Replacing Easychirp

John J. Boyer

Hello,

I've been using Easychirp for years. Just today it has a heading at the top saying that it is no longer being maintained.
That implies that the website may soon disappear. What would be the best replacement? yes, this has been discussed on the main list, but that was a long time ago.

Thanks,
John

--
John J. Boyer
Email: john.boyer@abilitiessoft.org

You're wise to be seeking out an alternative prior to EasyChirp actually breaking.  That being said, it will probably keep working until and unless Twitter changes something with its API (application programming interface) that others use to interface with it.  I have no idea how frequently Twitter might tweak its API, as some do this almost never while others (eBay, this means you!) change almost constantly.

See:  https://tink.uk/accessible-twitter-applications/  (and ignore the Accessible Twitter bit at the beginning, as that doesn't open and was by the same developer as EasyChirp)

and https://www.afb.org/blindness-and-low-vision/using-technology/using-social-media-visual-impairment-or-blindness-1

Chicken Nugget appears to be a popular choice, though it costs $15, but they allow a trial.

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide

Hope Williamson <webspinner@...>

Chicken Nugget is definitely no more, long ago. That happened when Twitter tweaked it's API the last time lol.

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 08:19 PM, Hope Williamson wrote:
Chicken Nugget is definitely no more, long ago.
-
Not a shock, really.  It's appalling that when a given piece of software "dies" that the developers don't note same on the website, much like the folks at EasyChirp did.

Bad manners are bad enough, but leaving this stuff just "hanging out there" makes finding replacements all the more difficult.

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide

Hope Williamson <webspinner@...>

Right now, TWBlue is the only working Twitter client that I know of.
Although I don't think it's being developed, either. https://twblue.es/

On 11/16/2020 2:21 AM, John J. Boyer wrote:
Hello,

I've been using Easychirp for years. Just today it has a heading at the top saying that it is no longer being maintained.
That implies that the website may soon disappear. What would be the best replacement? yes, this has been discussed on the main list, but that was a long time ago.

Thanks,
John

I am so eternally grateful that I made the decision, at the outset of social media, that I wanted no part of it and stuck to that. And that's got nothing to do with accessibility. I saw what was likely to come, and what I expected was understated compared to what has actually transpired.

But to each his or her own.

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide

Gene

I consider social media, especially when combined with mobile devices, to be one of the most serious threats to people in terms of mental health, meaningful use of time, the ability not to have to do anything and just have unstructured time, which is essential, and to our political future. I consider the combination much worse than smoking but smoking was dealt with with considerable effectiveness and this isn't being. it may not be possible, given the way people insist on using it and the combination of concern along with complacence of the general public.

Gene

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 11:02 PM, Gene wrote:
I consider social media, especially when combined with mobile devices, to be one of the most serious threats to people in terms of mental health, meaningful use of time, the ability not to have to do anything and just have unstructured time, which is essential, and to our political future.
-
Well, Gene, it's finally happened - something on which we are in 100% agreement!  ;-)

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide

Gene

We have disagreed on very specific topics. If we discussed others, we might agree on a lot.

Gene