Getting Tight Control over the Messages You Receive on Any Groups.io group

Since the NVDA chat group is almost certain to run a wide gamut of content that will not be of interest to any random member of this group, you would be well advised to review the following:

Controlling the Messages You Receive via E-Mail from Groups.io (docx)

Controlling the Messages You Receive via E-Mail from Groups.io  (PDF)

On high-traffic groups or even relatively low-traffic groups where your interest in any given thread might be limited, it makes sense to use the "Following Only" and "First Message Also" features together, so you get the first message in any given topic, but will only get additional ones if you choose to follow it.   Think of these two used together as a "Topic Preview" feature that gives you the ultimate control over whether you'll see anything beyond the first post unless you choose to do so.

molly the blind tech lover

actually i have a question about the chat group.
should we just stick to discussing NVDA? i went off topic... again.

On Mon, Mar 4, 2019, 10:08 PM Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
Since the NVDA chat group is almost certain to run a wide gamut of content that will not be of interest to any random member of this group, you would be well advised to review the following:

On high-traffic groups or even relatively low-traffic groups where your interest in any given thread might be limited, it makes sense to use the "Following Only" and "First Message Also" features together, so you get the first message in any given topic, but will only get additional ones if you choose to follow it.   Think of these two used together as a "Topic Preview" feature that gives you the ultimate control over whether you'll see anything beyond the first post unless you choose to do so.

The chat group is pretty much the "Group for any topic that's not about using NVDA or controlling NVDA that you feel like discussing with the other members of the chat group."   It's whole purpose for being is to allow discussion of any topic among members of the community that is not NVDA focused.  They can be technical questions regarding other programs (where they focus on the program itself, not using NVDA with it), chatting with your friends about whatever you wish to chat about, etc.

There is virtually no restriction on topics except that they must be suitable for polite mixed company when that mix is composed of adults.

This is the main reason I started this very topic, because there are guaranteed to be lots of topics that may be of zero interest to any given participant here.  This is also true on many high-traffic groups where a member may have interest in only a very specific subset of what gets discussed there, even if everything is "on topic" for the group as a whole.

Groups.io allows a virtually unprecedented degree of control by the user over not only the format of the information they receive, but also whether they receive it at all.  I encourage folks to read through how you can do that, because it could be very handy for any group on Groups.io you might subscribe to.

Kwork

Um, no. That's for the main group. Being that this is the chat, it's more of an anything goes policy as long as nobody gets mean about it. That's my feeling anyway.

Travis

On 3/4/2019 8:19 PM, molly the blind tech lover wrote:

Oh, okay

From: chat@nvda.groups.io <chat@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kwork
Sent: Monday, March 4, 2019 10:40 PM
To: chat@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [chat] Getting Tight Control over the Messages You Receive on Any Groups.io group

Um, no. That's for the main group. Being that this is the chat, it's more of an anything goes policy as long as nobody gets mean about it. That's my feeling anyway.

Travis

On 3/4/2019 8:19 PM, molly the blind tech lover wrote:

I understand. Thanks

From: chat@nvda.groups.io <chat@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Monday, March 4, 2019 10:32 PM
To: chat@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [chat] Getting Tight Control over the Messages You Receive on Any Groups.io group

The chat group is pretty much the "Group for any topic that's not about using NVDA or controlling NVDA that you feel like discussing with the other members of the chat group."   It's whole purpose for being is to allow discussion of any topic among members of the community that is not NVDA focused.  They can be technical questions regarding other programs (where they focus on the program itself, not using NVDA with it), chatting with your friends about whatever you wish to chat about, etc.

There is virtually no restriction on topics except that they must be suitable for polite mixed company when that mix is composed of adults.

This is the main reason I started this very topic, because there are guaranteed to be lots of topics that may be of zero interest to any given participant here.  This is also true on many high-traffic groups where a member may have interest in only a very specific subset of what gets discussed there, even if everything is "on topic" for the group as a whole.

Groups.io allows a virtually unprecedented degree of control by the user over not only the format of the information they receive, but also whether they receive it at all.  I encourage folks to read through how you can do that, because it could be very handy for any group on Groups.io you might subscribe to.