anyone have experience with virtual machines?

molly the blind tech lover

Hey guys.

I was just wondering if any of you have had experience using virtual machines, particularly VMware work station, either running it on a mac via boot camp or as a virtual machine on your Windows pc.

The reason I ask is because I am taking a computer networking class next semester.

Having never installed or used a virtual machine before, I was just wondering what your experiences are in terms of accessibility.

Were you able to navigate the multiple VM’s with Jaws or NVDA?

I am sorry that at the moment I can’t be more specific.

Hi.
I have had experience with vmware.
Firstly, if you use enhanced keyboard for anything make sure you
install it with the appropriate checkbox, and make sure on each update
that you select the box.
Failure to do this will destroy the keyboard subsystem of windows as I
found out.
The only way to get it back is with sighted help and recent restore
point or a reformat or windows repair.
Next, vmware support works on a contract system for businesses.
If you have a problem, there may not be a way to directly contact support.
Vmware workstation will work well enough on windows, though when you
shut off a machine, you will get knocked to the desktop.
The machine is still running and you will have to end the task for the
vmware vmx.exe in task manager before you can get it working again.
While the menus work for workstation for the most part if you only
need 1 machine player will be a little more accessible than
workstation itself and that itself is free.
The shortcut keys are control g for the machine and control alt for
returning to normal.
When creating machines, the input fields for name, location and the
like will read back but you can not hear your input when typing in
fields.
You will also have a system that will slow down a lot with all the
drivers loaded.
I have yet to try virtualbox with the unofficial portable build which
I do plan to some time.
If you do decide to buy workstation its only 200 instead of 400 bucks
which is a relief at least.
Due to the issues I had with vmware workstation and the fact support
is only busness and the fact that version 16 and 15 had the same
access issues, and with the issue with keyboard enhancement and
windows, I decided to forget about ever using virtuals at least on my
primary system.
Fortunately I did have someone to help with a windows restore point,
else I'd be reformatting.
I allready had an issue with microsoft search, and updates last year
requiring a reformat to get fixed and I have come to the belated
realisation, that to really do the heavy lifting of a true tester,
insider, etc, that I need a system that doesn't have my primary stuff
on it.
Unlike last year due to some updated speaker configuration, I do have
a space for a dedicated system, and at some point in the future I plan
to buy one.
Due to what I have seen with vmware and what happened to me, I can no
longer recommend vmware workstation as a product that I'd choose to
use.
I have yet to enter the vmware forums though and as I only do virtual
machines as a laugh having no place to store one as such and only
doing them for demos and podcasts well.
if you go to www.cutt.us/blindvms you will find at least 5 or 6
podcast files dealing with linux.
Most of these used vmware workstation 15 which I got in the year 2018
and used till april 2020.
I have never bothered to really go back due to the fact I really don't
have the storage space to have a fulltime vm running on my system and
after my scare with the new update, pluss the current covid situation,
I have lost motivation to do anything with virtual machines.
My plan will be to have a system, that I can setup up, doodle with and
if something goes wrong, I can just reformat and it won't matter.
I have heard running linux maybe the best way forward.
For that the commen thing seems to just load ubuntu mate and go with it.
While some sightling says its clunky, I have had a slightly better
experience with mint.
A lot of people say arch is good but some say its not as good so who knows.
Most likely you will never need enhanced keyboard or anything like that.
Only thing you may need to do is make sure hardware is configured in
the vm, as they always set to low a threshhold for the various
components.
That being said, you should also have a system that has hardware
virtualisation in biox cmos configuration.
I have hp units and all of them have this even the low powered models.
I have not tried running a vm on the new m1 chipped macs but I guess
you could try.

On 07/12/2020, molly the blind tech lover <brainardmolly@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey guys.

I was just wondering if any of you have had experience using virtual
machines, particularly VMware work station, either running it on a mac via
boot camp or as a virtual machine on your Windows pc.

The reason I ask is because I am taking a computer networking class next
semester.

Having never installed or used a virtual machine before, I was just
wondering what your experiences are in terms of accessibility.

Were you able to navigate the multiple VM's with Jaws or NVDA?

I am sorry that at the moment I can't be more specific.

molly the blind tech lover

Hi.
I got VMware work station for free.
I guess being a student had something to do with it . . .
It's VMware 15.x Pro.

[...]

I'd prefer not to run VMware work station on my personal machine but unfortunately I have no other option.

[...]

Hmmm version 16 was the one that had my issues with the keyboard.

There is no difference between 15 and 16 but see if you can update it anyway that is if you want or need it.

Yes vmware does probably give away things to students.

The program will work for the most part.

You will have a little latency even with hardware virtualisation but it will work.

On 7/12/2020 11:27 pm, molly the blind tech lover wrote:
[...]

.

molly the blind tech lover

Hi.
I installed VMware work station 15.x pro . . .
The installation went smoothly. Is that a word?
Now I'm stuck on the license screen Darn.
Can I run my existing copy of NVDA on the virtual machine?
I think the virtual machine will run Windows 7, from what my professor said.
My NVDA version is 2020.3.
Sorry for all the questions.

[...]

Hmmm on the install I hit a button to enter your licence in.

If you get to the licence screen there should be an empty field, copy and paste the licence in and hit ok.

To create a virtual machine, hit alt n.

Select your os, in this case windows.

Note not all linux is listed  so you will have to select either ubuntu, debian or arch or different similar kernals and set things directly.

Follow the instructions.

name the machine, and set the folder for it.

I have my vms in my secondry drive in a folder called vms.

so d:\vms\machine.

You should also have a snapshots folder so d:\vms\snapshots, and a screenshots folder so d:\vms\screens is what I called things.

I also have an images folder for images in case I need an os install.

So, after all that you will get a finnish button, but don't press that yet, tab to and select customise hardware.

I then select the followinc configuration.

1.  cpu, number of cores, 2 cores, or 1 it depends on how many processers you have in the system, I will usually select 2 cores since I have 4 cores.

Memmory, I usually select 7900 or 8100 which is round half of my ram, 4800 or lower to 4000 if 8gb is what you have, I have 16 so I could set up to 10000.

Printer, leave as is, display and sound leave as is.

Undernetwork, I selected bridge and then replicate host connection.

I never fitured out nat right.

You will have a virtual lan plugged in, and won't have to bother with the network connection though if you are networking I guess you will want different.

You can select in processer config virtualising different vtx ports if you have them but its not a problem.

Select  ok, find the play button which I think is control l and hit it.

you can also hit alt p to enter a menu to check settings for various things, enhanced board which you will never almost ever need, and other stuff.

I suggest you set your screenshots and snapshots folder at this point.

Note in the custom hardware cd page you can either select a physical drive or iso file as image.

The easiest is a physical drive.

Note with the exception of internal drives you can't use cd drive, camera and other things if they are being used by the virtual machine itself.

Vmware will prompt as you switch things about.

Remember control alt is to switch to host and control g to switch to guest system.

Now to your next bit, you can run nvda, but unfortunately unless it talks you will not be able to do much.

You will need sighted help to install windows7 probably.

10 is probably better because it will have speech.

You will have to set things up etc.

You should install the tools and then make a folder on your host system called shares, or shared, and then you can share things coppied to it to handle on another machine.

If you don't care for this, while its not that accessible you could use keybase directly or something else.

Its possible you will get cloud space with one of the major previders like google for shres and you could use that for crossplatform sharing.

Its also possible you will get a preconfigured machine with hardware, etc and everything created.

You could I guess ask if someone could configure the machine with your settings, nvda, etc and give it to you.

You will get a warning from vmware that you are importing.

Some more notes.

Do not have virtual pc platform, hyperviser and any microsoft hyper whatever its called I think its hyper v installed.

go to start search and type turn windows features on and off and make sure everything called hyper is unchecked as well as virtual pc.

If anything is and you need hyper v, then the machine will error out because vmware doesn't like it.

You need to turn that off in startup, to do this you need to edit the boot sector which gets more involved its easier not to have hyperv and vmware on the same system.

On 8/12/2020 6:56 am, molly the blind tech lover wrote:
[...]

It's complicated . . .
My professor created the account. He said to click on my account/orders and search for the license key there.
All I see is the serial number.
I don't know.
This is frustrating.

[...]

The serial number is the key, copy it and paste it into the field.

On 8/12/2020 7:24 am, molly the blind tech lover wrote:
[...]

Oh, ok.
Thank you.
Man, I feel like such an idiot lol.
My speech is so fast I probably didn't see it.
Thanks for all your help.