Contact

Ibrahim Ajayi

Hello:
Please does anyone know of a program or app, that one can use to
transcribe video and audio in to text.
If anyone knows of any program or app, please let me know, and also
let me know how such an app or program is used. A comprehensive
tutorial will be greatly appreciated.
Regards.
Ibrahim.

Dennis Clark

Hello Ibrahim,

Hopefully this is going to you off list. I am building a website which  performs the tasks you described. The primary purpose of my website ap is for blind/deaf and deaf people to get a transcription of audio from mp3 audio files and mp4, Avi, etc files. My website will not be available for use by those with these disabilities for at least another month, but if you are disabled and have a few files which need to be transcribed I can do it for you in advance of announcing my website. In my tests a 1 hour video takes about 8 minutes for the transcription, and the result, though not perfect, is truly amazing. You can reach me at:

dennis@.... I look forward to hearing from you.

All the best,

Dennis

On 11/29/2021 1:47 PM, Ibrahim Ajayi wrote:
Hello:
Please does anyone know of a program or app, that one can use to
transcribe video and audio in to text.
If anyone knows of any program or app, please let me know, and also
let me know how such an app or program is used. A comprehensive
tutorial will be greatly appreciated.
Regards.
Ibrahim.

Dan Thompson

Great to hear this Denis. I am looking forward to such a website or program!!

[...]

Hello Dan,

Great to hear from you. I gather that since you saw my email that it did not go to only the poster. Hopefully this will go to just you. I find Thunderbird to be a real pain in the petunia.

I am excited about this project. As blind people we have an enormous problem accessing all that is freely available to sighted people, and when deafness or limited hearing is added to the situation, the result is almost too frustrating to comprehend.

My website is also going to tackle the problem of books distributed to those of us who are blind, but those books don't contain any figures or diagrams. As I'm sure you remember, in the good old days, books we obtained from Recordings for the Blind on audio tape always had descriptions of all pictures, diagrams, graphs and so on.

The third item I am working on is enabling blind users to upload PDF or multi page TIFF files containing images to my website, then the website will perform OCR, save the results to a text file which the user can then download. I have been experimenting with this, and we are now writing some code to evaluate the column structure of each page for recognition.

Finally, I have to find a good way to determine if our users are blind or deaf or in any other way reading disabled at the time of registration. My preference is to enable people who are registering to present their Bard, Bookshare, etc credentials so we can determine that they have been verified as disabled by another organization. I do not want people to have to get additional documentation to prove their disability yet again for our service. I have seen this done by some organizations but I don't recall which ones. I think I remember that the Internet Archive does something like this.

If you have any ideas about how to do this verification please let me know. Also, please let me know your thoughts on what I have described and what additional services might be helpful.

Again Dan it was great to hear from you. Give my best to Judy.

All the best,
Dennis

On 11/29/2021 5:48 PM, Dan Thompson wrote:
[...]

Tim M

Sorry it went to everyone.

You will have to get in touch with Bard and Bookshare to see if what you want to do has any security problems using there registration content.

They bind that stuff for a reason, and what you want to do breaks that.

On 11/30/2021 2:18 AM, Dennis Clark wrote:
[...]

Hello Tim

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Can you help me understand what you mean by bind, because I'm not sure what that means. Just to be clear, I wasn't planning to request the login credentials of Bard or Bookshare from a user. Thanks again, and I look forward to hearing from you if you have a few minutes.

All the best,

Dennis

On 11/30/2021 8:57 AM, Tim M wrote:
[...]

On Tue, Nov 30, 2021 at 11:57 AM, Tim M wrote:
Sorry it went to everyone.
-
Just FYI to the membership at large, the Groups.io default for all groups, unless an owner changes it, and very few do, is that any reply using an e-mail or webmail client reply function is "to the group."  And since this is generally really what's wanted, that's why few owners change it.

If you want to reply back only to the person who originated a specific message, you will need to use the Reply to Sender link at the bottom of each message to reply privately (AKA direct message, and messages sent this way will have [DM] in front of the subject).

The stoical scheme of supplying our wants by lopping off our desires is like cutting off our feet when we want shoes.

         ~ Jonathan Swift (1667-1745)