Re: Anti Virus

Sounds like she got scared by the shop.
A virus can't destroy a computer.
The only way that this can happen is if it gets in the bios and since normal users can't get access to those, the only way this ever happens is if someone connects a memmory stick or other device with a virus in its firmware in the first place.
It can happen where for example in apple computers there was a thunderbolt security issue.
And there have been autorun viruses but not many.
I do know this, you can't just contract one out of the blue even if you downloaded one.
I guess you could get something that ran your drive till it died or something but destroy your ram, or something no.
The only other way a virus could destroy a system is Iguess make your cpu overheat to a point where it melted.
Or over charge your battery in your laptop till it exploded but you would notice it before it got that bad.

On 20/11/2016 7:28 a.m., Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:
Hi, Arleen,

I try to be very careful about what sites I visit. My next-door neighbor
told me that one time she had a virus and it totally destroyed her
computer. I don't know how she got it but she had to end up getting a
brand-new computer.

Rosemarie

On 11/19/2016 10:15 AM, Arlene wrote:

Also, if you visit sites. Even if you have IE or firefox or edge clean
out the history. You may have to manually get rid of history. Even
though you have your virus scan up to date always clean your hystery.
I have my computer not remember passwords even though it asks. If you
are on sites you login always log out. Sites like drop box or
others. Someone in the xp days told me to always log out and I always
do it.