Phonetics.

farhan israk

I am a student of BA in English. I have a course of phonetics and phonology. Study metarial of this course is not accessible. Where can I get accessible study metarial?

Giles Turnbull

Hello farhan. when I studied for my MA in creative writing at Swansea
University in the UK, there was a transcription centre associated with
the disability team. With any course material that was not available
in electronic format that I could read with NVDA, they would contact
the publisher to request a PDF file; if the publisher didn't respond
they would order a copy of the book (if it wasn't already in the
library) and then scan it and run it through optical character
recognition for me.

However, if there are graphical symbols used to indicate certain
phonetic aspects or phonology markings, then there's probably nothing
you can do to enable NVDA to speak them.

I would expect that if I had had something like that on my course, I
would have asked if the transcription centre could make me a text
version of the book, and that they also record audio descriptions of a
couple of sentences before the symbol, and then explain what the
symbol looks like and its official name.

If you are likely to have examinations that might include such
symbols, the disability transcription centre would also need to make
sure that the exam questions are suitably described.

I don't know if the information on this webpage relates only to people
living in America (I lived in America for 5 years though not as a
student), but it talks about some of the options for finding
accessible copies of books for visually impaired people:
https://www.afb.org/aw/18/7/15196

Best of luck with your studies :)

Giles

On 12/8/20, farhan israk <fahim.net.2014@gmail.com> wrote:
I am a student of BA in English. I have a course of phonetics and
phonology. Study metarial of this course is not accessible. Where can I get
accessible study metarial?

soloman s

Dear Farhan,
To get you started, I suggest you head on to
A PRACTICAL INTRODUCTION TO PHONETICS IN ACTION:
https://www.seeingspeech.ac.uk/

I also highly recommend another couple of resources besides the
prescribed book at your college/university, later for sure.

--
With warm regards
Solomon S

farhan israk

Thank you.

--
With warm regards
Solomon S

You may also be interested in this topic on the main group from last march:  NVDA and the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA)

The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.’

       ~ Isaac Asimov