Re: Anti Virus

Pauline Smith

I also try to practice good and sound computer use.  I am skeptical about opening attachments and visit web sites with caution.  I do schedule my computer for full scanning weekly and may change that to daily.

This brings up a question.  For anyone using Security Essentials on a Windows 7 machine, how do you check to see if any items were quarantined, removed, and such after a scan?  I am using NVDA with the most recent update.

Pauline

On 11/19/2016 1:28 PM, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:

Hi, Arleen,

I try to be very careful about what sites I visit. My next-door neighbor told me that one time she had a virus and it totally destroyed her computer. I don't know how she got it but she had to end up getting a brand-new computer.

Rosemarie

On 11/19/2016 10:15 AM, Arlene wrote:

Also, if you visit sites. Even if you have IE or firefox or edge clean out the history. You may have to manually get rid of history.  Even though you have your virus scan up to date always clean your hystery.  I have my computer not remember passwords even though it asks.  If you are on sites you login always log out.  Sites like drop box or others.  Someone in the xp days told me to always log out and I always do it. 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: November-19-16 9:49 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Anti Virus

On Sat, Nov 19, 2016 at 08:00 am, Roger Stewart wrote:

Only caution I'd give is to do a manual check for updates several times a day as their virus database is updated several times a day but the program will only check itself once when you start the computer.

I have not found this to be the case under Windows 10.  If you open Windows Defender you can see when the last virus definition update has taken place, and that's often very recent even when I've had my machine up and running for days.

This also wasn't the case, at least if I'm recalling correctly, under Windows 8.1 either.  It would make absolutely no sense for any modern antivirus program, and Windows Defender is one, to not auto-update its own definitions and, in fact, itself as new releases are released.
--
Brian

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.

~ Lauren Bacall

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.