Re: A possible problem in NVDA regarding links

Jackie

NVDA says "clickable" on those links. Viewing the source, they're not
exactly the standard types of links one would expect. I have to agree
w/Brian V that the design of the webpage sucks, I guess at least they
have "accessibility labels". Most of these agencies put these webpages
together w/stuff that God only knows what it is, (because most of them
don't), and it looks (and generally acts) like it. But the word
"clickable" tells you it can be clicked (or, hopefully, activated by
means of pressing enter or space on the keyboard. so I can't say I
think this is a problem w/NVDA. And, in actuality, given my look at
the source, I think calling them links isn't really technically
correct, though that is how they function.

On 10/30/22, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
Also, I don't want what I said to get lost, that JAWS sees the text as
links.

Gene
On 10/30/2022 12:33 PM, Gene via groups.io wrote:
You said you looked using heading elements and that evidently explains
the problem.  I looked using links and they aren't shown as links,
there is no text.  If I switched to heading elements, I expect I would
see them.  The reason I checked with the links list set to display
links is because I wanted to see if there might be a difference
between what is read on the web page itself and what the links list
shows.

I had wondered at first if you were looking at the screen but on
further thought, I don't think that would matter.  I would expect the
lists to be displayed visually with the same information as the
screen-reader speaks.

Gene

On 10/30/2022 11:59 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
I'm off for the afternoon to help build sets for our next production
at ShenanArts.  But I went to that webpage again using NVDA and
employing the elements list with headings elements.

Every heading element reads correctly.  Moving to that heading gives
focus on the link for the video in question.  Activating that link
causes the video to play.

So I say again, there's no NVDA issue here, there's an abominable
page design here.  Everything works as expected, but the organization
is a labryinthine hell for a screen reader user who has no knowledge
of the page's organization.  Not what you want when putting a webpage
together with screen reader users as the primary demographic.
--

Brian - Virginia, USA- Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 22H2, Build 19045

*/There are many people who can only make themselves feel better
about themselves by making themselves feel better than others. /*

    ~ Commenter /Looking_in/ on the /Washington Post/, 7/10/2014

--
Jackie McBride
Be a hero. Fight Scams. Learn how at www.scam911.org
Also check out brightstarsweb.com & mysitesbeenhacked.com