Hello,

I have and continue to recommend Sophos Home for accessibility reasons, and also because it is highly rated y independent labs. Moreover, Sophas tends to sell their products to businesses mostly, and have a very reliable product. They are 100% accessible.

Thanks.

On Sat, Nov 19, 2016 at 1:10 PM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
I didn't keep your last message in this thread so it won't be quoted below.  but I'm glad we had the exchange.  Empahsizing the importance of the user knowing how to protect him/herself may be construed by some as an implied view that it is unimportant to use antimalware programs if you know how to protect yourself in other ways.  I am therefore, pleased that it has been clarified that your position is that such a program or programs should be used even if you know how to protect yourself by safe practices.

Sent: Saturday, November 19, 2016 11:44 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Anti Virus

I have seen virtually any antivirus or security suite you can name either praised to the high heavens or called almost completely useless.  It really depends on who's doing the reviewing and the metrics they're using.

As has been said here, and elsewhere, antivirus programs are not and should not be considered your first line of defense against infection.  Your own browsing habits play a far, far greater role in that.  Good browsing hygiene will keep you quite safe, if not 100% so.

If you have not been infected nor had whatever antivirus or security program you've been using report anything being quarantined in a very long time you can be reasonably certain that your browsing habits are OK.  If you're constantly infected or have things quarantined without actually having been infected it would be very wise to start looking at precisely when, how, and why this is happening.  Most infections are the direct result of user action, not some backdoor entry.

Windows Defender has proven more than adequate for more users on more machines than I can count at this point in my career.   Nothing is perfect, some competitors may be better, but Windows Defender is not even close to "junk".

This thread entitled, Windows Defender as an integral part of Windows 10, which just started yesterday on bleepingcomputer.com's Windows 10 Support Forum, is worth reading [disclaimer: I've got two posts in that thread so far, but that's not why I think it's worth looking at].

    ~ Lauren Bacall