Re: On Reviving Very Old Topics, AKA Necro-posting #adminnotice

On Thu, Nov 24, 2022 at 03:08 PM, Louise Pfau wrote:
When I come across some very old topics that are relevant to my current situation through searching the web interface, I reply to the posted topic so the original information is always there.
-
Louise,

Which is fine, but you have to remember that the "information is always there" if and only if you are using the web interface, which was my point.  I, too, use the web interface so if someone happens to post to an ancient topic that's relevant to their current situation, I, too, can see that history and try to determine how "then and now" relate to each other.  But most of the membership here does not use the web interface (and more's the pity, but that's a personal choice) and, as a result, if something is posted to a topic that was last active 2 years ago, they have none of that information at their fingertips.

Thats why I suggest that if you (any you) are adding on to a long dormant topic that you've found in the archive, regardless of how you're adding to it, that you include a link to that topic so that it's very, very easy for anyone who wants to review the history to do so by activating that link.

One of the reasons, among many, that I prefer web forum interfaces is that they do keep topics "neatly packaged" and if someone happens to revive an old one the old information is right there at your fingertips.  But when I'm dealing with either an old topic, or making references to other topics, I make a point of including a link [usually in click-through text format using the topic(s) title(s)] so that the necessary context is communicated.

Brian
--

It used to be understood that if you published and profited from a mass media platform you should also be responsible for its content. That idea is nowadays considered quaintly archaic. There is no real accountability, and almost limitless ability to post any kind of ridiculous and scurrilous nonsense. God help us.

~ Ross Goldbaum, Letter to the New York Times,

Regulating Media: It’s Now Seen as a Quaint Idea, November 13, 2022

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.