CHESSBASE

Stephen Thacker

Hello, I am Stephen Thacker but people may call me Steve. I have been an NVDA user for a while and have been having a few problems and I put this here for feeling I may fall fowl of the NVDA Usergroup rules.

A Guy from The Braillechess Egroup said Chessbase wouldn't work in any circumstances using the NVDA screenreader. I know this is a very technical maybe point but I really do need to be able to access my Chessbase and its databases using NVDA. Any thoughts anyone please and if necessary, direct meto a group where NVDA Technical issues are posted.

Kind regards, Steve

Steve,

It is permissible, on the main NVDA group, to inquire as to whether a given program is accessible using NVDA and, if so, if there are any tips, tricks, or add-ons that might make this easier.

It is not permissible to start diving into how to use any given program when those questions aren't really about NVDA, but the program itself.  A lot of people try to get around this by asking questions of the form, "How do I do {insert thing in a given program} using NVDA?"   For example, "How do I change the font to italic in MS-Word using NVDA?"  This is a question about how to do something in MS-Word, and the screen reader would not matter one bit, or even if you weren't using a screen reader and just wanted to know how to do it via the keyboard, the answer would be precisely the same.

So, it's fine to ask if Chessbase is accessible on the main group and whether there are any tips, tricks, or add-ons that make it easier to use with NVDA.  If the answer is, "No, it's not accessible?," you can throw out a request for anyone who might be interested to contact you about writing an add-on, but deep dives into add-on development are not really appropriate on the group, as it has an end-user focus, and add-on development is really not an "end user thing."

I'll also note that while it is not impossible that there might be someone, somewhere that is capable of doing add-on development that might be interested in an obscure program, I would never count on that.  There are not thousands of those technically able to develop NVDA add-ons and energies tend to be focused on programs and operating system functions that would have large numbers of users.

Best of luck with this pursuit.

The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.’

       ~ Isaac Asimov

Quentin Christensen

Hi Steve,

I haven't looked at it myself.  All I can tell you is that I don't have any correspondence about "chessbase" and I can't see it mentioned in the user group or in our GitHub issues.

If the person you spoke with didn't believe it would work with NVDA, how familiar were they with screenreaders etc?  In any case, the first (or next) people I'd be asking from here is the Chessbase people themselves.  More often than not, when someone encounters a program NVDA can't work with, the issue is in the way the program has been written rather than a "bug" in NVDA.  Even if there is a way for NVDA to work around a program's shortcomings, it is often more work than getting the program developers to address the issues themselves.

If you ask in the NVDA user group, the other thing you could get answers on, is other chess software which is accessible.  Depending on your exact need and situation, other software may be suitable.

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Stephen Thacker

Hi Quentin, it has to be that programme I’m afraid and John Gallagher said it would work with JAWS. I don’t ever want to use JAWS as I found it when I tried it before moving to NVDA too expensive and too awkward for what uses I had at the time and what uses I have now.

Cheers, Steve

[...]

ok well, if it works with Jaws, do you know if there is a Jaws script for it, or does Jaws work with it out of the box?

Have you tried it with NVDA?  If it works out of the box with Jaws, it may well work out of the box with NVDA.

And if it works with Jaws with a script, then it would be possible to make an add-on for NVDA, so that is an option (talking technically there, of course finding someone interested in making it may be a different issue, unless they are also interested in chess :))

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 8:46 PM Stephen Thacker <stephenthacker13@...> wrote:

[...]

Wouldn't hurt to experiment with Narrator to see what it can, or cannot, do in relation to Chessbase as well.

The poor wish to be rich, the rich wish to be happy, the single wish to be married, and the married wish to be dead.

       ~ Ann Landers