Re: Publishing EBooks with NVDA?

Quentin Christensen

Hi David,

I'm being careful what I recommend here as I do have enough sight to use a magnifier and so trying to stick to what I know works with NVDA.

Calibre is a good program for putting together eBooks: https://calibre-ebook.com/

As well as doing ePub, it can convert to and from many other formats, including Microsoft Word.  I've never had a problem with the output in terms of accessibility - it's what we use to compile the NVDA modules with.

In terms of publishing, there are two ways you can go - submit to each site yourself (Apple iBooks, Barnes and Noble, kobo etc, or you can distribute with one of the distribution companies like Smashwords or Draft 2 Digital.

Using a service like Smashwords or Draft2Digital, they usually keep a cut of any sales you make, but do save you from having to upload to each individually.  It also gets around things like you otherwise need a Mac to upload to iBooks, and you can only upload to Barnes and Noble if you are in the US or UK.

None of the big distribution companies seem to do Amazon these days, and as they are the largest book retailer, it's probably worth having your book there.

Back on formatting, Apple at least use: http://validator.idpf.org/ to validate and it's recommended to use that anyway just to make sure.  The only time I had errors was I think when I had things like spaces in filenames.

Regards

Quentin.

On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 5:20 AM, David Russell <david.sonofhashem@...> wrote:
Hello NVDA group,
Websites like www.daisy.org highly recommend author Dave Gunn's
"Accessible eBook Guidelines ....." (title snipped). Have you found
accessibility and or compatibility with major eBook publishing
programs used with a screen reader to be a real, major, challenge or
hurtle?

This question is more for those with no vision or very limited vision.

Alongside that, Dropbox may work well with IOS devices compared to
desktops or laptops, but what cloud portals work well with desktops
and laptops?

Thanks for your input.

--
David Russell