Date   

Re: changing the sound scheme of nvda

Gene

Here is a link to the file.
https://we.tl/t-JCX0qAiTt4

Gene

On 8/28/2022 7:02 PM, Gene wrote:

I'll send a link to the file later this evening.

Gene

On 8/28/2022 6:56 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Sun, Aug 28, 2022 at 07:53 PM, Gene wrote:
If you want it, I'll send a zip file of the sounds to you.
-
I'd love to have it just to see what "the new two" happen to be.  I doubt that any of the filenames for the old eight have changed, but seeing the set you saved would confirm/refute that presumption.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

Gene

I'll send a link to the file later this evening.

Gene

On 8/28/2022 6:56 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

-
I'd love to have it just to see what "the new two" happen to be.  I doubt that any of the filenames for the old eight have changed, but seeing the set you saved would confirm/refute that presumption.
--

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

Re: Getting to the "heading row buttons" in Thunderbird mailbox windows (Tbird V102)

Gene

That may be, but the add-on doesn't affect that if I understand what you are describing.  If, by sort order, you mean that, in a conversation, messages are sorted by subject if you click on that or by name if you click on that, there is no function in the add-on to affect that.

Gene

On 8/28/2022 6:54 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

I am having one of those evenings where either I've forgotten how to navigate to that row of buttons or if one even can.  I may be confusing Outlook and Thunderbird in addition.

But if you point and click on any heading in a Thunderbird mailbox, e.g., Subject, the sort order changes to that column, and if clicked again the sort order reverses from whatever it is.

I could have sworn these were accessible without using Mozilla Apps Enhancements, but I could be wrong about that, so I'm asking someone to blow the cobwebs away from those dusty corners of my mind!
--

-
--

Getting to the "heading row buttons" in Thunderbird mailbox windows (Tbird V102)

I am having one of those evenings where either I've forgotten how to navigate to that row of buttons or if one even can.  I may be confusing Outlook and Thunderbird in addition.

But if you point and click on any heading in a Thunderbird mailbox, e.g., Subject, the sort order changes to that column, and if clicked again the sort order reverses from whatever it is.

I could have sworn these were accessible without using Mozilla Apps Enhancements, but I could be wrong about that, so I'm asking someone to blow the cobwebs away from those dusty corners of my mind!
--

Gene

At one time, there was an experimental new sound scheme, as I wrote earlier.  I was curious whether I still had the files and I do.  There are only eight, which evidently means that two original sounds were kept when using the new scheme.

Gene

On 8/28/2022 6:46 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Sun, Aug 28, 2022 at 11:23 AM, udit pandey wrote:
But I dont have sounds to replace can you give some.
-
No disrespect intended, but if you're unhappy with the default NVDA sound scheme, how would any of us be able to venture any guess as to what sounds you may prefer, and for which purposes?

There are lots of short audio files in WAV format available on the internet on many, many sites.  Take a look at some of the sites returned by this search:  https://duckduckgo.com/?q=free+wav+sounds+for+windows 

It appears that the entire NVDA sound scheme consists of 10 WAV files located in the NVDA Install folder, waves subfolder.  Replacing any one or more of these with other files that are renamed to exactly the same name as NVDA looks for should change the sound used for that situation to whatever sound file it is that you renamed to match the "condition name" of the NVDA WAV file.
--

On Sun, Aug 28, 2022 at 11:23 AM, udit pandey wrote:
But I dont have sounds to replace can you give some.
-
No disrespect intended, but if you're unhappy with the default NVDA sound scheme, how would any of us be able to venture any guess as to what sounds you may prefer, and for which purposes?

There are lots of short audio files in WAV format available on the internet on many, many sites.  Take a look at some of the sites returned by this search:  https://duckduckgo.com/?q=free+wav+sounds+for+windows 

It appears that the entire NVDA sound scheme consists of 10 WAV files located in the NVDA Install folder, waves subfolder.  Replacing any one or more of these with other files that are renamed to exactly the same name as NVDA looks for should change the sound used for that situation to whatever sound file it is that you renamed to match the "condition name" of the NVDA WAV file.
--

Re: Couple of queries

Gene

Also, I am talking about lists like this one.  I believe that at times, when working with people individually, you need to be firm.  I believe that at certain times on lists, you need to be firm with Ann individual.  I'm talking about how best to achieve things in general on lists of this sort.

Gene

On 8/28/2022 10:43 AM, Gene via groups.io wrote:

Yes you have, yourself.

Gene

On 8/28/2022 10:37 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Sun, Aug 28, 2022 at 11:15 AM, Gene wrote:
You may do what you like, but you are saying that your style is your style, as if you are placing that above being the most effective in achieving your goal. 
-
Gene, it's simple:  I will approach "achieving my goal" my way, just as you do yours.

I have found the methods I've chosen very effective over a course of decades now.  Some people love 'em, some hate 'em, some are indifferent.  That's fine, all of it.

And whether you accept this feedback or not, I have never, in my life, come across someone as rigid as yourself and unwilling to accept any feedback regarding what they've said or done and actually change course because of it.
--

Gene

Yes you have, yourself.

Gene

On 8/28/2022 10:37 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:

You may do what you like, but you are saying that your style is your style, as if you are placing that above being the most effective in achieving your goal. 
-
Gene, it's simple:  I will approach "achieving my goal" my way, just as you do yours.

I have found the methods I've chosen very effective over a course of decades now.  Some people love 'em, some hate 'em, some are indifferent.  That's fine, all of it.

And whether you accept this feedback or not, I have never, in my life, come across someone as rigid as yourself and unwilling to accept any feedback regarding what they've said or done and actually change course because of it.
--

-

--

udit pandey

hi all,
I have found a way to change the sounds of nvda. But I dont have sounds to replace can you give some.

Re: Thunderbird 91.X Users - Button for in-place upgrade to 102.2.0 now in About Thunderbird

matthew dyer

Matthew

I am not using thunderbird 102 and Jaws 2022 latest build seems to be working fine here.

Hi all,

On 8/27/2022 6:24 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Sat, Aug 27, 2022 at 05:38 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
just be aware your messages will complete before it does but at least its got one now.
-
This has virtually always been the case, in my observation, for progress bars that go by very rapidly.  No screen reader ever keeps up with them if you go from zero to one hundred percent in a matter of a few seconds.  You generally keep hearing the next percentage iteration many times after the process is actually done.

If it's a slow rolling progress bar, that's a different story entirely.
--

Gene

You may do what you like, but you are saying that your style is your style, as if you are placing that above being the most effective in achieving your goal.  I don't know what you mean by you do the same thing. 

Let's say someone is arguing with someone about something.  The person may, when responding, decide to respond in a certain way because he/she thinks it will be more effective in persuasion.

Gene

On 8/28/2022 10:07 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Sun, Aug 28, 2022 at 10:59 AM, Gene wrote:
I'm not justifying anything. 
-
Gene,

Believe me, I did not intend to imply that you were.  But, even you know, many people use the things you've presented in that particular message as a means of justification.

I long ago stopped caring about whether people care for my style or not.  It's mine, and it works for me, which is what matters.  And history has shown that if those asking for assistance actually listen to what I tell them, and act accordingly, in the vast majority of cases a solution ensues.

If adults cannot take criticism, that's their problem, not mine.  The vast majority of what I've learned, about anything, in life when it was tricky or difficult came from having my assumptions questioned and being pushed.  I also don't tend to criticize "straight out of the shoot."  You (generic) get criticism when I feel it's justified.  And you do precisely the same thing.

As I said in my prior message, assistants should assist as they see fit and those seeking it should either accept, reject, or ask for clarification.  No one is forcing anyone to engage.  Either side should just walk away if that's what they feel best, for whatever reason.
--

On Sun, Aug 28, 2022 at 10:59 AM, Gene wrote:
I'm not justifying anything. 
-
Gene,

Believe me, I did not intend to imply that you were.  But, even you know, many people use the things you've presented in that particular message as a means of justification.

I long ago stopped caring about whether people care for my style or not.  It's mine, and it works for me, which is what matters.  And history has shown that if those asking for assistance actually listen to what I tell them, and act accordingly, in the vast majority of cases a solution ensues.

If adults cannot take criticism, that's their problem, not mine.  The vast majority of what I've learned, about anything, in life when it was tricky or difficult came from having my assumptions questioned and being pushed.  I also don't tend to criticize "straight out of the shoot."  You (generic) get criticism when I feel it's justified.  And you do precisely the same thing.

As I said in my prior message, assistants should assist as they see fit and those seeking it should either accept, reject, or ask for clarification.  No one is forcing anyone to engage.  Either side should just walk away if that's what they feel best, for whatever reason.
--

Gene

I'm not justifying anything.  I'm discussing and explaining why things are as they are.  Such conditions are caused by the bad attitudes of the general society and many blind people learning these attitudes from society.  Other groups who are discriminated against may have similar problems.

I agree with your desire that more blind people have more confidence in themselves and learn to do more in general but you often come across as critical and I think that turns many people off.  I believe encouragement is far more likely to have more effect. 

Gene
On 9:25 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Sun, Aug 28, 2022 at 08:44 AM, Gene wrote:
I'm going into these things because the discussion has indirectly mentioned resistance to change but not discussed why. 
-
Gene,

For myself, I've heard it all before and I actually believe it, too.  The problem being it's not a justification.  It's just not.

I could take the adjective "blind" out of virtually all the sentences where it's used and it still applies to a certain segment of the population.  And that segment has precisely the same reaction patterns.

They're not reaction patterns that can, or should, be supported, but rooted out.  Whether that can be done by a gentle taking by the hand or requires a two by four to the head depends entirely on the individual resisting.  But saying of someone being unjustifiably resistant, "Oh, that's OK, that's just how he/she is," isn't helping them, at all.  It also doesn't result in the production of exchanges that can be useful to other readers, either.  Also, saying that of someone stating something that's factually wrong, that might be accepted as fact when it is absolutely not, is to be avoided at all costs on tech support groups.

Groups such as these are also entirely "staffed" by volunteers, each of whom has their own personality and their own ways.  It's also been my observation that there is always a much smaller cadre of assistants compared to those seeking it, and that cadre is more vital, over time, to the continued existence of any group than those seeking help are.  For that reason, the following applies:

Those receiving assistance are entitled to ask for clarification as well as free to reject advice.  If you don’t wish to do what your assistant is asking, then state that so that you can both can move along.  Assistants have every right to assist as they see fit, and those being assisted to either follow or reject the option(s) presented.  An assistant is within their rights to withdraw support at any time, for any reason.

Arguing (and I do mean arguing) with a person trying to give you assistance makes no sense.  This is all the more the case when that assistant is not asking for anything unusual or outrageous.
--

On Sun, Aug 28, 2022 at 08:44 AM, Gene wrote:
I'm going into these things because the discussion has indirectly mentioned resistance to change but not discussed why. 
-
Gene,

For myself, I've heard it all before and I actually believe it, too.  The problem being it's not a justification.  It's just not.

I could take the adjective "blind" out of virtually all the sentences where it's used and it still applies to a certain segment of the population.  And that segment has precisely the same reaction patterns.

They're not reaction patterns that can, or should, be supported, but rooted out.  Whether that can be done by a gentle taking by the hand or requires a two by four to the head depends entirely on the individual resisting.  But saying of someone being unjustifiably resistant, "Oh, that's OK, that's just how he/she is," isn't helping them, at all.  It also doesn't result in the production of exchanges that can be useful to other readers, either.  Also, saying that of someone stating something that's factually wrong, that might be accepted as fact when it is absolutely not, is to be avoided at all costs on tech support groups.

Groups such as these are also entirely "staffed" by volunteers, each of whom has their own personality and their own ways.  It's also been my observation that there is always a much smaller cadre of assistants compared to those seeking it, and that cadre is more vital, over time, to the continued existence of any group than those seeking help are.  For that reason, the following applies:

Those receiving assistance are entitled to ask for clarification as well as free to reject advice.  If you don’t wish to do what your assistant is asking, then state that so that you can both can move along.  Assistants have every right to assist as they see fit, and those being assisted to either follow or reject the option(s) presented.  An assistant is within their rights to withdraw support at any time, for any reason.

Arguing (and I do mean arguing) with a person trying to give you assistance makes no sense.  This is all the more the case when that assistant is not asking for anything unusual or outrageous.
--

Re: Using a Braille display with one working hand

Pranav Lal

Hi John,

Are you typing with the same hand with which you are reading the Braille on
the display?

Pranav

-----Original Message-----
From: chat@nvda.groups.io <chat@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of John J. Boyer
Sent: Sunday, August 28, 2022 4:03 PM
To: chat@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [chat] Using a Braille display with one working hand

Hello Pranav,

I have normal hands, but I can use my Braille display primarily with one
hand while typing on the QWERY keyboard.
The characters appear on the braille display immediately.

John

On Sat, Aug 27, 2022 at 10:47:12PM +0530, Pranav Lal wrote:
Hi all,

I have been thinking about using a Braille display. This is because of
the following reasons.
1. I am fed up with having to coordinate multiple sound sources while
I am on Microsoft teams calls. I'll have a colleague speaking, NVDA
speaking and another colleague messaging me on Microsoft teams. I have
audio ducking disabled but I still have a loss of volume. I suspect
this is more a soundcard driver issue but this is an office laptop and
it is a huge struggle getting IT to make any changes to the defaults..
2. I find headphones uncomfortable. I have tried bone conduction ones
as well and much prefer having my head free. Moreover, I plan to be
wearing video glasses when using the vOICe which makes the use of
headphones even more uncomfortable.

I have a partly formed left palm such that I cannot grip with it and
do not have independent control of the fingers. They look like stubs
of fingers though they do have nails etc.

The upshot of all this is that I am wondering if a Braille display
will really work for me. I can get a 20-cell orbit reader here but am
wondering if it is worth the investment.

As of now, I am used to getting immediate feedback when I type, and
6-key entry is something I do not fancy so am wondering if I can use a
keyboard and a display at the same time. What I suspect is that I will
have to use a mix of speech and Braille with the braille primarily for
reading.

Anyone any thoughts?
Pranav

--
John J. Boyer
Email: john.boyer@...
Status: Company dissolved but website and email addresses live.
Mission: developing assistive technology software and providing STEM
services
that are available at no cost

Gene

I wanted to make perhaps two more comments before this thread gets too old. 

There are reasons, having to do with how many blind people are taught to think of themselves, and not good training that are important in why many blind people are quite resistant to change related to computers. 

Many blind people aren't taught to have confidence in themselves and they may want to continue doing things as they know they can.  They have been taught a certain way and they are afraid that change will make it difficult, or not possible, to do the task.

Another reason, regarding computers is one I mentioned before, that many blind people are taught more or less by rote and don't have a good understanding of structures and how to apply what you know about structures in different parts of Windows and Windows programs.

These reasons make many blind people more likely to believe bad things they hear about changes related to computers and their use than other users. 

Gene

On 8/25/2022 6:22 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Thu, Aug 25, 2022 at 06:59 PM, Nimer Jaber wrote:
And gossip and spreading misinformation cannot be untaught.
-
Certainly not at the meta level.  But one can try to reform individuals!

But what drives me even more crazy than gossip and misinformation, some of which can be of a non-malicious nature, is that far too often the presentation of accurate information doesn't change beliefs one tiny bit.  And while that's always been the case to some extent, I don't think it's my imagination that "the extent" has become far more widespread than it once was.

Of course, I could be in rose-colored glasses mode, as one of my favorite commentaries about this by Issac Asimov, A Cult of Ignorance, written all the way back in 1980 for Newsweek, stated things as clearly as I've ever seen them stated, and is as true, if not more so, today than when it was written.
--

Gene

Do you mean using different sounds than provided?  I don't know if the experimental new sounds are still available anywhere but they were not used after many users expressed dislike of them.  The only way you can change sounds associated with events is either to create your own wave files and replace the existing ones or use the other files, if they are still around.

Gene

On 8/28/2022 2:21 AM, udit pandey wrote:

hi group,
how to change the sound skeem of nvda

Re: Using a Braille display with one working hand

John J. Boyer

Hello Pranav,

I have normal hands, but I can use my Braille display primarily with one hand while typing on the QWERY keyboard.
The characters appear on the braille display immediately.

John

On Sat, Aug 27, 2022 at 10:47:12PM +0530, Pranav Lal wrote:
Hi all,

I have been thinking about using a Braille display. This is because of the
following reasons.
1. I am fed up with having to coordinate multiple sound sources while I am
on Microsoft teams calls. I'll have a colleague speaking, NVDA speaking and
another colleague messaging me on Microsoft teams. I have audio ducking
disabled but I still have a loss of volume. I suspect this is more a
soundcard driver issue but this is an office laptop and it is a huge
struggle getting IT to make any changes to the defaults..
2. I find headphones uncomfortable. I have tried bone conduction ones as
well and much prefer having my head free. Moreover, I plan to be wearing
video glasses when using the vOICe which makes the use of headphones even
more uncomfortable.

I have a partly formed left palm such that I cannot grip with it and do not
have independent control of the fingers. They look like stubs of fingers
though they do have nails etc.

The upshot of all this is that I am wondering if a Braille display will
really work for me. I can get a 20-cell orbit reader here but am wondering
if it is worth the investment.

As of now, I am used to getting immediate feedback when I type, and 6-key
entry is something I do not fancy so am wondering if I can use a keyboard
and a display at the same time. What I suspect is that I will have to use a
mix of speech and Braille with the braille primarily for reading.

Anyone any thoughts?
Pranav

--
John J. Boyer
Email: john.boyer@...
Status: Company dissolved but website and email addresses live.
Mission: developing assistive technology software and providing STEM services
that are available at no cost

621 - 640 of 6311