From: "Don H" <lmddh50@adams.net>
To: chat@nvda.groups.io
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2021 12:27:42 -0500
Subject: [chat] scam calls

Now this is a great day for scam calls.
I first got a call that my Social Security has been locked.
Then I got a call that the Feds have locked all my banking and credit
accounts.
And finally I got another scam call saying that I have won the Amazon
lottery.
What a bunch of crap.

Chris

Looks like you are on top of the sucker list, congratulations!

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 01:36 PM, Chris wrote:
Looks like you are on top of the sucker list, congratulations!
-
We're all on top of that list as far as scammers are concerned!  Whether we actually deserve to be there is another thing entirely.

This is one of those situations where it's really impossible to effectively police this stuff even when laws exist.  It's just too darned easy to set up phone farms for short periods of time and move 'em as needed.

The poor wish to be rich, the rich wish to be happy, the single wish to be married, and the married wish to be dead.

       ~ Ann Landers

Don H

Heck I even get calls that display my own phone number on the caller ID and I don't know how many times I get a call from a stranger saying that I called them because my phone number shows up on their caller id.

On 4/2/2021 1:26 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 01:36 PM, Chris wrote:
Looks like you are on top of the sucker list, congratulations!
-
We're all on top of that list as far as scammers are concerned!  Whether we actually deserve to be there is another thing entirely.
This is one of those situations where it's really impossible to effectively police this stuff even when laws exist.  It's just too darned easy to set up phone farms for short periods of time and move 'em as needed.
*/The poor wish to be rich, the rich wish to be happy, the single wish to be married, and the married wish to be dead./*
       ~ Ann Landers

Luke Davis

On Fri, 2 Apr 2021, Brian Vogel wrote:

situations where it's really impossible to effectively police this stuff even when laws exist.  It's just too darned easy to set up phone farms for short
periods of time and move 'em as needed.
Yes and no. The vector of attack has to be the phone companies.
The U.S. phone companies that handle the incoming traffic from these over seas call centers, know who's making the calls.
Someone has to go after them to make it more profitable to block their calls, than it is to allow them.

That strategy is being pursued: https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2021/03/17/robocalls-fcc-fine-spoofed-calls-health-insurance/4734336001/

And, of course, there is this charming story, from earlier this year. Https://www.justice.gov/usao-edva/pr/operator-indian-robocall-scam-pleads-guilty-defrauding-over-5000-us-victims-out-more-8

Luke