Uploading Personal ID To Application?

David Russell

Dear NVDA Chat,

I am in the process of opening an account with a reputable online
investment trader service. They want a pictured ID as part of their
application.
Where can I find the how to do this as a blind user?

I live in the US, and assume uploading a pictured ID to now be
standard protocol by day trading sites. Thanks in advance.

--
David C. Russell, Author
david.sonofhashem@gmail.com

I don't think anyone can answer your question specific to any one company.  That being said, this is generally done in one of two ways:

1. You scan your driver's license/ID card and save the image.  Somewhere in the online application they will ask you to upload/attach that image.

2.  Somewhere in the online application there will be a step where the identification is actually scanned.  You're asked to place it on your scanner, hit some button, then they trigger the scanner and upload the result.

Option #1 is far more common than option #2.

The poor wish to be rich, the rich wish to be happy, the single wish to be married, and the married wish to be dead.

       ~ Ann Landers

Gene

Would you need help even if you have a scanning program and can scan and save the image? Would you scan one side of the card or two sides and wouldn't they want the image facing a certain way?

Gene

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 03:06 PM, Gene wrote:
Would you need help even if you have a scanning program and can scan and save the image?
-
Gene, you might, you might not.  Most blind individuals I know have way more familiarity on just precisely how to place things for the scanner(s) they're using than many of my sighted clients do.

I am simply willing to presume that someone who uses a given piece of equipment frequently, and probably for OCR purposes, will know how to place the items.

I can't say whether there'd be a complaint were someone to scan an ID card upside down, as I'm fairly certain some places won't care and will correct in their records while others will not, but they'll at least tell you what's happened.  Any site asking for scanned ID should tell you whether one or both sides of the card is/are needed.  I wasn't delving into that at all.

Of course, if you've got either a sighted assistant to ensure that orientation is correct, or you've actually got a system such as putting a small piece of tape in a corner on the front such that you know which end is up, for instance, there's unlikely to be an issue.  In the case of Virginia driver's licenses and photo ID cards, the ID number, date of birth, and date of expiration are all "engraved" and can be felt on the front side of the ID, with the ID number being the longest and at the top.  I don't presume this exact thing applies elsewhere, but I would not be surprised if it's got variants on the theme that are at least fairly common.  I don't have an old driver's license handy, but I am now wondering if this "engraving" might have started with the Real ID requirements, as I recently renewed my license as a Real ID compliant piece of identification.

The poor wish to be rich, the rich wish to be happy, the single wish to be married, and the married wish to be dead.

       ~ Ann Landers

Luke Davis

David

First, I have an interest in daytrading--if you have any suggestions for more than usually accessible sites that facilitate it, I would be interested in hearing about them.

As to your question:

It is significantly variable from company to company.

Some of those I have worked with lately, either had an option to enter the ID information manually (number, expiration date, issue date), or have a "can not scan" option which will allow you to do the same thing.
Digital Federal Credit Union, for example, doesn't give you the obvious option to not scan, but do have a "scan didn't work" kind of option.
The Social Security Administration, on the other hand, has a very direct "enter manually" option.

As Brian described, scanning can be easy--just put it on the scanner and run scan, presuming you know how to do that.
However, there is a problem.
They may not accept that.
Their software is expecting you to use a phone camera to take the picture, and upload the JPG or PNG. In that case, especially if you crop it as they expect, the ID will be large and in center frame.
Whereas with scanning, it will be small, and could be anywhere in a large area.
Some of them simply can't handle that. (The above mentioned DCU, for example).

In those cases, sometimes they still support faxing the ID to them (though this is getting rare). You can often use your scanner to do that, and in those cases they have a human review the document, so it's not a problem.

If all else fails: you can only have someone take the picture for you, upload that, and then call an accessibility rights lawyer to determine your options (there are several likely options for this situation, which shouldn't cost you anything).

Luke