From: "David Russell" <david.sonofhashem@gmail.com>
To: chat@nvda.groups.io
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2020 10:03:29 -0500
Subject: [chat] Doing International Calls or Chat

Hello NVDA Chat,

Can someone here provide alternative ways for me to use my desktop
computer to do a call to someone living in the US but has an
international number?
The country code is Nigeria.
I do not have a cell phone plan that currently includes international calling.
I am totally blind, use NVDA, and not savvy about what is most
accessible and easy to use.
Right now we are private messaging each other on Facebook.
Thanks for the help.

--
David Russell
david.sonofhashem@gmail.com

Well, if said Nigerian who's living in the USA has a Google Account, I'd recommend asking them to get a Google Voice number, which is entirely free.

It will have a US area code of their choosing, and they can make from their computer or their smartphone using Google Voice to the USA and Canada at no cost.  Anyone can call that number from anywhere in the world, and if the call is free to the person dialing then both sides have no cost.

You can also text from a Google Voice number.

I do not know of any VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) service that's free that supports free calling worldwide.

You'd just call him or her on that number like you would anyone else in the USA.

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide

JM Casey

You can use skype. You do have to pay for international calling, but I believe the first month is free, so if you wanted to just unsubscribe before the time period has elapsed, you can certainly do that. The audio quality is excellent/far better than facebook calling in my opinion. Not sure about google but as suggested already, that's probably a good bet as well.

Can someone here provide alternative ways for me to use my desktop computer to do a call to someone living in the US but has an international number?
The country code is Nigeria.
I do not have a cell phone plan that currently includes international calling.
I am totally blind, use NVDA, and not savvy about what is most accessible and easy to use.
Right now we are private messaging each other on Facebook.
Thanks for the help.

--
David Russell
david.sonofhashem@gmail.com

Brian Tew

I talked with a guy in China using facebook messenger audio, so I think it is worldwide
audio and video chat.