the audio quest dragonfly series

Hi.

Well I have been going through getting into the dragonfly series and I know this was discussed on the list.

There are 3 versions.

1  the cobolt which from soundlab is round 400 from 500 dollarrs nz.

the red at 249 from 300 nz.

And the black a 150 from 165 nz.

Here's the thing.

After listening to reviews, obviously the best unit with the best processer is the cobolt, however there doesn't seem to be that much difference from that and the red  for what I am doing except its got a phone dongle.

Sound on cobolt is described as warm and all mixed able to handle just about anything.

At the price I may go for it.

The red is middle of the road and I may go for that maybe either or.

The black is the cheapest but having used  andrea cards before I really don't want ultrabright pluss the black can't do high end headphones and the rest can.

The cobolt seems to have a slightly better signal noise module to.

How does the volume control on the red  work.

Its described as digital, is it touch or something and is it easy to handle if it is.

The black has an analog wheel on the device.

However being the black has the lowest outputs etc my plan is to stay middle of the road or the next one up.

I've just got payed from a job I did so have enough for the black.

The red is a hundred more than that, and the cobolt is 250 dollars more than that.

All current units can have updated firmware and feature sets and charts look ok.

For what  I need the red seems to be the one I would go for, however depending on how much extra cash I get over christmas and into boxing day, I could easilly be convinced to get the cobolt especially because of the extra tale dongle that comes with it for usb c connection.

The tail sells for round 50 bucks so already I am getting a 50 dollar extender module for jack which is a bit of a sale since I like bundles.

With all the talk about laptops with no headphone jacks and with me retiring my old outdated and yesteryear sb play, I have been thinking of getting cash for a good sound card.

The cobolt may be what I get in the end because its got everything and then some.

I won't get black because its at the low end, the red still maybe on the cards but even so.

Finally we are approaching end of lockdown here in new zealand so its possible by next year some time trips and things may happen and who knows about stuff.

Right now I have cash, to run with.

Obviously thats not goint to say I will be burning money but I have enough to take out a few tangents still.

Hi.

After reviewing all products, its clear I don't want the black.

So its either the red or the cobolt.

The cobolt has a tail but it doesn't sound like it fits and is less human sounding in some ways than the red, its smaller, and has a faster cpu but thats about it.

To the user I forgot who it is with the red have you ever notice it chipping as this was the only complaint.

According to what hifi which is where I pulled all my reviews whilst eating my curry dinner it doesn't sound like its a big deal as such.

Its more than likely I will be buying the red.

I am not going to use the unit with a smart phone anyway its mainly the pc.

The cobolt sounds nice but for the price even though its smaller and has 30% more power and draws less power I think midrange is where I like to go.

So as I said before the only issue is how does the digital volume control work.

Giles Turnbull

Hi Shaun,

owning both the Red and the Cobalt, if I were only buying one of them
I would pick the Red. It's not that the Cobalt sounds less human, but
it isn't quite as warm a sound as the Red.

There is no volume control. Both Red and Cobalt amplify the sound
compared to what you get when plugging the headphones directly into
the computer's headphone socket, but the volume is controled by the
level on the computer.

I think you mean clipping rather than chipping. and no, I have not
noticed any clipping with music played through the Red. Neither Red or
Cobalt provide that much amplification to be honest. My Chord Mojo on
the other hand produces an incredible amount of amplification but it
does have volume control so I can adjust the volume to suit whatever
track or album I am listening to.

Now I have the Mojo, I am thinking of selling either the Red or the
Cobalt, because I don't need both. With rare exceptions, I never use
my phone for listening to music so the tail that came with my Cobalt
is untested. If I do sell one of the DACs it'll most likely be the
Cobalt, because it's newer, has the tail, costs more and I just prefer
the Red! But I only use the Audioquest devices because I hate the
Realtek system configuration window poppping up any time I connect
headphones to my devices. That doesn't happen when connecting
headphones through the Audioquest DACs.

although you can compare facts and figures and decide that one device
is better than another because it has better numbers on paper, you'll
only really know how that translates into the sound of a device when
you listen to it. In HiFi terms, you hear this with tube
amplification. Tube amplifiers are very low powered compared to solid
state amplifiers. A tube amp might only be 10W compared to a 25W
entry-level solid state HiFi amp, or the 200W Sony thing that a
flatmate of mine had when I was a student a couple of years ago. But
tube amps can be incredibly musical to listen to, and the important
part of the equation is what equipment you partner it with. Listening
to either the Red or the Cobalt through a pair of headphones that cost
£10, you're unlikely to notice any difference. Upgrade to something
like the not widely-known headphone maker, 1 More (which is written as
the number 1 and no space between it and the word More) who make
triple driver and quad driver earbuds, and you may notice the
difference.

Giles

[...]

Hmmm thats what I figured.

Reading reviews about all the devices, the cobolt was in the high price range.

From soundlab with tax and free shipping the red is round 298.

Being it was black friday and after looking at several reviews since the discussion of last week, I ended up getting that.

The only issue with the red aparently is it can chip and thats only the case cover so its not a big issue.

I will be plugging headsets into it, I have also a usb microphone but I will be trying to see what my 3d portable andrea thinks of it.

I must say that the manual for audioquest stuff was easy to understand and highly accessible.

The updater also seems to be accessible out of the box without much work.

For the price tag and what I was going to use it for, the red ended up being my choice.

More over the cash from my big test job has covered half of it and well yeah it just works.

I want high quality but the highest quality device I will be connecting to it is my senheiser hd 410s, which cost me a couple hundred and my andrea 3d headset which didn't.

I didn't bother with the noise filter since I already have a gaming grade usb hub here.

However I decided even though it cost me 50 more dollars I would go and grab the usb tail cord so I could plug the thing into my hub or computer without any real issue with it blocking other ports.

It sounds like on cobolt according to tests that the stock tail that plugs in doesn't fit right but again its no real loss.

I have some raser chromo speakers and an amp with good speakers on it.

Well second class speakers.

I used to have some spender speakers but my room and the big speakers, well they really rocked the house.

However I don't need huge speakers for my medium size room.

Smaller speakers from an older stereo which I guess would sound utter crap in a large room sounded fine enough for me in this one.