Re: Anti Virus

Gene

If this is true, it is a disadvantage but for most users, it will make little difference.  If you are unfortunate enough to come in contact with malware very shortly after release, that is, within one day, you would be more likely to be infected.  Most users aren't exposed to new malware that quickly.  While it's better to get frequent updates during the day, most users are not at significantly more danger if they don't.

Sent: Saturday, November 19, 2016 6:21 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Anti Virus

This just isn't true of Defender at all!  I started my machine at 9:57 AM this morning and it got updates to Defender.  I just checked a few minutes ago, and it got a definition update again and it said that update was created at 10:32 AM.  So I was running an out of date definition database for many hours today.  This is a real problem and needs to be addressed by Microsoft.

Roger

On 11/19/2016 2:47 PM, enes sarıbaş wrote:

hi,

The antivirus I use, avira, has an automatic task to check for updates every 2 hours.

On 11/19/2016 8:48 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Sat, Nov 19, 2016 at 08:00 am, Roger Stewart wrote:
Only caution I'd give is to do a manual check for updates several times a day as their virus database is updated several times a day but the program will only check itself once when you start the computer.

 I have not found this to be the case under Windows 10.  If you open Windows Defender you can see when the last virus definition update has taken place, and that's often very recent even when I've had my machine up and running for days.

This also wasn't the case, at least if I'm recalling correctly, under Windows 8.1 either.  It would make absolutely no sense for any modern antivirus program, and Windows Defender is one, to not auto-update its own definitions and, in fact, itself as new releases are released.

    ~ Lauren Bacall