explaining accessibility to sighted people

farhan israk

how can i explain accessibility to sighted people? our university website is accessible. however, there is a page to check status of a student. we call it ERP. Basically, the page is accessible. i can access site menu with a screen reader. However, I cannot access the corresponding menu. For example, I can click academic. Some options come after clicking academic. Sighted people can see and click them. However, I cannot navigate among those options and click with the screen reader.

Farhan,

Rather than even trying to explain it, if you have the option, demonstrate it.

It is much easier, if there is a help desk with a live person, or someone from the IT department who is there live, to understand what's wrong when they can actually see what you can't do.

Ideally, if the situation presents itself, first have them do "the sighted way" what you are about to attempt to do, then do it with a screen reader until "the sticking point" is reached.  That gives them an even better idea of where the issue is and why it needs to be addressed.

Trying to describe accessibility, or the lack thereof, in the abstract is very, very difficult indeed.  But it's very simple to demonstrate it, even if that ends up being via video screen capture.

The poor wish to be rich, the rich wish to be happy, the single wish to be married, and the married wish to be dead.

       ~ Ann Landers

On Sun, Aug 8, 2021 at 01:17 PM, farhan israk wrote:
our university website
-
By the way, if your university has a Disability Services or Disability Resources Center you should consider getting them involved at any time that you encounter accessibility issues, whether with your university website proper or any web resource you are expected to use as part of your studies.

Sadly, you'll often find that you're teaching them something but, this means that they'll know it the next time something similar occurs, or remember it if it has not been fixed and someone comes in with the same issue.

The poor wish to be rich, the rich wish to be happy, the single wish to be married, and the married wish to be dead.

       ~ Ann Landers

Tim M

you need to talk to your disability department and the schools web master. I did it at my school and got it working.