Re: very basic configuration

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

The functionality is trivial.  Getting it to act as a plugin would probably take more code than the reading would. :)  At the moment, I don't know how to make things plugins for web browsing or otherwise, but I could look into it.  It can't be impossibly difficult, or folks wouldn't be writing plugins.  Would you want it for web browsing, or something else? I'm thinking the simplest thing to do would be to make it a windows add-on, so it would show up in any program that uses windows standard controls (you know, file, edit, view, ...).Perhaps add it to the view menu or something similar.  I'll do some digging and see how difficult this would be to implement.

Hi

I know what you are talking about i used to use something like that that used microsoft agent 2.0 I think it was.

I would highlight the stuff i wanted read out then hit a key combo then it was read out. It was more for written content webpages etc

Out of curiosity would it be hard to make a add on that could do that?

My wife works with people with reading difficulties and as a tool she uses NVDA with a few of them. They are not visually impaired or blind.

Part of the feedback was slowing down the voice changing it etc At present a few of them changed what can be read under the mouse.

Others she uses magnification with speech.

Gene nz

On 11/11/2016 10:06 AM, Travis Siegel wrote:

Apparently, this functionality isn't built into windows anymore.  I know you used to be able to highlight text, then select options, and have it read outloud if you wanted it.  My wife says she uses a browser plugin to make this happen now, so perhaps you could find one for librioffice as well, that does the same thing.  If you can't find anything, let me know, it would be trivial to write a program that would allow you to paste text in and have it read outloud.  (probably about 10 or 20 lines of code using powerbasic).

Hi

You might be able to try the following.

You could always turn mouse tracking off then back on if you need it.

To turn off mouse tracking on a desktop pc use the nvda key + the letter M

You should hear NVDA say if it is on or off. for example mouse tracking on.

this will read what is under the mouse.

you could always change the text resolution as well.

It can be set to character, word, line and paragraph.

these settings can be found under the mouse settings section in NVDA. to quickly get there with a desktop use the nvda key + ctrl key + the letter m

I know there might be some other settings to turn off, but would have to check. These i think for the reporting of menus etc i would have to check.

You could also turn off punctuation etc i guess it depends what you want to do.

I am not aware of a shortcut key to toggle between characters and paragraphs. Maybe this might be able to be done if a ticket is put in.

Gene nz

On 10/11/2016 11:48 PM, David Dand wrote:
Hello,

I am trying out NVDA. I am not disabled (apart from some dyslexia). I want to use NVDA to read back paragraphs or lines in Libre Office so I can do an audio check as I sometimes read words in the way 'I want to see them'. All the system wide information given as I move my cursor/mouse is driving me crazy. Is there a way I can have a simple configuration that allows me to point and click to read a paragraph/line and hear nothing nothing else?

Thanks in advance for your help

Avast logo

Avast logo