Dropbox alert changes? and now system tray

Howard Traxler

I guess that's what I was asking but I don't make myself clear.  Is there a shortcut key to get to the system tray?  It seems like I've been there; but only by accident.
Howard

On 6/19/2022 1:36 AM, Gene wrote:
Have you gone to the Dropbox icon in the system tray before and pressed the space bar on it?  Do the same thing now.  The tray assistant has replaced what Dropbox used to display.

You must use the actual system tray, not the system tray dialog your screen-reader may provide.  If you don't know how to get to the actual system tray, ask.

Gene

On 6/19/2022 1:25 AM, Howard Traxler wrote:
I've never heard of this.  I'd like to get a look at this "tray assistant".  How does one access it using windows 10 and NVDA  22.1?
Howard

On 6/18/2022 7:22 PM, Gene wrote:
I should point out that I am discussing opening the tray assistant by using the space bar or the context menu key.  I'm not sure of this, I'd have to look at the interface more, but it appears that space bar and the context menu key both do the same thing when used on the Drop Box icon.  If you press enter, it appears the Dropbox window is opened, the same window you open by pressing enter on Dropbox on the desktop, where you see your files and folders.

Gene

On 6/18/2022 7:02 PM, Gene wrote:
I don't know what is meant by context menu by the writer.  Opening the tray assistant is not a context menu.  You can't tab through menus and in my working with the interface, tabbing or shift tabbing is generally the best way to move through the items.  But if you up or down arrow at times, you may find this or that you won't find by tabbing or shift tabbing.  Also, if all you do is up or down arrow, it appears you won't see a lot of things you will by tabbing.  The interface seems to be designed in such a way that, unless you can see it, you can't move through it in a single way and see everything.  It is therefore, not properly accessible.  As I said, or more or less said, it appears to me that you see far more of the important things you will probably want to work with by tabbing and shift tabbingtg to move through this part of the interface. 

These are not menu items.  You don't tab or shift tab through menus.  Use the space bar to activate them. 
Once you activate something, like settings, you are in a menu.  Menu item is announced every time you move to another item.  Use the up and down arrows to move through the menu and enter to open an item.  But these are not context menus.  They are just menus.

The interface has changed significantly.  Look through it at what interests you or if you can't find something, look in different places to see if you can.  Quit is in settings.  As I said earlier, quit is not a setting and shouldn't be there.  Yet the design geniuses at Dropbox put it there.  Quit is a behavior, not a setting, yet the only way I found it was to search where it shouldn't be, to just look around.

Gene
On 6/18/2022 6:34 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
But from what point should I execute the context menu??

On 6/18/2022 4:21 PM, Richard Wells wrote:
If you use the context menu, all of Dropbox preferences are still available.

On 6/18/2022 2:30 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
Well, I forget.

You need to manage your account.

One annoying thing dropbox has is well that its like utterly screwy
when you say have to say reload windows.

You may have several things.

The free account allows you 3 devices before you need to pay.

You may have 3 devices connected or you have a lot of ghosts because
dropbox doesn't clear itself.

I wrote back ages and ages ago how to clear it but ever since
upgrading his system my dad, the final dropbox user here has switched
all his stuff to google cloud.

My aunt and myself use it but none of us has needed to reformat in
ages so who knows.

Its more than likely though that eventually if I really get serious
with the cloud I will be increasing my google subscription to well
whatever.

The main drawback is the google drive app itself though its semi web.

The good point is just like keybase its got a drive.

Being the client and website have not change in god ages it just works.

On 18/06/2022 11:59 pm, Howard Traxler wrote:
When I tried to install dropbox on a machine, it told me that I have
too many devices and that I can only have three.  Does it mean actual
hardware devices like computers and phones, etc?  Or does it mean the
number of folders I am sharing with other devices?  If it's actual
machines, I don't need more than two.  But I can't find a place on
the dropbox site where I can remove devices; and I don't want to
delete any folders.  Help?

Thank you.
Howard

On 6/18/2022 5:43 AM, Brian's Mail list account via groups.io wrote:
Oh, its looking more serious now. There is something called tray
assistant opening where there used to be a menu, so all of the
configurations are now unreachable from there. One would have to log
on to the online version to do anything. This tray assistant appears
empty to nvda from what I can see.
Maybe the writer of the dropbox add on has some notion?
Brian

-- 
Confidentiality Notice:
This communication is deemed privileged and confidential and is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

-- 
Confidentiality Notice:
This communication is deemed privileged and confidential and is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

Gene

One way to get to it is with the command Windows key b.  You can move with the arrow keys or with first letter navigation.

Gene

On 6/19/2022 1:41 AM, Howard Traxler wrote:

I guess that's what I was asking but I don't make myself clear.  Is there a shortcut key to get to the system tray?  It seems like I've been there; but only by accident.
Howard

Have you gone to the Dropbox icon in the system tray before and pressed the space bar on it?  Do the same thing now.  The tray assistant has replaced what Dropbox used to display.

You must use the actual system tray, not the system tray dialog your screen-reader may provide.  If you don't know how to get to the actual system tray, ask.

Gene

I've never heard of this.  I'd like to get a look at this "tray assistant".  How does one access it using windows 10 and NVDA  22.1?
Howard

I should point out that I am discussing opening the tray assistant by using the space bar or the context menu key.  I'm not sure of this, I'd have to look at the interface more, but it appears that space bar and the context menu key both do the same thing when used on the Drop Box icon.  If you press enter, it appears the Dropbox window is opened, the same window you open by pressing enter on Dropbox on the desktop, where you see your files and folders.

Gene

I don't know what is meant by context menu by the writer.  Opening the tray assistant is not a context menu.  You can't tab through menus and in my working with the interface, tabbing or shift tabbing is generally the best way to move through the items.  But if you up or down arrow at times, you may find this or that you won't find by tabbing or shift tabbing.  Also, if all you do is up or down arrow, it appears you won't see a lot of things you will by tabbing.  The interface seems to be designed in such a way that, unless you can see it, you can't move through it in a single way and see everything.  It is therefore, not properly accessible.  As I said, or more or less said, it appears to me that you see far more of the important things you will probably want to work with by tabbing and shift tabbingtg to move through this part of the interface. 

These are not menu items.  You don't tab or shift tab through menus.  Use the space bar to activate them. 
Once you activate something, like settings, you are in a menu.  Menu item is announced every time you move to another item.  Use the up and down arrows to move through the menu and enter to open an item.  But these are not context menus.  They are just menus.

The interface has changed significantly.  Look through it at what interests you or if you can't find something, look in different places to see if you can.  Quit is in settings.  As I said earlier, quit is not a setting and shouldn't be there.  Yet the design geniuses at Dropbox put it there.  Quit is a behavior, not a setting, yet the only way I found it was to search where it shouldn't be, to just look around.

Gene

Well, I forget.

ages so who knows.

whatever.

Thank you.
Howard

Brian

-- 
Confidentiality Notice:

-- 
Confidentiality Notice:

Howard Traxler

Thank you Gene.  I found it.  Wow! there is more stuff in this computer than I ever imagined.  More to confuse me.
Howard

On 6/19/2022 1:48 AM, Gene wrote:
One way to get to it is with the command Windows key b.  You can move with the arrow keys or with first letter navigation.

Gene

Howard

Gene

Howard

Gene

Gene

Well, I forget.

ages so who knows.

whatever.

Thank you.
Howard

Brian

-- 
Confidentiality Notice:

-- 
Confidentiality Notice:

-- 
Confidentiality Notice:

Brian's Mail list account

Actually Windows is good in one way, there are nearly always several ways to get to and do things with said items. Sometimes one is faster and sometimes another is.Thank good ness most tray icons have stopped opening on mouse hover, as Intell items used to which confused the heck out of people.
Brian

--
bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.(Virgin media)
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <chat@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, June 19, 2022 8:07 AM
Subject: Re: [chat] Dropbox alert changes? and now system tray

Thank you Gene. I found it. Wow! there is more stuff in this computer
than I ever imagined. More to confuse me.
Howard

On 6/19/2022 1:48 AM, Gene wrote:
One way to get to it is with the command Windows key b. You can move
with the arrow keys or with first letter navigation.

Gene

I guess that's what I was asking but I don't make myself clear. Is
there a shortcut key to get to the system tray? It seems like I've
been there; but only by accident.
Howard

Have you gone to the Dropbox icon in the system tray before and
pressed the space bar on it? Do the same thing now. The tray
assistant has replaced what Dropbox used to display.

You must use the actual system tray, not the system tray dialog your
screen-reader may provide. If you don't know how to get to the
actual system tray, ask.

Gene

I've never heard of this. I'd like to get a look at this "tray
assistant". How does one access it using windows 10 and NVDA 22.1?
Howard

I should point out that I am discussing opening the tray assistant
by using the space bar or the context menu key. I'm not sure of
this, I'd have to look at the interface more, but it appears that
space bar and the context menu key both do the same thing when
used on the Drop Box icon. If you press enter, it appears the
Dropbox window is opened, the same window you open by pressing
enter on Dropbox on the desktop, where you see your files and folders.

Gene

I don't know what is meant by context menu by the writer.
Opening the tray assistant is not a context menu. You can't tab
through menus and in my working with the interface, tabbing or
shift tabbing is generally the best way to move through the
items. But if you up or down arrow at times, you may find this
or that you won't find by tabbing or shift tabbing. Also, if all
you do is up or down arrow, it appears you won't see a lot of
things you will by tabbing. The interface seems to be designed
in such a way that, unless you can see it, you can't move through
it in a single way and see everything. It is therefore, not
properly accessible. As I said, or more or less said, it appears
to me that you see far more of the important things you will
probably want to work with by tabbing and shift tabbingtg to move
through this part of the interface.

These are not menu items. You don't tab or shift tab through
menus. Use the space bar to activate them.
Once you activate something, like settings, you are in a menu.
Menu item is announced every time you move to another item. Use
the up and down arrows to move through the menu and enter to open
an item. But these are not context menus. They are just menus.

The interface has changed significantly. Look through it at what
interests you or if you can't find something, look in different
places to see if you can. Quit is in settings. As I said
earlier, quit is not a setting and shouldn't be there. Yet the
design geniuses at Dropbox put it there. Quit is a behavior, not
a setting, yet the only way I found it was to search where it
shouldn't be, to just look around.

Gene

If you use the context menu, all of Dropbox preferences are
still available.

Well, I forget.

One annoying thing dropbox has is well that its like utterly
screwy

You may have 3 devices connected or you have a lot of ghosts
because

upgrading his system my dad, the final dropbox user here has
switched

My aunt and myself use it but none of us has needed to
reformat in
ages so who knows.

Its more than likely though that eventually if I really get
serious
with the cloud I will be increasing my google subscription to
well
whatever.

The main drawback is the google drive app itself though its
semi web.

Being the client and website have not change in god ages it
just works.

When I tried to install dropbox on a machine, it told me that
I have
too many devices and that I can only have three. Does it
mean actual
hardware devices like computers and phones, etc? Or does it
mean the
number of folders I am sharing with other devices? If it's
actual
machines, I don't need more than two. But I can't find a
place on
delete any folders. Help?

Thank you.
Howard

On 6/18/2022 5:43 AM, Brian's Mail list account via groups.io
wrote:
Oh, its looking more serious now. There is something called
tray
configurations are now unreachable from there. One would
have to log
on to the online version to do anything. This tray assistant
appears
Brian

--
Confidentiality Notice:
--
Confidentiality Notice:
--
Confidentiality Notice: