windows 10 21h2 deployment

Hi all.
I have been noticing a lot of people asking this on win 10 list.
For those that asked, both intel systems I have a 7200 and a 4500 both
i5, one asus desktop another hp laptop and my amd ryzen 2nd gen have
all not got the update just yet.
I suspect that they are targeting other systems first though I am
checking daily to see if its here or not.
For those that want to that is.
For the rest, it comes when it comes.
As it is a feature update just like windows 11 if you get that,
remember to deactivate vocaliser eloquence and deauthorise yourself
out of itunes to stop screwing things up or losing licences.
Note that doesn't seem to effect anything else but oh well thats life I guess.

I really cannot fathom how anyone who has been using Windows 10 for any period of time does not yet understand how feature update rollouts work.  And yet there are quite a few "long timers" who never seem to absorb anything about how this has been working.  They're like blank slates at each and every feature update.

The feature update rollout process has been working as it now works for at least 3 years now, maybe a little longer, and the rollout process is always months-long with very small numbers of machines being updated in a cohort at the early stages of the rollout, with the numbers becoming larger and larger in each subsequent cohort if no unexpected issues have been detected in telemetry from the preceding cohorts.

Essentially, unless you force the update with the Update Assistant or doing a feature update with the ISO file, it's always a, "You'll get it when Microsoft offers it to you in Settings, Update & Security, Windows Update Pane, and not a moment before."  And when you get it, it will be offered, not installed fully automatically.  The end user must activate the Download and install link to consent to the update.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.

         ~ Harlan Ellison

Brian I suspect because there have been times where microsoft just chucked out there.

Obviously after the 18.09 update they really got shot in the foot over that one.

I have had updates almost straight away but yeah they are being carefull I guess.

Technically I could load it since I have the media but I am in no hurry.

At least I know we are garanteed at least 5 more well 5 including this one feature updates per cycle.

Thats going to make things a lot easier for businesses and consumers.

Its also going to make things easier on those making sure things work.

So maybe more stuff will work who knows.

And some stuff can take longer.

For example I test the dolphin supernova line of products.

And well windows 11 has only just gone live this week.

At least official support.

I've just had intel and amd update certain drivers so yeah if there is any issue things are updating as they need to.

Of course it goes without saying I do have the backup media for both 11 and 10 there so if I need them I can still do stuff with them.

On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 02:51 AM, Shaun Everiss wrote:

Brian I suspect because there have been times where microsoft just chucked out there.

Obviously after the 18.09 update they really got shot in the foot over that one.

-
There has never been a feature update, not even during the fully automatic update acceptance era, that was literally "just chucked out there."  The basic cohort by cohort rollout procedure has been in place since day one.  What did change, and it was significant, was the removal of the fully automatic update acceptance.  Feature Updates now apply only under one of two circumstances:

1.  The user of the computer activates the Download and install link in the Windows Update pane to accept it.

2.  The computer comes within 60 days of the end of life of whatever version happens to be running on it.  Under that circumstance alone Windows Update will seek out and automatically install whatever the current version happens to be so that the machine continues using a version that's under support.  I actually only know of one person where this has happened, and he "rigged" the situation by not touching an old computer he really didn't use just to see exactly what would happen if he ran out the clock on the version of Windows 10 that was running.

No one's saying, least of all me, that Microsoft has not had some catastrophic mistakes, but those are not relevant to knowing how the basic feature update rollout process works, and has worked for years.  At this point in time, there are very few people who have not been using Windows 10 for a couple of years now, at a minimum.  I get why very late adopters would not understand the process, but the questions of the form, "How is this going to work?," with regard to feature updates often come from the same people each and every feature update cycle.  How it works hasn't changed.  And what's worse is that the question could be answered with an archive search or a web search.  The basic process has been discussed to death.