DropBox advice

Ibrahim Abedrabbo

Hello folks,

I have been a dropBox user for many years. However, I lately encountered a problem I have not faced before.

I have Dropbox installed on my iPhone and iPad. I also used to have it installed on my laptop. However, after I reformatted my laptop, I tried to install DropBox on it again. I go through the installation fine until I get to a screen that gives me only three options, upgrade to dropbox plus, or delink devices, or log out. I can’t seem to make dropbox work as a normal folder on my desktop as it did in the past. Am I missing some information on the display that NVDA could not read? What do you think the problem is?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Ibrahim

BlindEducator

It sounds as if you have Drop Box basic and you have reached your limit of installations. If you just have a basic account with drop Box. Back in April of 2018 Drop Box stopped the unlimited activation of drop box on multiple devices. When having a basic account, you are limited to 3 activations of drop box. Sense you mentioned you have it on your iPhone, iPad, and computer. When you reformatted the hard drive. And activation is still current with drop box. You'll need to go into the website. and manage activations on your account. Disable all past machines you might of had leaving just your current iPad and iPhone. Then when you try logging into drop box on your newly formatted computer. Assuming it will be a 3rd activation. You won't have any issues. Hope this helps.

On Nov 13, 2020, at 7:34 AM, Ibrahim Abedrabbo <abedrabboibrahim@...> wrote:

Hello folks,
I have been a dropBox user for many years. However, I lately encountered a problem I have not faced before.
I have Dropbox installed on my iPhone and iPad. I also used to have it installed on my laptop. However, after I reformatted my laptop, I tried to install DropBox on it again. I go through the installation fine until I get to a screen that gives me only three options, upgrade to dropbox plus, or delink devices, or log out. I can’t seem to make dropbox work as a normal folder on my desktop as it did in the past. Am I missing some information on the display that NVDA could not read? What do you think the problem is?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Ibrahim

Dropbox had a lot of changes.

The free version only has 3 devices.

If you go to dropbox, login on the website, go to settings then security, there should be a page about devices.

Kill all the devices you are not using.

Dropbox will create devices but never checks them so you will have ghost devices that need to be killed.

Delete anything which hasn't been accessed in a while and that will be fine.

On 14/11/2020 4:34 am, Ibrahim Abedrabbo wrote:

Hello folks,

I have been a dropBox user for many years. However, I lately encountered a problem I have not faced before.

I have Dropbox installed on my iPhone and iPad. I also used to have it installed on my laptop. However, after I reformatted my laptop, I tried to install DropBox on it again. I go through the installation fine until I get to a screen that gives me only three options, upgrade to dropbox plus, or delink devices, or log out. I can’t seem to make dropbox work as a normal folder on my desktop as it did in the past. Am I missing some information on the display that NVDA could not read? What do you think the problem is?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Ibrahim

Ibrahim Abedrabbo

Thanks to all of you who replied to my call for help. Your suggestion worked and now drop box basic is restored to my laptop. It was extremely challenging to find the settings using the drop box website on my pc. I found it much easier to do what you guys suggested on my iPad. That is how I finally managed to delete all old devices and make room for my pc.

Cheers,

Ibrahim

[...]

Dave Grossoehme

Good Day:  The question here is how many machines have you had Drop Box on?  The reason for this question, is because Drop Box keeps track of how many computers you have used it with.  You may have to go into your account and unselect a computer that you aren't using Drop Box with now.  This could go back to a prior computer that you aren't using anymore.

Dave