Re: Accessing the Recovery Pane in Excel

On Wed, Nov 23, 2022 at 08:19 PM, Luke Davis wrote:
I get that there may be a fine line between "how do I do that with NVDA", and "how do I do that in Excel", but he clearly already knows how to do it in Excel, as he explained the steps. What he's trying to figure out is how to do it with NVDA, which instructions may differ significantly from Jaws or Narrator. Or if it can even be done with NVDA,
-
Actually, Luke, I don't believe he knows how to do it in Excel.  He's explained the steps he's taken, and those don't make any sense to me, and while I do not have an exhaustive knowledge of Excel, I am familiar with Office Recovery panes.

And I disagree with you, vehemently, that it's at all likely that what needs to be done would vary significantly between screen readers.  This is about how to get to something in Excel, and I have yet to see a case where in discussions of doing something like this, the screen reader and the commands used are not incidental.

I have pretty much explained that any question of the form, "How do I do {insert thing here} with {insert program here} with NVDA?," is almost certainly about the commands of {insert program here}, not NVDA.  I stand by that assessment, and I stand by it if you insert JAWS or Narrator instead of NVDA.  With the very rare exception of a bug in a given screen reader, these discussions always focus, intensely, on the keyboard commands of the program being accessed.  

The only exceptions to the above I've seen is when NVDA add-ons, that are focused on a specific program or narrow range of programs, is being asked about.  Put most simply, "Read all is read all, activate is activate, etc."  That's what you're doing with the screen reader.  Opening the Styles menu in Word is about Word, as an example, and the screen reader being used is almost entirely irrelevant.
--

It used to be understood that if you published and profited from a mass media platform you should also be responsible for its content. That idea is nowadays considered quaintly archaic. There is no real accountability, and almost limitless ability to post any kind of ridiculous and scurrilous nonsense. God help us.

~ Ross Goldbaum, Letter to the New York Times,

Regulating Media: It’s Now Seen as a Quaint Idea, November 13, 2022

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.