good field recorder

Hi all.

What is a good field recorder to use.

I have been using soni icd recorders for some time.

Every year or 2 I have been going on trips with the family.

I have always had a computer close for transfer.

My best unit was an icd sx35 with accessible software but thats old and dead now.

I have been thinking seriously about replacing the unit with something that talks.

I want to use the recorder for mainly field recording.

Mp3 is fine, I don't need wav or anything higher.

Do all current olympus recorders have voice guides and how good are they.

Can all of these take a lanyard.

My current lookings are the ws853 which is an 8gb recorder.

That would probably do me.

I am interested in daisy playback and I know that the dm series did do this.

My other plan is the dm720, this looks good as well and I can get it reasonably priced locally.

Bar speech, and sd card capability the biggest thing I need is a recorder that can take a lanyard.

All my units can take this.

There is the electronix unit but you can't buy that outside the us at least not that I saw.

Then there is the microspeak pluss but there are bad reviews about it.

I have not needed to look at one of these for a number of years now, but for many years when I did Olympus was, by far and away, my favorite, particularly where accessibility was a priority.

I have no idea which makes or models might have a built-in slot and bar for a lanyard, but adding such externally with a bit of epoxy and a small ring and eye is an option if you find one without such that you really like.

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide

Hi brian.

Hmm well I found the local distribution company so I will ring them tomorrow.

I don't need mega power but from the local distributer the ws 853 is 180 and the dm 720 is 240, and both are within my price range.

I may have to buy a high powered micro sd 32gb card for secondary storage but still olympus is what I am aiming at.

Its accessible but its still mainstream.