Tutorials on Creating Accessible MS-Word Fillable Forms Plus Examples of Those Forms

In response to the latest set of questions about accessible, fillable forms in MS-Word I did a major rewrite of my tutorial about same, using Word 2016 for the screenshots, keyboard shortcuts, etc., to bring it entirely up to date (as nothing has changed from 2016 through Office 365 in this respect). I tried to make the tutorial on creating them accessible as well.  Screenshots have alt-text and I've tried to include all of the keyboard shortcuts for actually creating the legacy form content controls and adding the help text to them so that a screen reader announces what you've landed on and, if you hit F1, give additional details when that's necessary (or just repeat what you have focus on at the moment if you walked away or otherwise got distracted and need to refresh your memory).  The target audience is really sighted individuals, most of whom have never even attempted to make a fillable form, and if they have, they've almost certainly not bothered to add the help text to the various form fields, and that's the part that actually makes these things accessible.

Microsoft Word Accessible Fillable Forms Tutorials

Creating Accessible Microsoft Word Fillable Forms.docx

Converting a Fillable Word Form to a Document Whose Contents Can Be Copied or Edited.docx

Examples of MS-Word Accessible Fillable Forms

            Simple_Fillable_Form.dotx  (the one used in the tutorial on creating them)

            BusNoteForm.dotx  (actually used in a local school, but anonymized; has a date field automatically populated with today's date when form is used)

            Faux_Service_Invoice_Fillable_Form.dotx

            NVDA_GitHub_Issue_Template.dotx

The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.’

       ~ Isaac Asimov

Hi,
Thanks for the tutorial, that was helpful.
One question (not sure if it is related or not), what is the keyboard shortcut to activate the dropdown list, so that a screen reader user can select items in the combo box?

Actually, I had that question myself, and it took me a bit of time to figure out the answer.  ALT+DownArrow opens the dropdown for selection and down and up arrow after its open allows you to traverse the list for selection.

The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.’

       ~ Isaac Asimov

Hmmm, when I pressed alt+down on the combo box, it takes me to a different form control...

On Fri, Nov 27, 2020 at 08:38 PM, Supanut Leepaisomboon wrote:
when I pressed alt+down on the combo box, it takes me to a different form control...
It's the only thing I know of to cause a dropdown to present its list in MS-Word.  And I'm not the only one who found that this works:  https://groups.io/g/office-accessibility/message/884

One has to have double clicked/activated the document template file so that an actual instance of a document, which is the fillable form, has been opened.  It does not work this way when you're editing the DOTX template file, or creating one and putting in a dropdown control.

The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.’

       ~ Isaac Asimov

I tried what you suggested and yet the focus moves to a different form control. I'm using NVDA on the latest Windows 10 20H2 build, and Office365 for your information.

Gene

In where you are working, is there any possibility that browse mode may be on? I don't work with such forms and I don't know if the qquestion is relevant but if you were in browse mode, the behavior you describe would be expected.

Gene

I tried what you suggested and yet the focus moves to a different form control. I'm using NVDA on the latest Windows 10 20H2 build, and Office365 for your information.

Oh thanks for the tip, it actually worked after pputting NVDA into browse mode.

Gene

But it shouldn't have worked in browse mode. Are you saying you put it in or took it out of browse mode?

Gene

Oh thanks for the tip, it actually worked after pputting NVDA into browse mode.

I was saying that I put it in browse mode. I just perform another test and I can confirm that by putting NVDA in browse mode the combo box worked as expected (this was done using a test form I created myself using this tutorial, and also the example simple form provided in the first post).

Gene

That's very odd. You would think the opposite would be the case.

Gene