Re: spss inaccessibility: absolutely inexcusable

enes sarıbaş

hi,

All my complaints on this matter are 100% justified. And also, I am not a nvda novice. I tried object nav and nvda cannot access any elements in the spss window. Every movement made in the spss window generates an error tone for each element encountered.

On 11/16/2016 4:44 PM, Jacques wrote:
I usually don't like sending "I agree" messages to a mailing list, but this one will have to be an exception. I fully agree with Erik, it's a pity that some people's talents are limited to complaining.

If the commercial screen readers were so great, those thinking so should stick to it and leave the NVDA devs and contributors to make a great product even greater.

I've been around the block a few times, since the old Window Bridge days, and everything and anything in between, always seeking better ways to get the job done. NVDA is the screen reader I exclusively use now. Folks should read the user guide and explore the wonder of the object navigator. It has often enough got me out of a sticky situation, yes, also where the commercial products failed.

Off my soap box.

A good day to all.

Jacques

On Wednesday, 16 November 2016 15:25, Erik burggraaf wrote:
Why is this inexcusible? SPSS is at least 20 years old, probably more.
It has several iterations, including the ability to build custom web
apps for using spss databases. It's a monstrously expensive proprietary
institutional software made by people with very little demonstrated
interest in including the blind community.
Only part of the support we enjoy in N vda is developer direct. Items
like office and adobe support came to us sponsored by microsoft and
adobe. Other features came from third party developers , or by funding
from private individuals. The NVDA Remote add-on for example of one
such project.

There's a reason why freedom scientific charged thousands of dollars.
They carried the weight of the accessibility world on their shoulders,
and despite what you may think, they were very unsteady on their feet
most of the time. Still, as you say, they often got the job done.

Using NVDA allows you to take charge of your own accessibility in a
manner that jaws never did. If you paid top dollar for jaws and found
that it didn't meet a specific need, you filed a report and prayed
support would come around in a year or two or three after you paid a
little more. Meanwhile, maybe some one with your exact issue paid
extravigant amounts of money to a script developer to make jaws do what
you need it to do, but the development work belonged to the corporate
entity who developed it, and they're not making any information about it
available because they don't think they can make money from it, and they
don't want other companies duplicating their work for nothing. Hooray
for old paradigm corporate accessibility.

With NVDA, you can leverage the power of a huge and highly reputible
open source community. In stead of making this all about your
acceptence and your outrage, why not take charge of the issue? Network
with other blind students and professionals who use SPSS. Network with
federally funded institutions who use SPSS. Bring some private backing
to java or whoever makes the thing and ask for corporate support to make
SPSS compatible with nvda, either by upgrades to the software itself,
enhanced NVDA support, or a combination of the two. If you approach
people the right way, work hard, and make the right connections, you can
make a project like this happen much faster in the NVDA system than you
could waiting for freedom scientific to build and maintain what you need.

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you right away, but NVDA is your screen
reader. You decide what it supports and what not. If there is anything
we can do to help you get the support you need, I'm sure we will be appy
to help, but you'd better begin by accepting the situation as is if you
want to go forward.

Best,

Erik

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

On November 16, 2016 5:52:19 AM enes sarıbaş <enes.saribas@...>
wrote:

hi,

I got spss to be slightly more accessible by enabling the java access
bridge. However, nvda cannot read any of the controls. The log shows a
windows access violation error. I find this to be absolutely
unacceptable that nvda doesn't support such an important program. The
same program works flawlessly with jaws.