Re: Need to advise a sitghted person

Gene

If all they want to do is copy and paste text without worrying about formatting such as tables, it is not necessary to use NVDA.  and my guess is that doing so might raise a lot of problems for sighted users.  Sighted people may not see an accurate reflection of where they are on the page, according to a thread yesterday. 

But without using a screen-reader, they can select an entire page and copy it to the clipboard.  I've done it with no screen-reader running using control a and control c. 

If they want to preserve formatting, perhaps they can paste what has been copied into a word processor.  If not, they can paste it into notepad.  They can then copy and paste as they usually do. 

I don't know what can be done on a web page with the mouse in terms of selecting.  My suggestion is intended to give them another option if they need it. 

There are so many discussion forums on the Internet, why don't the people in question discuss this matter on a site with forums like Bleeping Computer.  Sighted students copy and paste all the time when writing papers.  I find it very difficult to believe that what you are discussing can't be done in some way on the web page itself..

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, November 18, 2016 2:47 AM
Subject: [nvda] Need to advise a sitghted person

This is an odd one, but maybe somebody here can assist.
 Basically, I needed to get some articles out of a web site so I merely
highlighted the lines in firefox, and cut and pasted them into word.
 Now I'm guessing that I'm using the virtual buffer of nvda to do this, as
my sighted  friends want to do this but say with a mouse no nvda etc and
firefox it simply does not work.
 So, is this true. Do we actually have an ability the sighted do not have
here?
 If so, then if I get them to install nvda, turn of the voice presumably
they should now be able to do as I do, but will that work with the mouse or
will they have to use the keyboard and possibly need the add on which shows
the cursor up on screen in order to do it?
  Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.