Re: Reading .brf books

Gene

The person said he wants to use a braille display and not have the braille translated.  He wants things displayed in the grade written.  You would want the dollar sign displayed as a dollar sign.  You would know from context if it is a dollar sign or the letters ed.  The person is using a Braille display.

From: Dan Beaver
Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2016 4:48 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Reading .brf books

Well, grade 2 braille includes contractions like the dollar sign for the letters "ed" in what we used to call US braille at least.  I am  not familiar with braille from other countries and am not very familiar with UEB yet.  In a BRF file notepad displays the dollar sign as a dollar sign.  See what problems this kind of contraction can cause?

Dan Beaver

On 11/15/2016 5:13 PM, Gene wrote:
I don't know what is different about grade 2 Braille files.  I thought they were text files because my recollection from using the Braille 'n Speak is that when typing with the translator on, they are just text files.  Evidently, there are some sort of differences I don't know about.