Re: Anti Virus

Well just for the heck of it I googled the question this is the first answer I got.
http://askbobrankin.com/can_a_virus_really_destroy_your_hard_drive.html
Now viruses are not the most destructive things that can go wrong.
Ransomware is a little higher but the worst viruses are those that have configured or have misconfigured systems.
People assume that the default is good and it may not be.
Often when I have recieved a system for maintaining I go through their programs list, malware scan the system, update drivers and bios then ask about them what is this, what is it used for.
9 times out of 10 I get, a site told me it was good, or a friend told me it was good or it came from the system, or I couldn't afford program x and the x place said I needed y z program and I can't buy it so I had to crack it and now I have a virus or something so I loeded 20 programs to get rid of it.
Firstly, if someone is telling you you need x program you probably do.
You can probably get round with another program unless you need the spaciffic functionality, look at microsoft office.
Yes I'd like it, no I don't need it.
True I loose outlook but I have thunderbird, firefox, openoffice and others, I have jarte for my word processer, etc, etc.
Next, While there are a lot of bad hackers out there, a lot are actually putting those skills to good use, for as many comercial programs out there there is probably an opensource app which may do some if not all the functions or bits.
In the beginning I had a professional cd creating program, I couldn't afford it so like most of us in the 90s I cracked it.
Later on with all the crazyness going round I looked for what I needed.
Goldwave cost me 40 bucks but had a cd extracter in it.
I got a reasonably expensive ocr solution and also a video converter suite.
I have a free youtube software on top of that and a free cd creation program, and there are other ways.
I had winzip for ages because it was the best but I always had to get past the reg screen so I hacked that.
Now after it became inaccessible I use 7zip which does the same thing but is faster.
You don't always find what you want especially when a free program goes bust sometimes but there are ways to get round as long as you can throw the bulky suite away and use 5 different modules.
You have to adapt.
Next if you get it came with the system.
Then read the forking manual, search it online and you will probably find that most of what it came with the system crap is just crap.
And if not it needs to be configured or it can be removed if absolutely not needed.
There are bits of crap I choose to leave on my system that control sensors and power and the like but I know I could have done with the minimal.
The only things you really need are the drivers for your core pc devices, prodcessers, video, sound and thats it.
Storage is good, and your usb ports.
Over that sensors if they have anything maybe network cards and utilities for the sensors.
If you are a hunking programmer or a guy that wants to fiddle with his bits then install the big utility suite, and some extras.
And if you want the backup program and like it install and buy that.
If you don't mind the games install those and whatever.
If you are in a business and can use accessibly the remote app and the other sharing use them.
Most users won't need that stuff.
You will never need the office trials, the wild tangent games or the outdated programs, trials and other junk installed on a system.
If someone said I heard it from a friend or a site, I usually look at it myself.
Now if its a friend and you know they used it and it was good fine but even so.
Its like the person that says windows10 made my system not work and so I will sue ms because I had to buy another one.
The only time that happens with me or those I maintain is if the system is so old, fixing it would end up with it probably failing later and so I push for a replacement or modification.
Maybe I shouldn't bother fixing systems maybe I should buy some ransomware that basically says your files are encripted because your computer is broken, please give me 5000 dollars to buy you another one.
I wander how many would fall for it.
I suspect a lot.
Its a shame we a re so gullable!!!

On 20/11/2016 7:37 a.m., Gene wrote:
I don't know if any malware can physically damage a computer. Most malware doesn't. it may do all sorts of things you don't want it to do but physically destroying your computer is the least of the worries associated with malware. I don't know anything about your neighbor's knowledge of computers but a high degree of skepticism should be maintained regarding what people tell you unless they have proven records of knowledge and reliability. There is an enormous amount of misinformation constantly being circulated regarding computers and related matters.