Re: making a program accessible (was spss inaccessibility: absolutely inexcusable)

mk360

You can see the NVDA development guide, which is located on the NVDA git repository. The guide has examples and other information... also you need to know python.

Regards,
mk.

On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 4:28 PM, Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...> wrote:

If I wanted to get others to do the work, I wouldn't be asking how to do the task myself now would I??

Look.  I've written jaws scripts before to make things accessible (both for myself and others). But, I haven't used a windows machine in more than ten years, and now that I have a new windows machine, I'm finding the windows world sadly lacking in accessible programs in various arenas, and despite obstacles being thrown up at every turn, I'm actually trying to do something about that.  Believe me, I'm sorely tempted to just junk the whole windows as an os for me idea, and go back to my linux and OSX machines, but I'm trying hard *not* to do that, because I know I can't be the only person who is frustrated by the whole windows experience.  I'm sure there are some who are perfectly happy with their windows experience, and to those folks, I say good for you.  Unfortunately, I am not one of those people, and I'd like to at least attempt to do something about it before throwing in the towel and abandoning windows (again).  So, at least try to give me some credit here, and when I ask a question about something, it's generally because I want the answer to that question, not some statement of difficulty, or pass the buck kind of crap. ok?

Now, with all of that said.

Are there any places I can get information on making programs (already written programs I should qualify) accessible using NVDA? If not, why not, and if so, where are they? I have already downloaded the NVDA source code, and short of combing through all of the source, and memorizing thousands of lines of code, there has to be some way to learn what I need to knowin an easy and organized manner.

The following information has no bearing on this discussion other than in a general way, but I add it just for background information).

When the author of windowbridge died, I contacted his brother, and asked what was going to be done with windowbridge.  After some discussions, I offered to buy the windowbridge source, and continue development on the program, just so folks would have choices in the screen reader market.  I'm a strong proponent of choices, no matter what the area of discussion may be, and I saw (at the time) a real need for another player in the screen reader market.

Things got screwed up (mostly due to UPS), and while I did receive *some* of the required materials to continue work on windowbridge, I never did get the whole development environment, and/or supporting libraries.  As a result, unless I'm willing to rewrite windowbridge from the ground up, there's nothing I can do with the currently existing source code.  I could take the time to rewrite the pieces I need to remove dependencies on the libraries and pieces of code I didn't get, but that likely wouldn't be worth the effort, I could probably write a screen reader from scratch for less effort.

That was part of the reason I left the windows world, other frustrations included the gaming community, and how just plain rude they were to developers, and the fact that apple came out with this shiny new operating system that was accessible right out of the box for anyone, and I didn't have to pay extra for my screen reader.

Now, it's been more than ten years since all of that stuff occurred, and although I'm still very much anchored in the linux/OSX/BSD world, I figure enough time has passed, that perhaps the windows world isn't quite as discouraging as it once was, so I'm making another attempt to help the vi community by helping out where I can, and that appears to be in making NVDA more accessible to more programs.  I'm not a fan of python, but I'm not opposed to working with it if it will benefit the blind community as a whole.

Now, with all of that said, if anyone has any suggestions on where I can find the information I'm after (preferably without digging through thousands of lines of code) I'd be happy to hear them.  If no such documentation exists, then perhaps I'll work on creating such information to make it easier for the next person who wants to help.

On 11/16/2016 1:55 PM, Gene wrote:
How much learning and work do you want to do?  others will probably comment on this but there are people in the community who will work on making programs accessible when requested.  But how many there are and how available their services are, I don't know.  I'm sure you can learn how to do things like script but you might rather look into having someone do this.

Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2016 12:46 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] making a program accessible (was spss inaccessibility: absolutely inexcusable)

It's a disk management program written in C++, but that is immaterial.  The process for making a program accessible with NVDA should be documented/discussed somewhere, and I want to find that documentation, so I can make this program accessible whether it be via scripting, or some other process.  Once that's done, I'll more than likely use the same process (assuming there is such a process) to make other not accessible programs usable.  Perhaps this is the wrong list to be asking these questions, but I have to start somewhere.

On 11/16/2016 1:12 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

What sort of base program are we talking about here?

A great many programs (again, depending on age and how widely used) introduced alternate text to allow graphics of any type to be labeled and most screen readers rely on that alternate text to tell you what the graphic you've landed on happens to be.

It's well nigh impossible to tell anything meaningful based on most icon file names.  I'm also trying to envision the sort of program being discussed, which is almost certainly not web based (or you'd have scripting support related to browser already in place) but does present information on the screen.  Since icons are mentioned I'd have to believe a GUI is involved, too.

    ~ Lauren Bacall

Avast logo

Avast logo