked for are either a full-screen or window-only screenshot.  A window-only screenshot does include the window frame, but I've almost never known of anyone who cares about that.

I am willing to make suggestions based on what I've had people ask for way more times than I can recall.  If they want something else after hearing the options I've given, it's up to them to clarify.

There are absolutely times when reasonable assumptions can, and should, be made.  This would be one of them.
--

~ Mark Twain

Re: What’s the easiest way to make The window in which the navigator object is currently focused fullscreen, and then take a screenshot of it

Gene

It seems the person only wants a document to be shown, no menus or ribbons nor anything else.  I am not presuming, however.  That is my guess but we don’t know. 

Full screen is that, the document takes up the entire screen, no menus nor anything else are displayed.  If you maximize a window, whatever else the program displays will be displayed. 

I don’t know if what Brian is suggesting will do what is desired.  If all the person wants to do is show a document, will the screen-shot show just that, or, unless a full screen option is available in the program, will other content such as menus be in the picture?

And the original message didn’t specify if that is what is wanted, nothing but a document.  We can guess but we don’t know.

Gene

Sent: Monday, January 03, 2022 2:37 PM
Subject: Re: [chat] What’s the easiest way to make The window in which the navigator object is currently focused fullscreen, and then take a screenshot of it

That is true, Gene ... full screen and maximized are not the same if
the application window can't be made to fill the screen. Maximized
will, however, make the window as large as it can go. Having maximized
the window you can then use the Alt+Print Screen to take a screen shot
of just the active window. I don't think it is necessary to know which
program is being captured in the screenshot.

Giles

On 1/3/22, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> Full screen isn’t the same as maximize.  A lot of programs don’t have full
> screen as a display option.  We don’t know what program is being asked
> about.  I won’t answer the question about how to take a full screen shot but
> if that is a good way to do what you want, we need to know the program.
>
> Gene
> -----Original Message-----
>> I have a laptop and I want to make the current window the navigator
>> object
>> is in fullscreen, and then take a screenshot.
>> I know that you can press F11 to go into full screen mode, but NVDA
>> doesn’t
>> give any audio feedback and anyway, it doesn’t always seem to work.
>> I can also press windows and print screen together to get a screenshot,
>> but
>> again there is no audio feedback from NVDA or hear  any sounds on the
>> windows desktop, although I know where the eventual images are stored, in
>> the screenshots folder.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Giles Turnbull

That is true, Gene ... full screen and maximized are not the same if
the application window can't be made to fill the screen. Maximized
will, however, make the window as large as it can go. Having maximized
the window you can then use the Alt+Print Screen to take a screen shot
of just the active window. I don't think it is necessary to know which
program is being captured in the screenshot.

Giles

On 1/3/22, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
Full screen isn’t the same as maximize. A lot of programs don’t have full
screen as a display option. We don’t know what program is being asked
about. I won’t answer the question about how to take a full screen shot but
if that is a good way to do what you want, we need to know the program.

Gene
I have a laptop and I want to make the current window the navigator
object
is in fullscreen, and then take a screenshot.
I know that you can press F11 to go into full screen mode, but NVDA
doesn’t
give any audio feedback and anyway, it doesn’t always seem to work.
I can also press windows and print screen together to get a screenshot,
but
again there is no audio feedback from NVDA or hear any sounds on the
windows desktop, although I know where the eventual images are stored, in
the screenshots folder.

Khalid,

What I'm about to present is an alternate approach to what I suspect you're trying to accomplish, which I am presuming is making sure that what you capture shows only the exact window that you want it to, and not your desktop, taskbar, etc.

So what I'm going to suggest is "the old school" method of taking screenshots, which still works under Windows 10 (and I'd have to presume 11).

If you want an actual screen shot, and by that I mean the entire screen, including taskbar, if you hit the PrtSc button that image is saved to the clipboard.

If you want a "window shot," that is you want to include only the window upon which you have focus, then hit ALT + PrtSc.  This captures only the window with focus on the clipboard.

You then have to open whatever image processing program you are comfortable with, I generally use Paint, then Paste and Save.   Works every time and you can get precisely what you want to have the other person see, and nothing more.
--

~ Mark Twain

Gene

Full screen isn’t the same as maximize.  A lot of programs don’t have full screen as a display option.  We don’t know what program is being asked about.  I won’t answer the question about how to take a full screen shot but if that is a good way to do what you want, we need to know the program.

Gene

> I have a laptop and I want to make the current window the navigator object
> is in fullscreen, and then take a screenshot.
> I know that you can press F11 to go into full screen mode, but NVDA doesn’t
> give any audio feedback and anyway, it doesn’t always seem to work.
> I can also press windows and print screen together to get a screenshot, but
> again there is no audio feedback from NVDA or hear  any sounds on the
> windows desktop, although I know where the eventual images are stored, in
> the screenshots folder.
>
>
>
>
>
>

Giles Turnbull

When I want to maximize a window for taking a screenshot, I press
Alt+space and then arrow down through the window size options until I
get to Maximize. NVDA speaks each option and, although it doesn't
speak a confirmation, you can press Alt+space again and arrow through
the options to check that the Maximize option is unavailable (meaning
it is selected).

Giles

On 1/3/22, Khalid Anwar <anwarkhalid850@...> wrote:
I have a laptop and I want to make the current window the navigator object
is in fullscreen, and then take a screenshot.
I know that you can press F11 to go into full screen mode, but NVDA doesn’t
give any audio feedback and anyway, it doesn’t always seem to work.
I can also press windows and print screen together to get a screenshot, but
again there is no audio feedback from NVDA or hear  any sounds on the
windows desktop, although I know where the eventual images are stored, in
the screenshots folder.

What’s the easiest way to make The window in which the navigator object is currently focused fullscreen, and then take a screenshot of it

Khalid Anwar

I have a laptop and I want to make the current window the navigator object is in fullscreen, and then take a screenshot.
I know that you can press F11 to go into full screen mode, but NVDA doesn’t give any audio feedback and anyway, it doesn’t always seem to work.
I can also press windows and print screen together to get a screenshot, but again there is no audio feedback from NVDA or hear  any sounds on the windows desktop, although I know where the eventual images are stored, in the screenshots folder.

Re: Original reason Windows can be used from the keyboard

Chris Mullins

Hi Dave

I was just referring to keys mentioned in Brian’s message, not trying to make an exhaustive list of keys carried over from the typewriter.  Essentially, any functions of a typewriter demed necessary in the production of documents was incorporated in the computer keyboard.  The slash and colon are on a typewriter because they are commonly used symbols/punctuation characters, they are not special keys like shift and Capslock. 

Cheers

Chris

Sent from Mail for Windows

Sent: 03 January 2022 14:19
To: chat@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [chat] Original reason Windows can be used from the keyboard

Good Morning:  You forgot a few other keys.  The backspace and slash as well as the colon and backspace come from the typewriter keyboard. The shift key for use with the shift + tab was on the old typewriter keyboards.

Dave

On 12/27/2021 2:39 PM, Chris Mullins wrote:

Hi

Tab, space and enter are straight from the forerunner of the computer keyboard, the typewriter.

The typewriter used to have tab stops, which allowed the typewriter carriage to be positioned at various points on a page for indentation purposes and the entry of columnized data, the spacebar is a straight forward copy of the typewriter spacebar and the enter key is derived from the mechanical lever used to return  the carriage to the beginning of the line and move the paper up.  This is the source of the “Carriage return line feed” escape sequence used in DOS and it is still used today.

Cheers

Chris

Sent: 27 December 2021 14:23

Hi:  I apologize for being late on this subject.  I'm not an expert here.  However, the alt key was used in commands before windows.  Apple I believe started working on accessible machines before Micro Soft.  However, there are many ways accessibility was being worked upon back in the beginning of the computer age.  We had a blind person that made a tool to put a stylus into to tell which number of punched in a punched card to tell which character had been punched fior a blind person to read it for coding a program.  Then there mwas a program to braille off the big old chain or track driven printers, that brailled 11 lines on one of those large pieces of paper.  It took 11printed lines for one line of braille.  This program was produced in 1970.

Dave

On 12/19/2021 5:32 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Sun, Dec 19, 2021 at 05:21 PM, David Mellor wrote:

AT what point did the use of basic (not exactly short cut keys) like tab/space/enter enter the picture?

-
I honestly can't answer that other than to say they have been a part of Windows since day one.

In the DOS days I did almost everything via the command line, and other than entering the Enter or Return (that key was, and still is, labeled both ways) to execute something.  I do not recall ever having used tab for navigation or space for "activate/click" as is often done under Windows.

We need another very early adopter of accessibility technology to speak here.  Were my friend Phyllis still with us, I'd ask her, because she started playing with computers and all accessibility software, and devices, almost since the first day one appeared.  She used to hate it on the rare, very rare, occasions she'd need to call on me when something was either actually inaccessible (which was more usual) or required such gyrations to figure out how to access it without any assistance that it made no sense to do so when time was of the essence.  She was entirely sensible about how much time to dedicate to a thorny accessibility issue that she knew full well might take days of frustration to figure out entirely independently rather than calling upon any one of many sighted friends who might, in a flash, be able to alert her to something that the screen reader "couldn't see" at the same time it was dealing with something else.

--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043

~ Mark Twain

Re: Original reason Windows can be used from the keyboard

Dave Grossoehme

Good Morning:  You forgot a few other keys.  The backspace and slash as well as the colon and backspace come from the typewriter keyboard. The shift key for use with the shift + tab was on the old typewriter keyboards.

Dave

On 12/27/2021 2:39 PM, Chris Mullins wrote:

Hi

Tab, space and enter are straight from the forerunner of the computer keyboard, the typewriter.

The typewriter used to have tab stops, which allowed the typewriter carriage to be positioned at various points on a page for indentation purposes and the entry of columnized data, the spacebar is a straight forward copy of the typewriter spacebar and the enter key is derived from the mechanical lever used to return  the carriage to the beginning of the line and move the paper up.  This is the source of the “Carriage return line feed” escape sequence used in DOS and it is still used today.

Cheers

Chris

Sent: 27 December 2021 14:23

Hi:  I apologize for being late on this subject.  I'm not an expert here.  However, the alt key was used in commands before windows.  Apple I believe started working on accessible machines before Micro Soft.  However, there are many ways accessibility was being worked upon back in the beginning of the computer age.  We had a blind person that made a tool to put a stylus into to tell which number of punched in a punched card to tell which character had been punched fior a blind person to read it for coding a program.  Then there mwas a program to braille off the big old chain or track driven printers, that brailled 11 lines on one of those large pieces of paper.  It took 11printed lines for one line of braille.  This program was produced in 1970.

Dave

On 12/19/2021 5:32 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Sun, Dec 19, 2021 at 05:21 PM, David Mellor wrote:

AT what point did the use of basic (not exactly short cut keys) like tab/space/enter enter the picture?

-
I honestly can't answer that other than to say they have been a part of Windows since day one.

In the DOS days I did almost everything via the command line, and other than entering the Enter or Return (that key was, and still is, labeled both ways) to execute something.  I do not recall ever having used tab for navigation or space for "activate/click" as is often done under Windows.

We need another very early adopter of accessibility technology to speak here.  Were my friend Phyllis still with us, I'd ask her, because she started playing with computers and all accessibility software, and devices, almost since the first day one appeared.  She used to hate it on the rare, very rare, occasions she'd need to call on me when something was either actually inaccessible (which was more usual) or required such gyrations to figure out how to access it without any assistance that it made no sense to do so when time was of the essence.  She was entirely sensible about how much time to dedicate to a thorny accessibility issue that she knew full well might take days of frustration to figure out entirely independently rather than calling upon any one of many sighted friends who might, in a flash, be able to alert her to something that the screen reader "couldn't see" at the same time it was dealing with something else.

--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043

~ Mark Twain

Re: Excessive crashing in recent versions of Firefox

Gene

I hadn’t looked there. 

Gene

Sent: Sunday, January 02, 2022 6:30 AM
Subject: Re: [chat] Excessive crashing in recent versions of Firefox

You find it in the about dialog under the help menu, whats new

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/95.0.2/releasenotes/

other release version notes:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/releases/

Sent: 02 January 2022 11:35

Thanks.  That’s the version I’m using now.  We’ll see what happens when it updates again.

I’m curious how you found that information.  I did a Google search but I didn’t find anything.  I seem to vaguely recall that there is a page that lists this sort of thing about Firefox.  Is there such a page and did you find it there?

Gene

Sent: Sunday, January 02, 2022 5:24 AM

I dont know if this will fix your issue but firefox 95.0.2 fixes frequent crashes in windows 7 and 8, so if you haven’t already done so, update to firefox 95.0.2 hopefully that may fix your issue

Sent: 01 January 2022 22:26

Windows 7, an Intel processor and Firefox 64 bit.  I didn’t give that kind of information because I was first inquiring to see if others have the problem in the first place.  But if people give such information if they are having the problem, it may help determine if there is a pattern.

Gene

-----Original message-----

Sent: Saturday, January 01, 2022 4:13 PM

Without any information at all its difficult to say what is going on

Maybe if you told us the version of windows, Firefox, 32 or 64 bit and if its a amd processor or not

Sent: 01 January 2022 21:42
Subject: [chat] Excessive crashing in recent versions of Firefox

I’ve had a lot of crashes in recent versions of Firefox.  Have others had the same problem?  Does the problem persist when using other screen-readers than NVDA?

Thanks for information.

Gene

Chris

You find it in the about dialog under the help menu, whats new

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/95.0.2/releasenotes/

other release version notes:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/releases/

Sent: 02 January 2022 11:35

Thanks.  That’s the version I’m using now.  We’ll see what happens when it updates again.

I’m curious how you found that information.  I did a Google search but I didn’t find anything.  I seem to vaguely recall that there is a page that lists this sort of thing about Firefox.  Is there such a page and did you find it there?

Gene

I dont know if this will fix your issue but firefox 95.0.2 fixes frequent crashes in windows 7 and 8, so if you haven’t already done so, update to firefox 95.0.2 hopefully that may fix your issue

Windows 7, an Intel processor and Firefox 64 bit.  I didn’t give that kind of information because I was first inquiring to see if others have the problem in the first place.  But if people give such information if they are having the problem, it may help determine if there is a pattern.

Gene

Maybe if you told us the version of windows, Firefox, 32 or 64 bit and if its a amd processor or not

I’ve had a lot of crashes in recent versions of Firefox.  Have others had the same problem?  Does the problem persist when using other screen-readers than NVDA?

Thanks for information.

Gene

Gene

Gene

Gene

Thanks for information.

Gene

Chris

Gene

Thanks for information.

Gene

Gene

Gene

Thanks for information.

Gene

2501 - 2520 of 6590