A puzzling sound problem

Gene

I tried connecting an external sound card to my Windows 10 computer and I can hear audio players and system sounds.  But No screen-reader is heard.  I've tried three, JAWS, NVDA, and Narrator.  Even though the external sound card is the default when connected, for some reason, no screen-reader audio is heard.  I tried rebooting when the sound card is connected but that didn't solve the problem.

Though I plan to use the onboard audio, I still want to be able to use an external sound card if I have problems with internal sound.
Thanks for information about the cause and solution.

Gene

Gene

I don't think it matters, but I didn't install the software.  That shouldn't be necessary just to play audio through an external sound card.

Gene

On 9/4/2022 5:35 PM, Gene wrote:
I tried connecting an external sound card to my Windows 10 computer and I can hear audio players and system sounds.  But No screen-reader is heard.  I've tried three, JAWS, NVDA, and Narrator.  Even though the external sound card is the default when connected, for some reason, no screen-reader audio is heard.  I tried rebooting when the sound card is connected but that didn't solve the problem.

Though I plan to use the onboard audio, I still want to be able to use an external sound card if I have problems with internal sound.
Thanks for information about the cause and solution.

Gene

Gene

I just solved the problem.  I turned off all enhancements in the USB soundcard and, for some reason, that allowed the screen-reader to be heard.

Now, I don't have to worry if I lose internal sound for some reason.
Gene
Gene

On 9/4/2022 5:35 PM, Gene wrote:
I tried connecting an external sound card to my Windows 10 computer and I can hear audio players and system sounds.  But No screen-reader is heard.  I've tried three, JAWS, NVDA, and Narrator.  Even though the external sound card is the default when connected, for some reason, no screen-reader audio is heard.  I tried rebooting when the sound card is connected but that didn't solve the problem.

Though I plan to use the onboard audio, I still want to be able to use an external sound card if I have problems with internal sound.
Thanks for information about the cause and solution.

Gene

Brian's Mail list account

Yes its as if the last sound device gets ignored. I've seen this mainly on laptops. Not sure if its related to the drivers at all.
Brian

--
bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.(Virgin media)