Dropbox alert changes?

Brian's Mail list account

For many years now Dropbox has alerted as files change by other users shared with you. Recently, this seems to have stopped. anyone else noticed this? I don't think its nvda, but I had it set up so sound themes gave a kind of twing noise over to the right, followed by the alert text if I let it. Now nothing.

Brian

--
bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.(Virgin media)
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

Oh, its looking more serious now. There is something called tray assistant opening where there used to be a menu, so all of the configurations are now unreachable from there. One would have to log on to the online version to do anything. This tray assistant appears empty to nvda from what I can see.
Maybe the writer of the dropbox add on has some notion?
Brian

--
bglists@...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian's Mail list account via groups.io" <bglists@...>
To: <chat@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, June 18, 2022 11:37 AM
Subject: [chat] Dropbox alert changes?

For many years now Dropbox has alerted as files change by other users shared
with you. Recently, this seems to have stopped. anyone else noticed this? I
don't think its nvda, but I had it set up so sound themes gave a kind of
twing noise over to the right, followed by the alert text if I let it. Now
nothing.

Brian

--
bglists@...

Howard Traxler

When I tried to install dropbox on a machine, it told me that I have too many devices and that I can only have three.  Does it mean actual hardware devices like computers and phones, etc?  Or does it mean the number of folders I am sharing with other devices?  If it's actual machines, I don't need more than two.  But I can't find a place on the dropbox site where I can remove devices; and I don't want to delete any folders.  Help?

Thank you.
Howard

On 6/18/2022 5:43 AM, Brian's Mail list account via groups.io wrote:
Oh, its looking more serious now. There is something called tray assistant opening where there used to be a menu, so all of the configurations are now unreachable from there. One would have to log on to the online version to do anything. This tray assistant appears empty to nvda from what I can see.
Brian
--
Confidentiality Notice:
This communication is deemed privileged and confidential and is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

Gene

That is not true.  Tray assistant is accessible.  It is differently organized but you can move around it with the arrow keys or the tab keys.  I haven't used it enough to say which is the better way to move around it but it may be that tabbing and shift tabbing may be the best way to move in the general categories and up and down arrowing may be the best way inside a category.  for example, once you have opened settings, up and down arrow may be a better or perhaps the only way to move except for first letter navigation.  And for first letter navigation, you need to turn off browse mode in NVDA to move in that way if it doesn't automatically turn off. 

Experiment.   I believe the main categories are buttons and you open them with the space bar. 

Gene

Brian

Gene

None of which is to say that I think tray assistant is as good an interface.  I can't comment on how it is for a sighted person but I find it verbose and not nearly as well and compactly organized as the old one.  Why is quit in settings.  That makes no sense.  Quit isn't a setting, it is an action,  In the old interface, it was in the main menu where it should be. 

Maybe programmers and ingterface designers should be required to take a short course in logic and categorical thinking.  Such a change reflects illogical thought.

Gene
On 6/18/2022 10:04 AM, Gene wrote:

That is not true.  Tray assistant is accessible.  It is differently organized but you can move around it with the arrow keys or the tab keys.  I haven't used it enough to say which is the better way to move around it but it may be that tabbing and shift tabbing may be the best way to move in the general categories and up and down arrowing may be the best way inside a category.  for example, once you have opened settings, up and down arrow may be a better or perhaps the only way to move except for first letter navigation.  And for first letter navigation, you need to turn off browse mode in NVDA to move in that way if it doesn't automatically turn off. 

Experiment.   I believe the main categories are buttons and you open them with the space bar. 

Gene
Brian

Well, I forget.

You need to manage your account.

One annoying thing dropbox has is well that its like utterly screwy when you say have to say reload windows.

You may have several things.

The free account allows you 3 devices before you need to pay.

You may have 3 devices connected or you have a lot of ghosts because dropbox doesn't clear itself.

I wrote back ages and ages ago how to clear it but ever since upgrading his system my dad, the final dropbox user here has switched all his stuff to google cloud.

My aunt and myself use it but none of us has needed to reformat in ages so who knows.

Its more than likely though that eventually if I really get serious with the cloud I will be increasing my google subscription to well whatever.

The main drawback is the google drive app itself though its semi web.

The good point is just like keybase its got a drive.

Being the client and website have not change in god ages it just works.

On 18/06/2022 11:59 pm, Howard Traxler wrote:
When I tried to install dropbox on a machine, it told me that I have too many devices and that I can only have three.  Does it mean actual hardware devices like computers and phones, etc?  Or does it mean the number of folders I am sharing with other devices?  If it's actual machines, I don't need more than two.  But I can't find a place on the dropbox site where I can remove devices; and I don't want to delete any folders.  Help?

Thank you.
Howard

Brian

Richard Wells

If you use the context menu, all of Dropbox preferences are still available.

On 6/18/2022 2:30 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
Well, I forget.

One annoying thing dropbox has is well that its like utterly screwy
when you say have to say reload windows.

You may have 3 devices connected or you have a lot of ghosts because
dropbox doesn't clear itself.

I wrote back ages and ages ago how to clear it but ever since
upgrading his system my dad, the final dropbox user here has switched
all his stuff to google cloud.

My aunt and myself use it but none of us has needed to reformat in
ages so who knows.

Its more than likely though that eventually if I really get serious
with the cloud I will be increasing my google subscription to well
whatever.

When I tried to install dropbox on a machine, it told me that I have
too many devices and that I can only have three.  Does it mean actual
hardware devices like computers and phones, etc?  Or does it mean the
number of folders I am sharing with other devices?  If it's actual
machines, I don't need more than two.  But I can't find a place on
the dropbox site where I can remove devices; and I don't want to
delete any folders.  Help?

Thank you.
Howard

Oh, its looking more serious now. There is something called tray
assistant opening where there used to be a menu, so all of the
configurations are now unreachable from there. One would have to log
on to the online version to do anything. This tray assistant appears
empty to nvda from what I can see.
Brian

Howard Traxler

But from what point should I execute the context menu??

On 6/18/2022 4:21 PM, Richard Wells wrote:

Well, I forget.

ages so who knows.

whatever.

Thank you.
Howard

Brian

--
Confidentiality Notice:
This communication is deemed privileged and confidential and is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

Gene

I don't know what is meant by context menu by the writer.  Opening the tray assistant is not a context menu.  You can't tab through menus and in my working with the interface, tabbing or shift tabbing is generally the best way to move through the items.  But if you up or down arrow at times, you may find this or that you won't find by tabbing or shift tabbing.  Also, if all you do is up or down arrow, it appears you won't see a lot of things you will by tabbing.  The interface seems to be designed in such a way that, unless you can see it, you can't move through it in a single way and see everything.  It is therefore, not properly accessible.  As I said, or more or less said, it appears to me that you see far more of the important things you will probably want to work with by tabbing and shift tabbingtg to move through this part of the interface. 

These are not menu items.  You don't tab or shift tab through menus.  Use the space bar to activate them. 
Once you activate something, like settings, you are in a menu.  Menu item is announced every time you move to another item.  Use the up and down arrows to move through the menu and enter to open an item.  But these are not context menus.  They are just menus.

The interface has changed significantly.  Look through it at what interests you or if you can't find something, look in different places to see if you can.  Quit is in settings.  As I said earlier, quit is not a setting and shouldn't be there.  Yet the design geniuses at Dropbox put it there.  Quit is a behavior, not a setting, yet the only way I found it was to search where it shouldn't be, to just look around.

Gene
On 6/18/2022 6:34 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:

Well, I forget.

ages so who knows.

whatever.

Thank you.
Howard

Brian

Luke Davis

Howard Traxler wrote:

When I tried to install dropbox on a machine, it told me that I have too many devices and that I can only have three.  Does it mean actual hardware devices like computers and phones, etc?
It means what it says. You have too many devices on your account that are accessing your Dropbox root folder. Free accounts can only have three.

I can't remember where you can go to remove old devices from your account, but as you might expect, approximately six seconds on Google resulted in this:

https://blog.dropbox.com/topics/work-culture/how-to-unlink-a-device-from-your-dropbox

Luke

Gene

I should point out that I am discussing opening the tray assistant by using the space bar or the context menu key.  I'm not sure of this, I'd have to look at the interface more, but it appears that space bar and the context menu key both do the same thing when used on the Drop Box icon.  If you press enter, it appears the Dropbox window is opened, the same window you open by pressing enter on Dropbox on the desktop, where you see your files and folders.

Gene

On 6/18/2022 7:02 PM, Gene wrote:

I don't know what is meant by context menu by the writer.  Opening the tray assistant is not a context menu.  You can't tab through menus and in my working with the interface, tabbing or shift tabbing is generally the best way to move through the items.  But if you up or down arrow at times, you may find this or that you won't find by tabbing or shift tabbing.  Also, if all you do is up or down arrow, it appears you won't see a lot of things you will by tabbing.  The interface seems to be designed in such a way that, unless you can see it, you can't move through it in a single way and see everything.  It is therefore, not properly accessible.  As I said, or more or less said, it appears to me that you see far more of the important things you will probably want to work with by tabbing and shift tabbingtg to move through this part of the interface. 

These are not menu items.  You don't tab or shift tab through menus.  Use the space bar to activate them. 
Once you activate something, like settings, you are in a menu.  Menu item is announced every time you move to another item.  Use the up and down arrows to move through the menu and enter to open an item.  But these are not context menus.  They are just menus.

The interface has changed significantly.  Look through it at what interests you or if you can't find something, look in different places to see if you can.  Quit is in settings.  As I said earlier, quit is not a setting and shouldn't be there.  Yet the design geniuses at Dropbox put it there.  Quit is a behavior, not a setting, yet the only way I found it was to search where it shouldn't be, to just look around.

Gene

Well, I forget.

ages so who knows.

whatever.

Thank you.
Howard

Brian

Richard Wells

As soon as focus is on the system tray icon, press applications-key or
SHIFT+F10. You will see more options than you ever have before.

If you use the context menu, all of Dropbox preferences are still
available.

Well, I forget.

ages so who knows.

whatever.

Thank you.
Howard

Brian

Howard Traxler

Thank you Luke.  I think I'm notquite the google searcher that you and others are.  I never would have figured out how to get such a specific result.  It looks like it's gonna be what I need.  But still:  Are my friend's addresses who are linked to specific sub-folders in the main dropbox folder considered devices and must I have three or les?  For years I've been showing seven or eight sub-folders and it's always worked.  That tells me that those people are not devices.
Howard

On 6/18/2022 7:18 PM, Luke Davis wrote:
Howard Traxler wrote:

When I tried to install dropbox on a machine, it told me that I have too many devices and that I can only have three.  Does it mean actual hardware devices like computers and phones, etc?
It means what it says. You have too many devices on your account that are accessing your Dropbox root folder. Free accounts can only have three.

I can't remember where you can go to remove old devices from your account, but as you might expect, approximately six seconds on Google resulted in this:

https://blog.dropbox.com/topics/work-culture/how-to-unlink-a-device-from-your-dropbox

Luke

--
Confidentiality Notice:

Howard Traxler

I've never heard of this.  I'd like to get a look at this "tray assistant".  How does one access it using windows 10 and NVDA  22.1?
Howard

On 6/18/2022 7:22 PM, Gene wrote:
I should point out that I am discussing opening the tray assistant by using the space bar or the context menu key.  I'm not sure of this, I'd have to look at the interface more, but it appears that space bar and the context menu key both do the same thing when used on the Drop Box icon.  If you press enter, it appears the Dropbox window is opened, the same window you open by pressing enter on Dropbox on the desktop, where you see your files and folders.

Gene

Gene

Well, I forget.

ages so who knows.

whatever.

Thank you.
Howard

Brian

-- 
Confidentiality Notice:

Gene

Have you gone to the Dropbox icon in the system tray before and pressed the space bar on it?  Do the same thing now.  The tray assistant has replaced what Dropbox used to display.

You must use the actual system tray, not the system tray dialog your screen-reader may provide.  If you don't know how to get to the actual system tray, ask.

Gene

On 6/19/2022 1:25 AM, Howard Traxler wrote:

I've never heard of this.  I'd like to get a look at this "tray assistant".  How does one access it using windows 10 and NVDA  22.1?
Howard

On 6/18/2022 7:22 PM, Gene wrote:

Gene

Gene

Well, I forget.

ages so who knows.

whatever.

Thank you.
Howard

Brian

-- 
Confidentiality Notice:

Luke Davis

Howard Traxler wrote:

Are my friend's addresses who are linked to specific sub-folders in the main dropbox folder considered devices and must I have three or les? 
Their devices are connected to their accounts. You have no way of knowing how many devices each of them has, so there's no way Dropbox would count those devices on your account.

Consider, if you invited someone who already had three devices on his account to participate in a folder: if Dropbox thought of those devices as connected to your account, you wouldn't be able to share the folder to him, because then you'd have four devices right out of the gate.

So no, it's only looking at how many actual devices you personally have signed into your account.

Luke

Its the hardware. You can have more than three, but not all on at the same time. Its all part of them trying to get you to pay them money. I cannot say I blame them, as its a bit like offering a free phone line and then wondering why everyone overuses the privilege and jams up the bandwidth.
However I'm more interested in this break in accessibility myself. as it was great before for changing parameters completely off line without faffing about in the web sit. The beauty of Dropbox has always been its seamless interface with explore

Brian

--
bglists@...

Sent: Saturday, June 18, 2022 12:59 PM
Subject: Re: [chat] Dropbox alert changes?

When I tried to install dropbox on a machine, it told me that I have too many devices and that I can only have three. Does it mean actual hardware devices like computers and phones, etc? Or does it mean the number of folders I am sharing with other devices? If it's actual machines, I don't need more than two. But I can't find a place on the dropbox site where I can remove devices; and I don't want to delete any folders. Help?

Thank you.
Howard

Brian
--
Confidentiality Notice:

Not that I can see, not without going on line at least. Maybe one of its updates has screwed up and why have they removed alerts that can be detected by the screenreader?
Brian

--
bglists@...

Sent: Saturday, June 18, 2022 10:21 PM

Well, I forget.

ages so who knows.

whatever.

too many devices and that I can only have three. Does it mean actual
hardware devices like computers and phones, etc? Or does it mean the
number of folders I am sharing with other devices? If it's actual
machines, I don't need more than two. But I can't find a place on
delete any folders. Help?

Thank you.
Howard

Brian

Well, for no apparent reason they changed it then put it out before complete testing was done. Apart from a bland accessibility statement on their web site there is no actual way for a free user to report such cock ups and there should in my view definitely be one, as nobody is going to want to shell out dosh for the program which has inaccessible elements at random.
I noticed recently that Ccleaner has managed to make nearly all of its new functions very difficult or to use. They know what needs to be done as they already did it on n the old version so another company not going to get my money.
Then there is TEam Viewer, what can I say a total mess.

We really do need some international law with teeth about accessibility and the training of software engineers on how important it is to get it right at the start.
Sorry for the rant.
Brian

--
bglists@...

Sent: Sunday, June 19, 2022 1:02 AM

I don't know what is meant by context menu by the writer. Opening the
tray assistant is not a context menu. You can't tab through menus and
in my working with the interface, tabbing or shift tabbing is generally
the best way to move through the items. But if you up or down arrow at
times, you may find this or that you won't find by tabbing or shift
tabbing. Also, if all you do is up or down arrow, it appears you won't
see a lot of things you will by tabbing. The interface seems to be
designed in such a way that, unless you can see it, you can't move
through it in a single way and see everything. It is therefore, not
properly accessible. As I said, or more or less said, it appears to me
that you see far more of the important things you will probably want to
work with by tabbing and shift tabbingtg to move through this part of
the interface.

These are not menu items. You don't tab or shift tab through menus.
Use the space bar to activate them.
Once you activate something, like settings, you are in a menu. Menu
item is announced every time you move to another item. Use the up and
down arrows to move through the menu and enter to open an item. But
these are not context menus. They are just menus.

The interface has changed significantly. Look through it at what
interests you or if you can't find something, look in different places
to see if you can. Quit is in settings. As I said earlier, quit is not
a setting and shouldn't be there. Yet the design geniuses at Dropbox
put it there. Quit is a behavior, not a setting, yet the only way I
found it was to search where it shouldn't be, to just look around.

Gene

available.

Well, I forget.

ages so who knows.

whatever.

Thank you.
Howard

Brian

I can only get it to do anything with space myself. Not figured out anything yet since tab just says nothing or bottom.
Brian

--
bglists@...

Sent: Sunday, June 19, 2022 1:22 AM

I should point out that I am discussing opening the tray assistant by
using the space bar or the context menu key. I'm not sure of this, I'd
have to look at the interface more, but it appears that space bar and
the context menu key both do the same thing when used on the Drop Box
icon. If you press enter, it appears the Dropbox window is opened, the
same window you open by pressing enter on Dropbox on the desktop, where
you see your files and folders.

Gene

I don't know what is meant by context menu by the writer. Opening the
tray assistant is not a context menu. You can't tab through menus and
in my working with the interface, tabbing or shift tabbing is
generally the best way to move through the items. But if you up or
down arrow at times, you may find this or that you won't find by
tabbing or shift tabbing. Also, if all you do is up or down arrow, it
appears you won't see a lot of things you will by tabbing. The
interface seems to be designed in such a way that, unless you can see
it, you can't move through it in a single way and see everything. It
is therefore, not properly accessible. As I said, or more or less
said, it appears to me that you see far more of the important things
you will probably want to work with by tabbing and shift tabbingtg to
move through this part of the interface.

These are not menu items. You don't tab or shift tab through menus.
Use the space bar to activate them.
Once you activate something, like settings, you are in a menu. Menu
item is announced every time you move to another item. Use the up and
down arrows to move through the menu and enter to open an item. But
these are not context menus. They are just menus.

The interface has changed significantly. Look through it at what
interests you or if you can't find something, look in different places
to see if you can. Quit is in settings. As I said earlier, quit is
not a setting and shouldn't be there. Yet the design geniuses at
Dropbox put it there. Quit is a behavior, not a setting, yet the only
way I found it was to search where it shouldn't be, to just look around.

Gene

available.

Well, I forget.

ages so who knows.

whatever.

Being the client and website have not change in god ages it just
works.

Thank you.
Howard

Brian