Pontes media downloader issues, need help please

Dan Thompson

Greetings, Media pontest media downloader is not converting my files from youtube or putting them in the folder designated.  Is anyone else having that problem.  I have uninstalled version two and reinstalled it a few times.  Then I tried version 3.0 and neither one is working.  Does anyone have ideas how to get it working again or another accessible conversion program?  Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas to all.

Presuming you're trying to get MP3 versions of the YouTube content, try:  https://mp3-now.com/

I've never used Pontes, so can't advise there, but this particular website came up in discussion on the main group when YouTube to MP3 conversion was being asked about and it seems to work quite well, and is clean and easy to use.

It also gets a clean bill of health from virustotal.com.

People have become so rigid; their opinions seem to them like themselves. When that happens (and it has happened) people can’t change their minds. If you are identified by your opinions — if that is the very basis of yourself — how can you change your mind?

Dennis Clark

Hello Dan,

It seems that Pontes Media downloader is now being blocked by youtube. At first it appeared to be in just a few geographic regions, but it is now pretty universal. I just posted a method for downloading mp3 or mp4 files from youtube, and it works well. Let me know if I can help.

Best,

Dennis

On 12/16/2021 5:24 AM, Dan Thompson wrote:

Greetings, Media pontest media downloader is not converting my files from youtube or putting them in the folder designated.  Is anyone else having that problem.  I have uninstalled version two and reinstalled it a few times.  Then I tried version 3.0 and neither one is working.  Does anyone have ideas how to get it working again or another accessible conversion program?  Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas to all.

Giles Turnbull

Pontes has always been my preferred downloader, and I particularly
like it because it lets me convert the YouTube to flac. However it is
blocked for me too now.

I can confirm that 4k Video Downloader is still able to download
YouTube videos. Sadly it doesn't convert to as many formats, and it's
not quite as accessible as Pontes ... but I installed an update to it
today and find the accessibility has been improved :) ... it works a
little differently to Pontes, you copy the link to the media you want
to download, then go to the download menu, where the first option is
"paste link". Once you've pasted a link it starts downloading
automatically, though without any audible indication. The downloaded
file location by default is in a 4k folder in the the Videos folder,
rather than the Documents folder where Pontes downloads go by default.

Sometimes I find 4k Video Downloader will be abel to get a video that
Pontes has not been able to get.

Giles

On 12/16/21, Dennis Clark <dennis@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Denis, is great to hear from  you.  Yes, you can help.  What is the program you used to convert, where do  you get it and where do the files go?  Thanks for responding!!!

It seems that Pontes Media downloader is now being blocked by youtube. At first it appeared to be in just a few geographic regions, but it is now pretty universal. I just posted a method for downloading mp3 or mp4 files from youtube, and it works well. Let me know if I can help.

Best,

Dennis

On 12/16/2021 5:24 AM, Dan Thompson wrote:

Greetings, Media pontest media downloader is not converting my files from youtube or putting them in the folder designated.  Is anyone else having that problem.  I have uninstalled version two and reinstalled it a few times.  Then I tried version 3.0 and neither one is working.  Does anyone have ideas how to get it working again or another accessible conversion program?  Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas to all.

Dan Thompson

Thanks very muchBryan, I will give it a try and let you know how it goes.

I've never used Pontes, so can't advise there, but this particular website came up in discussion on the main group when YouTube to MP3 conversion was being asked about and it seems to work quite well, and is clean and easy to use.

It also gets a clean bill of health from virustotal.com.

People have become so rigid; their opinions seem to them like themselves. When that happens (and it has happened) people can’t change their minds. If you are identified by your opinions — if that is the very basis of yourself — how can you change your mind?

Dan Thompson

Hi Bryan, I tried the converter, but have a few questions.

I pasted in the link to the file I wish to convert and then tried finding the list of mp3 qualities and could not.  So I tabbed once to convert which is a button and pressed enter.   I am not getting the file in my downloads.  I am sure I am not doing something right.  Can you help?  Thanks for your time. e

I've never used Pontes, so can't advise there, but this particular website came up in discussion on the main group when YouTube to MP3 conversion was being asked about and it seems to work quite well, and is clean and easy to use.

It also gets a clean bill of health from virustotal.com.

People have become so rigid; their opinions seem to them like themselves. When that happens (and it has happened) people can’t change their minds. If you are identified by your opinions — if that is the very basis of yourself — how can you change your mind?

Gene

I’m not Dennis but Dennis is discussing using a service like the one Brian is discussing.  I looked at it this morning.  When you add the 5s to the address, you are directing the browser to the service and submitting the address of the file.

Gene

[...]

arqam mehmood

Hi all.
Pontes media downloader uses youtube-dl for downloading of videos. and
youtube-dl is outdated now.
That's why downloading speed is very slow.
now, another tool yt-dlp is working as same. if developers of pontes
could update pontes media downloader with yt-dlp, problem can be
solved.
but I couldn't understand your error. can you explain the error to me again?
Regards, Arqam Mehmood.

[...]

On Thu, Dec 16, 2021 at 09:02 PM, Dan Thompson wrote:
Can you help?
-
Dan, I'll do the best I can.  As I mentioned in another topic today, because this is a free site the things that come with free sites, namely being served up the occasional ad, also come with it.  Also, there are a couple of points where certain overlay window dialogs may not necessarily be announced, but hitting a single tab at that point has invariably thrown focus on them, so it's one of those, "If you're aware of the problem, while accessibility is not as we'd like it, you can still get through the whole process," situations.  Here are step by step instructions I just put together.  It sounds more complicated than it is once you've done a couple.

1. Get the URL from YouTube for which you wish to generate the MP3 file.

2. Open https://mp3-now.com/.  By default, it opens to the tab for Convert to MP3.

3. Paste the URL you obtained in Step 1 into the edit box announced as, "Search or paste your YouTube Link Here."

4. Activate the Convert button.  At this point, a window overlay dialog comes up where you select the bit rate from a combo box, which is 128Kbps by default, with the Download .mp3 button next to it.  If it does not announce, hit tab.  You should hear the title of the YouTube Video announced at Heading Level 2, the dropdown and Download buttons follow that.

5. Activate the Download MP3 button, another dialog appears with the title and a converting graphic.  When it finishes . . .

6. A dialog with a Download button and Convert Next button appears, but is not always announced.  If it isn't, then this is another of those hit tab to give it focus.  Hit the Download button.  In most cases you will now receive a Save As dialog just like you do for any other program that lets you pick where to place the MP3 file, and for you to change its name.  However, since this is a free site, you will sometimes be thrown into a tab that tries to get you to download something, buy something, or the like.  If that happens just close that tab and activate the Download button again.  The second hit of the Download button has always produced the Save As when an ad had been served up.

7. Do what one would normally do for a Save As dialog once it's up.  After you've saved the file, you will be back in the previously mentioned dialog with the Download and Convert next button.  If you hit Convert next, it takes you back to the page where step 1 begins again.  If you have nothing else to convert, just close the page.

People have become so rigid; their opinions seem to them like themselves. When that happens (and it has happened) people can’t change their minds. If you are identified by your opinions — if that is the very basis of yourself — how can you change your mind?

arqam mehmood

Hi.
You're right, but with this method, it's not possible to download playlists.

[...]

~ Fran Lebowitz in *Ruminator* Magazine interview with Susannah McNeely
(Aug/Sept 2005)

On Thu, Dec 16, 2021 at 11:31 PM, arqam mehmood wrote:
but with this method, it's not possible to download playlists.
-
That's not what I interpreted the original request to be.  I'm not a big YouTube user myself, either.

People have become so rigid; their opinions seem to them like themselves. When that happens (and it has happened) people can’t change their minds. If you are identified by your opinions — if that is the very basis of yourself — how can you change your mind?

Dennis Clark

Hello Dan,

I apologize for causing more confusion than clarity. I typed my response in a rush, and should have waited until I had more time to be clear.

The method I was describing is not a program like Pontes that one would download and install. It is instead simply a web based service, which will access the YouTube video at the address link specified by the user, then copy that video to its website for processing. Once it is finished processing which takes a few seconds, it provides a link a user can click on, and download the video or audio file to a local computer.

The website for the service I described is:

www.yt5s.com

The www.yt5s.com service can be used 2 different ways.

The way I initially described is the quickest method, because it eliminates a couple of steps.

The second method works as follows.

While on the YouTube webpage for the audio or video that one wishes to download, the address link for that specific youtube must be copied in some way to the clipboard just as is the case with Pontes Media Downloader.

I always do this by pressing function key 6, and this takes me to a window which contains the entire youtube link and nothing else.

I just tested again on my computer since others are apparently obtaining a different result which leaves me puzzled.

I just went to a youtube video page using Brave, Google Chrome, and Firefox, and pressing function key 6 in each browser provides the youtube page address.

So I guess I would say that using whatever people use to copy the YouTube address to the clipboard when using Pontes Media Downloader should be followed here also.

Once that youtube address is shown, the user has 2 options when using the www.yt5s.com service to download a video or audio.

The first method is the one I described in my previous post, which is to simply edit the displayed address by inserting the 2 characters 5s into the address, then pressing enter.

Example:

If the YouTube address being displayed is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXopgNU2sNY&ab_channel=DarrelWilson

Edit/modify  the address by inserting the 2 characters 5s after youtube and before .com so that it reads as follows:

https://www.youtube5s.com/watch?v=CXopgNU2sNY&ab_channel=DarrelWilson

After making this 2 letter modification to the youtube address, pressing the enter key will automatically take a user to the www.yt5s.com website with the conversion and download ready to go by simply clicking the get file button, then pressing enter on download file.

The alternative method for using the www.yt5s.com service is similar to Pontes Media Downloader, though there is no program to download and install like Pontes. Everything is done using your web browser.

The first stetp as with Pontes is to get to the YouTube video address in whatever way you typically do, for me funtion key 6.

Once there copy the address to the clipboard.

Next point your browser to the website, www.yt5s.com.

Once there, a form field is available where you must paste the YouTube address from your clipboard into the field.

Click on the button which says get video.

In a few seconds a link will appear which says download, so click on that link.

The standard Windows download options are presented for downloading to your computer.

This is certainly not a replacement for Pontes Media Downloader. Pontes is especially wonderful since it enables the downloading of entire playlists. I do find my downloads to be quicker than with Pontes, but this does not offset the loss of being able to download playlists.

Please let me know if I can provide any additional info.

Warmest regards,

Dennis

On 12/16/2021 5:42 PM, Dan Thompson wrote:

[...]

If those using the newer Edge use f6 to get to the address bar, that browser isn’t set up in the usual way.  You need to press it twice.  You can get to the address bar in other ways as well but its good that f6 is being discussed since it is an important command to know aside from the use we are discussing.

Gene

It seems that Pontes Media downloader is now being blocked by youtube. At first it appeared to be in just a few geographic regions, but it is now pretty universal. I just posted a method for downloading mp3 or mp4 files from youtube, and it works well. Let me know if I can help.

Best,

Dennis

On 12/16/2021 5:24 AM, Dan Thompson wrote:

Greetings, Media pontest media downloader is not converting my files from youtube or putting them in the folder designated.  Is anyone else having that problem.  I have uninstalled version two and reinstalled it a few times.  Then I tried version 3.0 and neither one is working.  Does anyone have ideas how to get it working again or another accessible conversion program?  Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas to all.

Dennis Clark

Hello Gene,

I wasn't aware of that, but it is a good point. I must confess that my view of Microsoft has changed during the past few years, so where I can find a non Microsoft alternative I move in that direction. I have begun using Brave during the past month and I really like it. Give me a call when you're ready to talk!

On 12/17/2021 7:14 AM, Gene wrote:

[...]

Richard Wells

I have found that ALT+D will always focus the address bar with the content of the address bar selected. So far, I have not found a browser that does not support this way of doing it and it always takes focus straight to the address bar. The first press of F6 will not necessarily move focus to where you want it.

On Fri, Dec 17, 2021 at 10:41 AM, Richard Wells wrote:
I have found that ALT+D will always focus the address bar with the content of the address bar selected. So far, I have not found a browser that does not support this way of doing it and it always takes focus straight to the address bar.
-
Until and unless one of the major or minor but well-known web browser developers change it, this command is, to my knowledge, observation, and direct experience universal.

It's the one I teach when someone needs to get to the address bar either to copy the current address, or to enter a new one.  The fact that ALT + D not only throws focus there, but also selects the content, makes it perfect for either task.  You can instantly hit CTRL + C to copy what's there, or start typing something else and what was there will be stricken with the first character entered.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.

        ~ Mark Twain

Gene

Its an interesting subject which browser is superior.  We can talk about differences.

I’ve been meaning to call and I will soon.

Gene

It seems that Pontes Media downloader is now being blocked by youtube. At first it appeared to be in just a few geographic regions, but it is now pretty universal. I just posted a method for downloading mp3 or mp4 files from youtube, and it works well. Let me know if I can help.

Best,

Dennis

On 12/16/2021 5:24 AM, Dan Thompson wrote:

Greetings, Media pontest media downloader is not converting my files from youtube or putting them in the folder designated.  Is anyone else having that problem.  I have uninstalled version two and reinstalled it a few times.  Then I tried version 3.0 and neither one is working.  Does anyone have ideas how to get it working again or another accessible conversion program?  Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas to all.

Well looking at yt-dl on github it also has the ffmpeg builds.

Now for those having an issue I do wander what would happen if you backed up youtubedownloader.exe, named yt-dl.exe youtubedownloader.exe and tried to get the vid with that?

Have you contacted pontes on this.

If no one has I will try to do so and see if they can update their program.

.

On Fri, Dec 17, 2021 at 10:56 AM, Gene wrote:
Its an interesting subject which browser is superior.
-
And is almost entirely subjective, as one's man's meat is another man's poison.  That's why I hate, "What's best?," type questions because without a definition of what the asker considers "best" qualities, it's meaningless.

You're correct that discussing features one wants, and differences between software in a given class (web browsers, in this case), is the way to go.  There's a reason I put this rule in the main group rules:

5.  Please avoid, “What is the best . . .?,” topics, because what qualifies as “best” is entirely subjective.   Topics of this sort are also always chat topics.  If you know you have specific needs then asking, “What {insert program type here} has the following features . . .,” is much more descriptive.   If you want to know what programs people like for a specific task, asking, “What’s your favorite . . . and why?,” is far more likely to get you the details you want to have.  Notice that none of the above questions ask about whether a program is accessible with NVDA.  If you’re asking something like, “Which {insert program class here} is accessible with NVDA?,” then it’s a main group topic.