"Smart Screen Protection" seems to be getting very aggressive under MS-Edge

Just putting this out there.  I had it block the download of Silenzio v2.0, which I overrode, and just received an email message from someone saying that GO Contact Sync Mod was just blocked by it as well.

Both of these programs are well-known to be safe.  If you hit the link (and I can't for the life of me remember the wording) in the block dialog that allows you to override the block there is also an option as part of that to report the site/item as safe.  I would advise doing so as this will cause the filters to be changed after a sufficient number of reports and prevent others from having to go through all this.

The poor wish to be rich, the rich wish to be happy, the single wish to be married, and the married wish to be dead.

       ~ Ann Landers

matthew dyer <ilovecountrymusic483@...>

Brion,

I have this proble with this on news letters in emails like mac daily news for example. Example. I attempted to report this to Microsoft, but was stopped by a darn captca. I could go no farther.

Matthew

Just putting this out there.  I had it block the download of Silenzio v2.0, which I overrode, and just received an email message from someone saying that GO Contact Sync Mod was just blocked by it as well.

Both of these programs are well-known to be safe.  If you hit the link (and I can't for the life of me remember the wording) in the block dialog that allows you to override the block there is also an option as part of that to report the site/item as safe.  I would advise doing so as this will cause the filters to be changed after a sufficient number of reports and prevent others from having to go through all this.

The poor wish to be rich, the rich wish to be happy, the single wish to be married, and the married wish to be dead.

       ~ Ann Landers

In this case I'm referring to being blocked from downloading installers.  The person who asked me about GO Contact Sync Mod reports it's also stopping them from downloading the installers for Firefox, Brave, and Vivaldi.

I cannot explain why that would be, either, as I can download most installers that have "good reputations" from major software houses.  I've never had anything blocked that was a PDF or DOCX or other document type.

The poor wish to be rich, the rich wish to be happy, the single wish to be married, and the married wish to be dead.

       ~ Ann Landers

By the way, for anyone interested in tweaking, the settings related to Microsoft SmartScreen are under Settings, Update & Security, Windows Security, App & Browser control, Reputation-based Protection.   This is a relatively new addition, but not "brand new as of last week" new addition.  If one activates the Reputation based protection settings link, the following are presented in the pane, and I believe all are on or checked, as I do not remember customizing these other than allowing them to be turned on when the feature was introduced:

  • Check Apps & Files Toggle
  • SmartScreen for Microsoft Edge Toggle
  • Potentially Unwanted App Blocking Toggle (which, if ON, has two associated checkboxes, initially checked)  1. Block Apps.  2. Block Downloads
  • SmartScreen for Microsoft Store Toggle

I suspect that the toggles for Edge and Potentially Unwanted App Blocking may need to be turned off on occasion to let something pass (or you can let it pass in the block dialog).